What helps facilitate druid and ranger RP?

OOC General Discussion

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

UilliamNebel

What helps facilitate druid and ranger RP?

Post by UilliamNebel » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 pm

What are the ideal things and conditions to interest people in being a part of regular druid and ranger roleplay? Is it just a non starter for the isolation they often engage in? Are settlements too convenient to spend time away from, given issues of off loading loot, crafting, storage, etc? What would be an ideal change to make you consider starting a druid or ranger?

Emotionaloverload
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: What helps facilitate druid and ranger RP?

Post by Emotionaloverload » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm

In my experience, players will put up with the isolation if they have an active and invested leader with plenty to do.

-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 pm

Ranger RP is really easy to get involved with and doesn't need to be isolated. Frankly the ranger being able to read tracks is one of the coolest RP features in the game, especially during PVP conflict where someone flees.

Aside from that, they can sell themselves as guides, hunters, etc. and slot into a lot of faction styles.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:55 am

Emotionaloverload wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm
In my experience, players will put up with the isolation if they have an active and invested leader with plenty to do.
Is it a leader they want, or a provider/facilitator?

Just based on much of my experiences playing RP persistent worlds, I've never seen much rank and file formal faction play be toward an in character objective of the group for a shared vision, as much as factions more so acting like a guild in an MMO with focus on mechanical considerations of the character for the player, i.e., acquiring gear, completing writs, crafting mats, etc.

I'd like to think a lot of players do come together for the RP. But don't know if players are in particularly interested in pursuing a larger group objective, and having a leader looking to direct them toward meeting it. It seems that is what happened with Bendir Dale and the Farmstead. But not entirely sure of how that sort of thing could be realized of rangers and druids based on character values alone.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:31 pm
What are the ideal things and conditions to interest people in being a part of regular druid and ranger roleplay? Is it just a non starter for the isolation they often engage in? Are settlements too convenient to spend time away from, given issues of off loading loot, crafting, storage, etc? What would be an ideal change to make you consider starting a druid or ranger?
Uh, arelith sorta already has massive amount of forest maps on surface. Last time I had a ranger, I had a lot of fun just exploring and wandering about. Then when you're done exploring, you can just crash, I mean visit a settlement, leave some sort of huge animal waiting near gates, and spook everybody there, just because you wanted to sell some skins and needed a tailor. This is well covered.

There are nature hubs made by players, but you sorta have to find them yourself.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 am

NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 am
There are nature hubs made by players, but you sorta have to find them yourself.
I find these claims followed by FOIG to be highly debatable.

Yes, there are nature themed characters.

Yes, there are nature themed areas.

To say there is a hub, of regular RP, is a bridge too far I'd say.

Emotionaloverload

Post by Emotionaloverload » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:00 am

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:55 am
Emotionaloverload wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 pm
Is it a leader they want, or a provider/facilitator?

Just based on much of my experiences playing RP persistent worlds, I've never seen much rank and file formal faction play be toward an in character objective of the group for a shared vision, as much as factions more so acting like a guild in an MMO with focus on mechanical considerations of the character for the player, i.e., acquiring gear, completing writs, crafting mats, etc.

I'd like to think a lot of players do come together for the RP. But don't know if players are in particularly interested in pursuing a larger group objective, and having a leader looking to direct them toward meeting it. It seems that is what happened with Bendir Dale and the Farmstead. But not entirely sure of how that sort of thing could be realized of rangers and druids based on character values alone.

Both. My last character to lead naturewalkers was in the Dark Heart Grove under Corbin. He wasn't the Archdruid but he was second in command and far more active. He would be mentor, provider, mediator, planner, leader, enforcer and anything else that was needed.

The way you get players to be interested in pursuing larger group objectives is by making it fun for everyone and making sure that everyone's story/character is included in a meaningful way. It requires time and investment but is totally doable. You are doing collaborative story telling but no one is obligated to collaborate if they aren't having fun to start so job one is to make it fun.

The best way I have found to do this is to have clear goals and motivations for my character first that I can translate into narrative so that others can more easily find how to attach themselves to the story.

I hope that helps.
-S
Formerly; Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai, Joshua Colt, Namil Evanara, Elanor Shortwick, Sawyer Brook, Kaylessa Dree, Sines Oliver Selakiir, Birgitta Birdie Swordhill, Bella Weartherbee, Arael Laceflower, Corbin, Rupert Silveroak, Hadi the Slave and others.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:26 am
NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:07 am
I find these claims followed by FOIG to be highly debatable.

Yes, there are nature themed characters.

Yes, there are nature themed areas.

