UD Portal Restrictions?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Anomandaris

UD Portal Restrictions?

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:44 am

I apologize if this was answered elsewhere, I did a bit of searching but couldn't find a conclusive set of answers. Surfacers are unable to utilize certain portals in the UD like the Hub (makes sense).

From a RP standpoint, how does the portal know one human from another, where one is an outcast (just a guy with a bad rep) and the other is a human from Cordor (especially if maybe the human from Cordor is CE and the outcast is TN and had bad luck)? Racial discrimination makes more sense, like elves, shield dwarves etc... but I'm not sure I get the IG explanation here.

Secondly, is there a path to getting portal access regardless of your race or start point? Why, why not? Mechanical issue? Strategic decision? If I'm playing a defector from surface and pull off the challenge of actually earning trust in the UD as a surfacer (of any race) should I be unable to travel with any relative convenience in perpetuity? Is there a simple solution like a non-tradeable token that can be issued or something?

I'm all for preserving the the raw, harsh, brutal nature of the UD, and part of that is not letting just any surfacer waltz in there and be able to act like it's home. I for one as a player enjoy it, even being on the other end and facing hostility, walking around on eggshells etc.

Just wondering if there's not a way to make it a possibility should one make it through the right hoops... or if it is.. great now I know!

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Re: UD Portal Restrictions?

Post by Dalenger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 am

Secondly, is there a path to getting portal access regardless of your race or start point? Why, why not? Mechanical issue? Strategic decision?
Because pvp and cheese. The portal in the hub make surface raiding the most popular area in the UD super easy and obnoxious. Imagine if andunor had a portal that went straight into the nomad... ew. The nearest popular portal is the outpost, which isn't super far away but gives the UDers at least a little bit of a warning if a big raid is marching their way.

I can't answer about the RP explanation, but if I had any answer it would be that perhaps outcasts have spent enough time in the UD to be recognized as UDers by the UD restricted portals :s not a great answer, and I'm sure others have better answers.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am

Dalenger wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 am
Secondly, is there a path to getting portal access regardless of your race or start point? Why, why not? Mechanical issue? Strategic decision?
Because pvp and cheese. The portal in the hub make surface raiding the most popular area in the UD super easy and obnoxious. Imagine if andunor had a portal that went straight into the nomad... ew. The nearest popular portal is the outpost, which isn't super far away but gives the UDers at least a little bit of a warning if a big raid is marching their way.

I can't answer about the RP explanation, but if I had any answer it would be that perhaps outcasts have spent enough time in the UD to be recognized as UDers by the UD restricted portals :s not a great answer, and I'm sure others have better answers.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess to clarify, I'd never imagine the Hub portal should be simply available to surfacers. But has an option been discussed/explored to allow select access after sufficient RP? In the event that party pulled some Keyser Soze crap and facilitated a Raid somehow with Yoink or trans tele, that'd be some interesting rp anyway and frankly would be a rare if ever occurrence. I'm talkin about a Matron mother or maybe even DM issuing an occasional token to let a character who's clearly put in the RP work to become an UDer use the portal.

Dalenger
Location: 422nd layer of the abyss, sacraficing some poor sap to Yeenoghu

Post by Dalenger » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:33 am

I'm not sure if gaining the "outcast" mark after char creation via DM intervention gives you access to portals. My knee jerk reaction would be yes? But if the answer is no, the reasonijg is probably because it'd be a pain to code around and isn't high on anyones to-do list.
DM Void wrote: Don't be a salty idiot and everything will be fine.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:59 am

Jordenk wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am
Dalenger wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:01 am

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess to clarify, I'd never imagine the Hub portal should be simply available to surfacers. But has an option been discussed/explored to allow select access after sufficient RP? In the event that party pulled some Keyser Soze crap and facilitated a Raid somehow with Yoink or trans tele, that'd be some interesting rp anyway and frankly would be a rare if ever occurrence. I'm talkin about a Matron mother or maybe even DM issuing an occasional token to let a character who's clearly put in the RP work to become an UDer use the portal.
Yah outcasts can use the portals.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm

Outcasts have access to the portal. You can apply to become an Outcast.

"Outcast

Example Outcast Application Template: ' ' Subject Line: [Character Name's (Log In), , I.E. The Queen of Air and Darkness (Winter Court), Application for Outcast Status.]

Intro: Introduction. Should include any relevant mechanical exiles they have. At least one is REQUIRED for the application to pass in almost all cases.

History relevant to the status. This should include their crimes and actions the surface world would find heinous. Please note having an evil class, alignment, or even living in the underdark are not sufficient for the token. A level of vile renown from the surface lands is what defines the back ground."

http://wiki.arelith.com/Requests_and_PrC_Applications

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:38 pm
Outcasts have access to the portal. You can apply to become an Outcast.

"Outcast

Example Outcast Application Template: ' ' Subject Line: [Character Name's (Log In), , I.E. The Queen of Air and Darkness (Winter Court), Application for Outcast Status.]

Intro: Introduction. Should include any relevant mechanical exiles they have. At least one is REQUIRED for the application to pass in almost all cases.

