Yuan-Ti spy

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Varonmeer

Yuan-Ti spy

Post by Varonmeer » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:56 pm

Hey guys,

I was fortunate enough to get a greater award for sacrificing my old toon. I decided to make a Yuan-Ti pureblood. To stay true to their mythos, I created a rogue/shadowdancer/fighter build for him. He has a lot of skills, and is a master of stealth and disguises. I intend to utilize poison quite a bit, and to stay true to the way of Sseth. Know thy enemy, plan ahead, and use manipulation rather than open conflict. Subtly is key. I hope this character will be at least as much fun for the community as it is to play him. Has that faithful adventuring companion of yours been an evil, emotionless snake beast all along, using you for his own benefit, and ready to betray you at a moment's notice? Is your secretly Yuan-Ti informant feeding you wrong information, and putting you up against the wrong enemy for his own ends? It should be a great roleplay experience for everyone. Using that high bluff I intend to infiltrate as many social structures as possible, and let people experience the Yuan-Ti pureblood's masterful deception.

I'm struggling to create long-term motivation for this character though. It is very easy for me to play him as someone who racially driven, but that doesn't seem very sustainable. There wouldn't be any mechanics involved in him setting up deals to benefit his non-existent people or acquiring slaves for Yuan-Ti conversion which can't actually be implemented. As a Neutral Evil character it's quite possible to play him as someone who is individually motivated, but what would the point of all the deception be? What could motivate someone to spend all that time infiltrating organizations?

Thanks for the ideas. Sssee you out there.
Last edited by Varonmeer on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Yuan-Ti spy

Post by Arienette » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:29 am

Id say get involved with a faction who needs a good spy.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:00 am

There's options. There's definitely options.

Not that I'm implying I know of any factions who might have interest in such a character. Nope. Not at all what I'm implying.

Definitely not.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 11:44 am

I was hoping to play søs Yuan Ti one day. The overall goal of bringing about the end of the world, while a classic trope, could motivate a lot of the deceit and sabotage. Could also point to other avenues: prophecies, doomsday machinery etc.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:53 pm

I'm playing a yuan-ti spy/assassin as my main right now, so I'll just list my personal experience playing such a character.

Offhand as someone whose been around Arelith for a while, long-term motives usually form IG over time when interacting with people. Stay flexible!

Purebloods that leave their colonies often act as spies, as they can easily pass as humans. That said, they're also the most likely to be influenced by other cultures and ideas, and occasionally discard the old yuan-ti life for a new ideal/identity. That in mind, be flexible! Don't get so caught up in your backstory that you have issues adapting and evolving as you play!

As for NE motives....my yuan-ti's current motives are essentially wealth and power. Long backstory short, he completely rejects yuan-ti culture and made it something of a personal goal to prove that its core values of appearance=societal worth are crap (more snake-like yuan-ti are far more valued than purebloods). Theres also the personal goal of perfecting his own style of infiltration/assassination, which revolves around "smart" tactics and tricks.

Disguises typically allow you a great deal of freedom when it comes to moving around settlements or areas with a lot of pcs. They can also allow a certain degree of rp freedom, as you can essentially create secondary persona's that take on their own ideals/identities as part of their grand deception. Fair warning: transitioning between servers with disguises up is -incredibly- tedious and difficult, as it will either drop your disguise entirely, or show the last disguise used before you left/re-entered the server.

My personal suggestion would be find something/someone/some cause for your character to be loyal to, as the "tribe back home" can be difficult to do when you literally have no way of interacting with them.

Hopefully this helps. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:38 am

Plenty of groups would love to have a spy as you. Keep your story flexible is my opinion. Start with a basic background and then let the worlds RP guide your plans IG. I wish you luck and hope we cross paths one day IG!