To say there is a hub, of regular RP, is a bridge too far I'd say.
If you want to kill your own fun, I won't assist you.
There is at least one place hidden in the woods where people periodically show up, interact, there are placeables and message boards.
If you expect activity level of cordor with hordes of level 1 running around like chickens, then no such thing exists.
But places where you can bump into nature PCs visit and where they can interact/communicate with each other, they're out there.
Simply start playing.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:42 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:15 pm
If you want to kill your own fun, I won't assist you.
There is at least one place hidden in the woods where people periodically show up, interact, there are placeables and message boards.
If you expect activity level of cordor with hordes of level 1 running around like chickens, then no such thing exists.
But places where you can bump into nature PCs visit and where they can interact/communicate with each other, they're out there.
Simply start playing.
Could you please not resort to straw mans with ad hominem?

Saying you want to see something facilitated is not saying it does not exist. Trying to get input from others on what can be done to further develop it is not trying to kill my fun. This whole 'FOIG, look a little harder...' meme on Arelith is just ridiculous at this point with how it is used as a catch all meaningless response in no productive context to subjects at times.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:42 pm
Could you please not resort to straw mans with ad hominem?
Coudl you please read responses you were given?

The situation with rangers/druids is actually quite good and not much needs to be done about it. The very first city as of now has a recruitment poster for nature-oriented group which you could find and read. It is RIGHT NOW. It pretty much hits you in the face, but theoretically it is possible to miss it. There are other groups which have bases in the woods, as expected, and those you're supposed to find. Again, finding isn't hard, if you do what a ranger/druid does, you'll inevitably bump into them quite quickly. There are also nature oriented quarters out there.

And Meme? What? Is that supposed to be a meme? Didn't know, and do not care. There's ton of stuff you can find by simply exploring the areas on your own, and that's why you get told to find it out yourself. Because it is more fun this way.

Do be aware that anyone can set up a camp anywhere with placeables. The places I know of are part of the world map and they won't go anywhere. But there's probably other people lurking about which I do not meet. You, yourself, can grab a message board, set it in a middle of a forest and say "I seek your aid, friends of nature!". Or something.

If you want nature roleplay, do not sit in stone cities like Cordor. Explore. Even if all the people I met already quit, there are definitely their replacement lurking about. There's no real need to improve anything because you're already given all the tools you'd possibly need.

In all honesty, it would be likely much harder to find interactions as a noble socialite which is supposed to hang around banquets than as a ranger.

Have fun.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm

If you want nature roleplay, do not sit in stone cities like Cordor. Explore. Even if all the people I met already quit, there are definitely their replacement lurking about. There's no real need to improve anything because you're already given all the tools you'd possibly need.
So basically the FOIG meme.

Not sitting in Cordor. Have posted messages, and engaged with other nature type characters.

Again, asking what could facilitate something is not saying something does not exist, that it is in a bad state, etc.

Great anecdotes on why there is all this stuff going on. That has nothing to do with facilitating more of it, or exploring what does.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Hot tip for nature RP:
- Rangers want to see the new areas and become acquainted with the new lands, you could join them spending time out there.
- There’s a druid grove in Arelith Forest.
- There’s a (mostly inactive) druid grove in the Jungles.
- There’s a ranger group (mostly inactive) that can be found starting with the bramble woods.
- There’s an inverse druid grove in the Underdark.
- Lots of nature RP can be had at Bendir Dale.
- Lots of nature RP can be had in Guldorand.
- Everyone has a different style so search around and see what you like, or try start your own thing the way you like it.
-

DM Fox

Post by DM Fox » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:33 pm

It's true that it may not be apparent or convenient to a new player that a flourishing and diverse "Ranger/Druid" RP is waiting for them outside the walls. Accurate or not, I know from conversations that many shy away from the class due to perceived mechanical limitations to the "rural life." We can acknowledge the perception without conceding to it. Let's be honest: a lot of people see it as something that would be boring.

There are few classes that capture the potential for immersive roleplay like Druid and Ranger.

The entire concept of "wilderness" has so many thematic and literary connotations. As a player, it's jarring to step outside the political hurricanes of, say, Cordor, and make a space in the quiet of the less-traveled reaches of Arelith (i.e., 'not on a writ route;). At first, it's fun to save the lives of a few deer...maybe deal with some goblins...play with the tracking and balance features. Set up a little camp outside a grove by a creek. Inevitably, however, you transition into a "now what?" --that's where the fun is!

There is perhaps no better way to appreciate and enjoy the little nuances of Arelith than to play a Ranger or Druid off the beaten path. I never enjoyed the server more than walking around with my wife's character as a Ranger and exploring that tucked away fixture--that amazing little waterfall I never noticed. Genuine hours of fun that generated no mechanical benefit but RPB.

