[Solved]Bowman rogue vs TWF rogue vs Rapier rogue...

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Void

[Solved]Bowman rogue vs TWF rogue vs Rapier rogue...

Post by Void » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:10 am

Any significant benefit to any of them?

I'm interested in rogue-only skillmonkey builds, human, no multiclassing... and maximum self-sufficiency.

As far as I can tell, archer rangers are more fit for bowman roles, because they can craft ammunition, and if you go bowman route with rogue you'll be shooting with junk arrows or would need to keep buying them all the time. Plus you don't need to get close and personal to stab someone in the butt, but you also lose access to expertise. Two to three wasted feats (rapid shot, point blank shot, called shot (dubious, as AB is going to be lower)), can deal two attacks per round early on at -2, like TWF rogue.

TWF rogue gets extra attack early on, BUT that's two wasted feats (with one more for additional offhand attack), and -2 to hit. You also don't get to land a sneak attack with both of them all the time.

Rapier rogue or single-weapon rogue can grab expertise early on, which makes application of "run away screaming and hide behind the corner" tactic easier. On other hand, reduced damage early on. Down the road it is possible to either grab a shield or become twf anyway.

Thoughts? Advice, maybe?
Last edited by Void on Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

Wuthering

Re: Bowman rogue vs TWF rogue vs Rapier rogue...

Post by Wuthering » Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:52 pm

Conventional wisdom says archer rogues aren't great because the sneak attack range is so short you're almost in melee anyway. I have a 25 rogue/5 ranger using missiles that works well because epic dodge, blinding speed etc gives you plenty of mobility and you can attack from darkness or disable groups with choking powder and grenades & attack from a distance but I can't say they wouldn't be as good or better if they were melee instead.

I don't know why you would go pure rogue on a rogue archer build over dipping 5 ranger. 1 extra attack, 3 ranged feats for free, ability to track and not be track, discipline etc... *plus* generating your own ammo, even if it tops out at iron or steel, is one of the biggest quality of life improvements in the game, you have to be a real masochist to craft your own.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:35 am

My favourite is definitely the rapier rogue simply because I dont think you can really afford the TWF feats on a pure rogue. Further more, I like pure rogue more than multi-classed personally so yes, the third option imo.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Void

Post by Void » Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 am

Went with rapier rogue. being able to pick expertise helps.
Another forum ban, here we go again.