Subdual and Money

An area to facilitate free-form feedback on systems (in-game or out) related to Arelith.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Ninjimmy

Subdual and Money

Post by Ninjimmy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:22 pm

This is probably touching on a suggestion but it's something that's occurred to me after a couple different threads.

How do we give death a narrative weight when things like casually decapitating a pickpocket for 100*level gold is a valid tactic and roadside muggings end up with fugue visits and an inconvenience of 5 minutes? Because I'd rather it WAS a more significant thing but the suspension of narrative sense to pretend the guy who just got murdered won't be back later with his mates runs a little dry after the 19th resurrection you've seen that month.

I think it's down to subdual not seeing much use where, as a narrative tool, it generally makes more sense. Kicking the ever loving crap out of someone is usually a more appropriate action VS just killing them so I'm not sure why I don't see it as much.

But for the sake of crime RP, if Subdual allowed you to take money off someone without killing them, would people a) as thieves, be more willing to stick their neck out because you can get a narrative out of the story with reasonable repercussions/rep building if your mugging IS successful and b) as victims, willing to just punch someone a bunch and take your wallet off their unconscious body or believe you've "taught the thief a lesson" rather than take the head and smear it over every noticeboard in the land.

Personal take, I like petty crime because I prefer conflict where the stakes aren't end of the world or fight to the death (at least not from the jump) and while the servers doing a lot to facilitate being a criminal who isn't in league with the abyss, it's still faced with the problem of one side feeling aggrieved at being hit by crime and the other feeling they have to cheese or face character ending consequences for it.

A middle ground would be nice.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Party in the forest at midnight

Re: Subdual and Money

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:06 pm

Killing people for theft is very normal even on servers with harsher death penalties. This isn't an Arelith problem due to low penalties on the server, it's a video game mindset where theft is one of the few permanent things people can do to another person without their consent.

I like the idea of dropping gold on subdual though.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 pm

This thread may become too close to the PP thread so I'll focus on subdual itself.

What if subdual just becomes default (after some expansion), and murder becomes a conscious choice after the fact (or toggleable in reverse)? Essentially adding just one more bash required for total kill.

Subdual can be expanded to recover stolen goods, take prisoners, carry people maybe, and things like that. It would be cool to have a -faint command, for RP purposes, that puts your character into the subdued state.

I think I'd just like to see more to it in general.

It might humanize players a little more. I don't pvp that much and I completely forget about subdual 100% of the time, but I admit I've also never killed a PP before (but I have turned one to stone.)
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:17 pm

While Forgotten Realms / Arelith != medieval europe, it is heavily influenced by it. Penalties for theft at the time (and in some places even today, unfortunately) included extremes such as cutting off hands or death. Considering we can't mechanically cut your hands off, that leaves death. You can't put modern sensibilities on societies where duels to the death were a common way to settle minor disputes. Hell, even all the way in the late 1700s the US president (Andrew Jackson) was famous for the number of duels he fought, some of which were for things as minor as being insulted. If killing someone for an insult is acceptable, then imagine how people felt about theft.

With that said, I'd be totally on board with expanding subdual. As far as death weight, that comes down to being a team player and RPing well.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:19 pm

I don't have an opinion to voice regarding death, but dropping gold on subdual is a great idea.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:17 pm
While Forgotten Realms / Arelith != medieval europe, it is heavily influenced by it. Penalties for theft at the time (and in some places even today, unfortunately) included extremes such as cutting off hands or death. Considering we can't mechanically cut your hands off, that leaves death. You can't put modern sensibilities on societies where duels to the death were a common way to settle minor disputes. Hell, even all the way in the late 1700s the US president (Andrew Jackson) was famous for the number of duels he fought, some of which were for things as minor as being insulted. If killing someone for an insult is acceptable, then imagine how people felt about theft.

With that said, I'd be totally on board with expanding subdual. As far as death weight, that comes down to being a team player and RPing well.
Party in the forest at midnight wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:06 pm
Killing people for theft is very normal even on servers with harsher death penalties. This isn't an Arelith problem due to low penalties on the server, it's a video game mindset where theft is one of the few permanent things people can do to another person without their consent.

I like the idea of dropping gold on subdual though.
To be fair, I DO see why killing is done both from an RP and uhhh "pride" point of view so agree with both your points, but I think we can all agree that subdual gives a slightly better narrative experience for people. If nothing else because you can talk about what happened and RP from it.
Playing:
Olwin (AKA Olicoros Vrozt Akael Shilligg Jugem Dojj Winzalfur AKA That £$%^ing Wizard)

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm

I've said before that subdual should make your gold lootable and give you a -50 bluff/perform debuff. Maybe even make that courier stuff lootable (idk how it works, never killed someone with a courier writ).
Intelligence is too important

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:15 pm
This thread may become too close to the PP thread so I'll focus on subdual itself.

