Bluff on Warlocks

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hazard

Bluff on Warlocks

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:53 pm

How important is Bluff on a warlock that is going to be open about their pact (Outcast, Drow, etc)?
Are there any modern mechanics I don't know about that REQUIRE bluff? Will I be prevented from entering some area or being able to speak to some important NPC or something that the wiki might not mention?

AstralUniverse

Re: Bluff on Warlocks

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:11 pm

Its always fun to disguise and go shopping in other towns. Towns which dont like outcasts or pirates or known warlocks.

There also may or may not be hidden mechanics. I'm not sure. Maybe merchants in Dis can tolerate you or not tolerate your abyssal arse based on your disguise roll. Stuff like that could exist.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:54 pm

Outcast humans would probably want surface access at some point.. A drow will probably have enemies in Anundor and want to move around without confrontation, or get the jump on someone unsuspecting. It's not as essential as a surface warlock probably needs but it's still useful I'd think.

My question though is whether perform is better on warlocks, are the gear options better?

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Gouge Away wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:54 pm
Outcast humans would probably want surface access at some point.. A drow will probably have enemies in Anundor and want to move around without confrontation, or get the jump on someone unsuspecting. It's not as essential as a surface warlock probably needs but it's still useful I'd think.

My question though is whether perform is better on warlocks, are the gear options better?
Yes, for disguise purposes, afaik perform is better.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:57 pm

Bluff is better mechanically, since it lets you obscure your stats when you're examined, but Perform has way more gear options, so you'll be able to make significantly higher checks.

Crafted gear can only get you +5 Bluff, and you need to beat 40 UMD for it. You can get +10 Perform with no prerequisites, or +14 on a Bard.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Pavlovian Penguin

Post by Pavlovian Penguin » Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:03 am

Bluff is better mechanically and lets you access a few FOIG places as long as it's high enough with a 1d20 roll. Perform doesn't have that bonus (I checked a couple of months ago, IIRC.) People have mentioned perform gear is much easier to get and that's a huge factor, too. Addy bracers, Jubilant Jester's, a headpiece, necklace, etc. have varying perform but no less than +3, so it's one for the other.

Skarain

Post by Skarain » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 am

Depends on the concept.

If you are fine with being a known warlock, it won't be needed. There was, for example, one Drow Warlock named Iymosk Xun'viir, Drow, that built themselves a terrifying reputation in Captaining the Dreadnaught.

You will always have Andunor, Dis and Shadow Plane as your safe harbor, and potentially Sibayad to an extent. Plus you can join the Banite faction.

A Warlock in PnP can take and benefit from Intimidation, Persuation and Bluff all the same. What changes is the tone of your roleplay and how you interact with people.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:29 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. It helped!

Also, I remember Iymosk. Cool character!

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:09 am

Skarain wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:37 am
You will always have Andunor, Dis and Shadow Plane as your safe harbor, and potentially Sibayad to an extent. Plus you can join the Banite faction.
And the ol' Cliff.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too