Swashbuckler Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Swashbuckler Builds

Post by R0GUE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am

Anyone have any good ideas for a strong swashbuckler build? Throw them out there!

Drowboy

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Drowboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:32 am

21 SB/4 fighter/5 WM, str or dex is my personal favorite.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

Wm has obvious synergy. I really dont have any 'good' ideas otherwise. I tried to make some sort of 16 buckler 4 bg 10 pdk Vanguard and it came out really bad. I want to see some more charisma focused build (or rather, a build with charisma too) that gets high value from Panache but right now it doesnt look viable to me.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am

Dex gnome Swash27/DwD3 with a svirf hammer, parry out the arse, and epic dodge. Take a beret head model.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm

There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?
It's another class in the game. You're gonna play it or against it, and its probably going to be used for pve content sooner or later right? Dont be so negative bro. Some hard work was put into it.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:

It's another class in the game. You're gonna play it or against it, and its probably going to be used for pve content sooner or later right? Dont be so negative bro. Some hard work was put into it.
I don't know how I'm being negative. The poster asked if there are any good/strong swashbuckler builds. There are none. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. This doesn't mean that I'm dismissing the fact that someone put work into making the class. Why are you trying to twist my words?

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

10/3/17 SB/Ranger/Assassin.

I also don't think the Swashbuckler is bad in its current state, even if the DCs from its abilities are kind of lackluster, and it's admittedly eclipsed by some stronger builds. But otherwise it's very playable.
Opustus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am
Dex gnome Swash27/DwD3 with a svirf hammer, parry out the arse, and epic dodge. Take a beret head model.
They can get Epic Dodge? Since when?
Last edited by Dr. B on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a shrouded figure

Post by a shrouded figure » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:00 pm

It’s it the update notes for SB 2.0 balance (epic dodge).

I’m looking at SB 24 Fighter 6 str/int. It gets some pretty nice damage output and I like the skill monkey lifestyle. I looked at monk but it’s too MAD for me. Dex builds look fun but I’m still on team STR

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:

I don't know how I'm being negative. The poster asked if there are any good/strong swashbuckler builds. There are none. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. This doesn't mean that I'm dismissing the fact that someone put work into making the class. Why are you trying to twist my words?
Have a look at this build, if you like:

AB: 49
AC: 71 in IE (plus Epic Dodge)
HP: 540
Saves (with Spellcraft+gear): 40 Fortitude, 47 Reflex (and Improved Evasion), 25 Will (can be higher with the right items or hard 5% rolls)
Average Damage: ~25 per hit, as a DEX build. More against specific enemies.
Other: DC33 STR and CON drain on hit - likely ignoring spellcraft, so this is not too bad.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am

The only thing I would personally have against playing this build is the 25 damage per hit, which is low, especially considering the light hammer's 2x multiplier, and 10% bludg immunity and protective essences on other PCs. All other numbers are strong, though, and the drain is very powerful.

Not sure if it has been said somewhere before (it's not on the wiki at least), but I've been wondering: are actions like Third Intention and (Improved) Acrobatics Skill Mastery instant or standard?
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 pm

They are instant.

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:07 pm

based
Sockss wrote: There is an overriding premise that all changes should be appreciated and welcomed because someone has taken time out for free to make them. [...] I don't believe volunteering should put your work above criticism [...] .

Biolab00

Post by Biolab00 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm giving my 2 cents here but I don't play swashbuckler.

From what I've read, int modifier gives them damage bonus scaling on class level.

Ive no idea if it means hard int or soft int
If it's soft int, it opens up a lot of possibility that gives Dex build higher damage.

Only if it's based on soft int, you can work your build around it

It can also include a reasonably high damage without sneak attack. Front line Dex fighter with high AC, reasonably high damage for a dex user, sufficient AB

Algol

Post by Algol » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm

the grim yeeter wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am
The only thing I would personally have against playing this build is the 25 damage per hit, which is low, especially considering the light hammer's 2x multiplier, and 10% bludg immunity and protective essences on other PCs. All other numbers are strong, though, and the drain is very powerful.

Not sure if it has been said somewhere before (it's not on the wiki at least), but I've been wondering: are actions like Third Intention and (Improved) Acrobatics Skill Mastery instant or standard?
Light Hammers are x3 now

the grim yeeter

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 pm

oh sweet, that's p. sick

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Biolab00 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm
I'm giving my 2 cents here but I don't play swashbuckler.

From what I've read, int modifier gives them damage bonus scaling on class level.

Ive no idea if it means hard int or soft int
If it's soft int, it opens up a lot of possibility that gives Dex build higher damage.

Only if it's based on soft int, you can work your build around it

It can also include a reasonably high damage without sneak attack. Front line Dex fighter with high AC, reasonably high damage for a dex user, sufficient AB
It's soft
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:12 am

R0GUE wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am
Anyone have any good ideas for a strong swashbuckler build? Throw them out there!
I don't. Still don't have any idea what good penache is for the character build.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poolbrain » Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:54 pm

I think something like 11 SB/6 fighter/ 13 rogue can be nice.

Plenty of damage when you can't get sneak attacks due to Epic weapon spec and , epic dodge, pretty decent ac and ab, Plenty of skills and feats to mess around with.

An alternative to the dex wm build with feats to spare if you want to go dual wielding etc.

I generally have a hard time with rogues and dex characters since you're damage is so low if you don't manage to pull off your sneak attacks, SB seems a decent remedy to this without going charisma or heavy ranger investment.

Some other thoughts.

14 SB/10 SD/6 fighter: hips and higher ac with shadow evade instead of sneak attacks. Perhaps SB is better to leave at 8 to get more feats?

Dex barbarian: 16 barb, 6 fighter, 8 SB: Could probably get some pretty high AC and AB with decent damage with terrifying rage?

str twohander with terrifying rage and maybe thundering? 16 barbarian/ 4 blackguard/ 10 SB. Cry while you struggle to max out your ability scores but laugh as the damage numbers starts rolling with divine might combo. (edit: I realise you need a finessable weapon for the int damage, so I guess you would need katana or sword and board?)

Dex divine champion: 16 Cot/ 8 SB/ 6 fighter (Guess you could go 12 SB for uncanny dodge or shift stuff around to find some decent combination)

16 monk/ 8 SB/ 6 figher. Dex monk who actually does some damage with their fist? (make a lvl 20 monk combo if you want that mind immunity) (edit: Maybe the int damage don't stack with fists?)

I haven't tested any or put any particular effort in thinking these builds out but from my experience with NWN I bet you can make them work out.

Now don't flame me, none of these are S-tier, game breaking, daddy-look-at-me type of builds but I can see them winning fights in pvp and being useful at even end game content. Perhaps not soloing epic rune-material-bosses, but you get my idea.