To answer the talk about the "activity" of nature RP--that is entirely player-driven. There is nothing stopping a player from stirring the pot in the wilderness RP scene--or to challenge the status quo. Every now and then, you find that Ranger in the hills you keep running into--always there to help with a writ or tough mission; far more aware of who and what passes through their ranging grounds. When they come to the cities, they confer with those powerful faction members wise enough to establish eyes and ears beyond the walls.

In short, there is a magnificent amount of RP potential, and (I assure you) very active pockets of nature RP on the island. I encourage anyone who hasn't ventured into these classes to give it a shot.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:58 pm
NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:35 pm

So basically the FOIG meme.

Not sitting in Cordor. Have posted messages, and engaged with other nature type characters.

Again, asking what could facilitate something is not saying something does not exist, that it is in a bad state, etc.

Great anecdotes on why there is all this stuff going on. That has nothing to do with facilitating more of it, or exploring what does.
It is not a "meme".

What do you want to happen exactly? Describe your vision of the perfect future you desire. Let's hear it.

---------
DM Fox wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:33 pm
There is perhaps no better way to appreciate and enjoy the little nuances of Arelith than to play a Ranger or Druid off the beaten path. I never enjoyed the server more than walking around with my wife's character as a Ranger and exploring that tucked away fixture--that amazing little waterfall I never noticed. Genuine hours of fun that generated no mechanical benefit but RPB.
Yep. From the characters I had here, ranger was one of the few I enjoyed the most.
Political play and heavily social interactions can be incredibly tiresome. In a forest you can go and befriend a bear.
Bears > politics.
At least that's how I feel about it.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm

Rangers can host a wide array of perceivable RP. The important thing here is to recognize that not all Rangers have to be nature-based, even if few of their mechanics may suggest so.

There have been plenty of "City" Rangers, even if Nature Rangers may take the majority.

We can take stablemasters or houndmasters within the army or the guards for examples: both have an affinity to animals (horses and dogs), but those can be tamed animals within the cityscape.

The rangers are supposed to know how to track and know the region well? It could be within a settlement as well as a wilderness setting. Perhaps the city guide knows the streets well and has an affection for the wild animals such as stray dogs or rats that dwell within those streets.

Rangers also no longer require a Nature Deity in order to cast their spells, as well.

The only thing that remains would be the HiPS in natural areas. It remained locked to the natural areas mostly for balance purposes. Otherwise, free HiPS everywhere would intrude upon Shadowdancer's functionality.

I've personally lobbied for allowing City Rangers to HiPS within cityscapes rather than natural areas. There would be overlapping areas that'd allow both types of rangers to HiPS such as roads. But that may warrant another discussion.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm

NegInfinity wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:34 pm

What do you want to happen exactly? Describe your vision of the perfect future you desire. Let's hear it.
Why? So you can argue that as me saying something is bad or wrong more?

Why you need to make 'how do we facilitate something' into 'OP is saying something is wrong with Arelith, and must be proved wrong' is the thread you wanna have.

I asked to hear how something I'd like to see more of could be facilitated. You replied with the meme of FOIG. And are now trying to make it a battle of visions.

Void

Post by Void » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:24 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm
Why? So you can argue that as me saying something is bad or wrong more?
Because I can't imagine how the situation be made better than it is now. So I'm asking you.

You're a ranger in random location. You want superior RP compared to now. How does it works? What does it look like? What are you unhappy with right now? Explain.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:56 pm
Why you need to make 'how do we facilitate something' into 'OP is saying something is wrong with Arelith, and must be proved wrong' is the thread you wanna have.

I asked to hear how something I'd like to see more of could be facilitated. You replied with the meme of FOIG. And are now trying to make it a battle of visions.
You're misinterpreting the situation. Badly. And you're making incorrect assumption about people's motives.

FOIG is not a "meme" in this case, but personal advice based on experience of playing ranger.
And I'm not your personal nemesis who would chase to the end of the world to oppose every thing you write.

The ranger/druid RP right now, as far as I can tell, is in the spot where it would end up in the realm like arelith. Like other's said, it is player-driven. So I'm not seeing a reasonable way to make it easier. Rangers do tend to be loners, and favorite druid groves are hidden from civilization. Short of destroying all cities from the map, or straight out starting in a grove, there's nothing you can do to improve situation.

And if you actually make a grove a starting location, you'll impact nature RP negatively. Cordor right now has a lot of newbies running about, and some of those people don't even interact with others in any way. Having this circus in a druid grove would be the last thing you want.

So I'm not seeing it how it is supposed to be "easier" or "better" and asking you to explain yourself.

Miaou

Post by Miaou » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:52 pm

The tone is getting rather heated and in the wrong ways. Remember that the forums are for discussions, not for targetted comments and general rudeness. Cool your heels, remember to calmly explain your views rather than attempting to belittle someone else's just because it is different.