History relevant to the status. This should include their crimes and actions the surface world would find heinous. Please note having an evil class, alignment, or even living in the underdark are not sufficient for the token. A level of vile renown from the surface lands is what defines the back ground."

http://wiki.arelith.com/Requests_and_PrC_Applications
Oh how arduous, you mean in order to make life more convenient in the UD I must commit vile and heinous acts in the surface until I become infamous... how ever will I manage such a burden?! 😈😈😈

This is exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

A Mystery Clock

Post by A Mystery Clock » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm

Without too many spoilers, there should also still be a FOIG option to become an Outcast that doesn't pass through applications. However, it's irreversible. So if you become an outcast, you're an outcast forever!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:32 pm

A Mystery Clock wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:35 pm
Without too many spoilers, there should also still be a FOIG option to become an Outcast that doesn't pass through applications. However, it's irreversible. So if you become an outcast, you're an outcast forever!
That was removed as far as I'm aware. Right now the only way to become proper outcast is to contact the DM's (unless I'm mistaken)

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm

Anyone who is an outcast or a slave (/prisoner) can use UD portals. Races which are generally seen as surface only can become, and a few are, outcasts. There is no consensus on the RP reasons for suddenly being able to use the portal. Being an outcast isn't irreversible, but you get an MOD if you go through the RP to get out of it.

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:42 pm

As a bit of a side note, being an outcast doesn't make you welcome in Andunor, it just means you can use the portals. Some non-outcast characters are welcome, and some outcast won't be. What matters more is people knowing and trusting you, to some extent.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 pm

Polokko wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Anyone who is an outcast or a slave (/prisoner) can use UD portals. Races which are generally seen as surface only can become, and a few are, outcasts. There is no consensus on the RP reasons for suddenly being able to use the portal. Being an outcast isn't irreversible, but you get an MOD if you go through the RP to get out of it.
Is wearing the collar supposed to give you the ability to use all the portals? I am wearing prisoner collar and cannot.

Zahlfire
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Zahlfire » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:59 pm

Jordenk wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:47 pm
Polokko wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:35 pm
Is wearing the collar supposed to give you the ability to use all the portals? I am wearing prisoner collar and cannot.
No, Prisoners don't get access to the portal.
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 pm

An outcast tag or collar allows people to attune to and use portals, it doesn't just make them appear on the list. Are you sure that prisoner collars don't allow that to happen? I'm pretty sure some people have gotten prisoner collars before just so they can attune to the Hub/ Treadstone, then break the collar. Allowing them to use it as a destination but not a source.

Anomandaris

Post by Anomandaris » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Polokko wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:04 pm
An outcast tag or collar allows people to attune to and use portals, it doesn't just make them appear on the list. Are you sure that prisoner collars don't allow that to happen? I'm pretty sure some people have gotten prisoner collars before just so they can attune to the Hub/ Treadstone, then break the collar. Allowing them to use it as a destination but not a source.
I think I had an issue with the collar earlier... I got a new one applied and just went back to test and you're right! Thanks for helping me figure this out :D Cool to know there's a path for going outcast too and being able to navigate without the collar later down the road.

Zahlfire

Post by Zahlfire » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:30 pm

Polokko wrote:
I was fairly certain that only Slaves and Outcasts can attune/use the portals, but I could be mistaken! Allowing Prisoners to do it seems kinda cheap though as Prisoner collars are easily removed.
The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:48 am
Perhaps the takeaway is not to go 'Ugh. Lesbians... we should cull them.'
Currently plays: N/A

Who to PM and When

Feel free to PM me with Lore questions!

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:31 pm

Polokko wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's an exploit by the way, taking a prisoner collar and then breaking it just for portal access.

Might-N-Magic

Post by Might-N-Magic » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:04 am

It's not too hard to come up with *some* working idea of how... "Detection of a certain quantity of faerzess imbued in a person who spends most of their life in the underdark."

Boom. Done.

It's already bad enough there's other portals in Arundor you can use...

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:27 am

Nitro wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:31 pm
Polokko wrote:
I'm pretty sure that's an exploit by the way, taking a prisoner collar and then breaking it just for portal access.
Yeaaah... someone wearing a prisoner collar should be being rped as, y'know, a prisoner. Now if that's happening then all great! If it's being used just so you guys can hunt better together then... please don't do this.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Polokko

Post by Polokko » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:42 pm

Would just like to say I really don't support it of course, but I have heard things which make me think it's been done before.

Durvayas
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Durvayas » Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:11 am

I legitimately think this entire conversation is moot as long as surface PCs can still attune to the slums portal.

I understand, and even condone, settlements having a 'back way in'. Cordor has the sewers. Andunor has a shadow door, etc.
This is normal. No settlement should be 100% impregnable.
But there is a serious inequity in that Andunor is the only settlement on the entire server where a hostile force can literally portal behind its defenses for raid purposes.

Furthermore, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever for the local government NPCs, to allow this to continue. (There was already one successful raid launched out of the slums portal. There is precedent for it to be attuned the way the hub was to restrict it for friendlies only)

The playerbase in the UD has been clamoring for this portal to be restricted to Andunor PCs only for ages, as we've seen surfacer hit squads, spies, public enemies, known emancipationists, etc using this portal for literally years now. The hub portal restriction prevented people from portaling directly into the hub to raid and troll for PvP. Now, they can just do it a few screens away.
Plays: Durvayas(deleted), Marco(deleted), Hounynrae(NPC), Sinithra Auvry'ndal(rolled), Rauvlin Barrith(Active), Madeline Clavelle(Shelved)