UilliamNebel

Post by UilliamNebel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm

You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:24 pm

UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Please don't be discouraged from participating in the forums. Many of us are more level-headed and willing to offer help and insight. Don't allow a few spoiled apples sour what you perceive the rest of the community.

I, for one, enjoyed some of the responses and the inquiry from the original post.

DM Fox

Post by DM Fox » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:50 pm

Let's not let a good conversation to turn sour due to perceived assaults on our egos. I think we can do better than that.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:41 am

Nature, in all its vastness and diversity has, inherently, no owner.

This means one very important thing to us, on Arelith: no faction, no guildhouse, no settlement system is needed for good stories, and thus good roleplay, to be produced by characters that rely heavily on nature as a key piece of who they are, regardless of their mechanical build.

This brings me to the following point: The best way to facilitate "druid and ranger rp" is by taking the initiative and doing it yourself. I mean this earnestly, not as a dismissive wave of the hand, because I have been there. This is due to the fact that this sort of roleplay tends to ripple out through the characters you interact with and, almost certainly, circle back to you.

There's no need for big events. No need for overcomplicated stories. In fact, from my experience, it is often the smallest things that will make the environment, the Wild, stand out. It is how your character interacts with the world around them that will make other characters, and more importantly, other players, perk up, pay attention, and get invested. They will be having fun.

Before you know it, your super lonesome and mysterious and grumpy ranger is getting summoned all the time to go and take a look at this, take a sniff at that, track these footprints or axe down that zombie. Your druid that is way too friendly with his parrots will suddenly realize that these younger druids just keep "randomly" popping up like fungi, asking questions, seeking advice, sharing tales.
Suddenly, you will want to log out but you are having too much fun on a Grove dance party with a bunch of lude dryads.

All of this isn't to say that there aren't things on the developer side that can't be done to further elevate these stories. But they are minimal in comparison and, honestly, a lot of them are already in place. Specially when it comes to area design. Of course they can always be improved, and tinkered with, and new systems added in. I am all for that.

But the core elements are already there.

To end this rant, and to conclude, I'd say that what helps facilitate druid and ranger rp are interactions.

Those that make the world of Arelith feel alive, rather than like another random and flat mmorpg, and those that get players and characters invested in said world.

Now pardon me as I retreat back into my forum-lurking hole.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:14 am

*cranes his elderly neck* Well whipper-snapper, back in my day, I would lend myself to settlements as my rangers, working and getting paid to keep tabs on monster populaces. Then inform the city or town's guards of growths getting out of hand. Then venture on a controlled culling process with said guard.

This could work with druids as well.

HappyHippie

Post by HappyHippie » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:15 pm

I hear the Knights of the Road have started back up :D That might be an avenue to explore. I used to have a character that was part of the Bramble Watch way back when. Right now I'm playing a ranger that is a big time scout and spy whose safe space is the Dreaming Tree <3 She is a hunter, so nature and balance are part of her core beliefs. She's probably not the most traditional ranger, however she did try to interact with the Bramble Watch when they were active to keep more eyes out on the roads. I say this just to point out that there are groups/factions that are already established. They may not be very active at the moment, but that is always something you as a player can change. <3

People also love getting together and learning/sharing. Maybe a class/lecture on fauna and flora. Or a sermon held on balance and preserving nature. Depending on what your character values, you might hold a festival celebrating the solstices. My character comes from a Monastery where they held fall harvest festivals. She is a citizen of Guldorand and feels that at times, Guldorand goes very unnoticed, so she'll be holding a festival there to facilitate change in that regard. Bendir has their "Safe Day" celebration, Cordor is always hosting all sorts of galas. This is a great way to bring people together for great rp and exposure. And then who knows? It might become a regular thing!
"What sunshine is to flowers, smiles are to humanity." - Joseph Addison

Diana Wyndyr - Active
Gyda Skógr - Semi-Active
Melina Willows - Shelved

Zan

Post by Zan » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:05 am

I play rangers, alot, despite the view and opinion of many that it's not a mechanically optimum class.

My last main was a ranger, and whilst it took a little while to grow the reputation, eventually became a wellspring of information who knew him, precisely because I played up the motif of wanderlust and an innate curiosity to explore. Sharing that knowledge freely and proactively, by leaving notes at darrowdeep about giants in the area, or in guldorand about the pirates I tracked in the crags eventually built a reputation that opened up boundless Rp.

My honest suggestion would be work out what sort of Rp you enjoy and want to see, start doing it, and involve others as much as possible . If you are wanting an expansive nature walker organisation to play with, build it, if you want to be the knowledgeable druid who advises the mayor, work towards it. Arelith has a huge community of great players, give it time and work towards your vision and anything is possible.

It might not happen in 1 day, or even 1 week, but it's definitely possible
Current Char: Khael'dar

"Understanding is a Three-Edged Sword"