What if subdual just becomes default (after some expansion), and murder becomes a conscious choice after the fact (or toggleable in reverse)? Essentially adding just one more bash required for total kill.

Subdual can be expanded to recover stolen goods, take prisoners, carry people maybe, and things like that. It would be cool to have a -faint command, for RP purposes, that puts your character into the subdued state.

I think I'd just like to see more to it in general.

It might humanize players a little more. I don't pvp that much and I completely forget about subdual 100% of the time, but I admit I've also never killed a PP before (but I have turned one to stone.)

Quoting this because I like this post and I don't want it to get buried.

garrbear758

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:21 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm
I've said before that subdual should make your gold lootable and give you a -50 bluff/perform debuff. Maybe even make that courier stuff lootable (idk how it works, never killed someone with a courier writ).
I do like both of these ideas. A coup de grace option would be nice too, and then make subdual the default for pvp. It'd make death a little more meaningful by virtue of it being a conscious choice after pvp.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:25 pm

I am okay with subdual being the default option and killing someone requiring that you toggle it on. I don't think it needs much more changed than that as far as living or dying goes. I'm sure we will see accidental subduals go up, but oh well.

Red_Wharf

Post by Red_Wharf » Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Zavandar wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:32 pm
Maybe even make that courier stuff lootable (idk how it works, never killed someone with a courier writ).
You get some money if you pick up a corpse from someone carrying a package. 500 if I recall correctly.

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:13 pm

I actually had a list with several of those things on to fix subdual, though I didn't think of the gold dropping part.

- Prevent use of Portal Lens and Attunement potion for 10 minutes after being subdued
- Subdual debuffs Bluff/Perform by 60
- Subdual turned on by default
- Yoink is disabled while subdued
- Switching to another mode (subdual/lethal) announces it in [Talk]
- Hostiling someone specific sends your subdual mode to them
- Players can use a -forgive command to remove penalties and lens restrictions on the person they have subdued

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:22 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:13 pm
I actually had a list with several of those things on to fix subdual, though I didn't think of the gold dropping part.

- Prevent use of Portal Lens and Attunement potion for 10 minutes after being subdued
- Players can use a -forgive command to remove penalties and lens restrictions on the person they have subdued
I'm cool with most of these except it being announced and hostiling someone specific sets you to subdue them. I don't think there should be an IC tell for how you're maybe going to fight someone (nor do I want players to be inclined to respond in certain ways to that), and I think just having the overall toggle (as it currently is) is fine. Switching which is default is cool by me.

I think preventing lenses and the forgive options are good, and obviously am on board with bluff/perform debuffs

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:34 pm

The subdual mode announcement stuff is mainly to combat misunderstandings and the fact that most players lack social skills. I see a lot of incidents happening like "I will start a bar brawl with this guy for saying my hair looked funny" and someone responding "Oh my god this guy is trying to murder me, he must be an assassin"

One of the big PvP issues we have is the lack of courtesy. People are bad losers and even worse winners, and seeing that your opponent intends to RP with you at least a little before killing you, or perhaps not kill you at all, is a step towards a mutual understanding that the other player isn't out to try and forcefully end your story with killbash.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:13 pm

I love it but the bluff/perform might be a bit steep, and I am saying that having just raged about the insane advantage that bluff and perform currently have. I would cut that in half.

Otherwise, I have to echo Zavandar and others. I do wish subdual was the default setting. Honestly, its not really about the mechanics of needing to type a phrase. It is about culture. Doing little things like saying, "If you want to kill someone dead, we are gonna make you type this phrase in chat every time you log on" really sends a strong signal about server culture and the seriousness of death to new and old players alike. I think that would be a huge change in and of itself.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:00 pm

My experience is generally subdual is avoided in group battles as people more often then not just get up and run or rejoin the fight. 1v1 or with city PC guards seems to be its primary area of use. That of trying to take prisoners.

The above ideas for loot and debuff to perform are awesome I think.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:13 pm

DangerDolphin wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:34 pm
The subdual mode announcement stuff is mainly to combat misunderstandings and the fact that most players lack social skills. I see a lot of incidents happening like "I will start a bar brawl with this guy for saying my hair looked funny" and someone responding "Oh my god this guy is trying to murder me, he must be an assassin"

One of the big PvP issues we have is the lack of courtesy. People are bad losers and even worse winners, and seeing that your opponent intends to RP with you at least a little before killing you, or perhaps not kill you at all, is a step towards a mutual understanding that the other player isn't out to try and forcefully end your story with killbash.
I understand the motivations behind this suggestion and kind of figured that's where you were coming from, but in this instance I think ambiguity is better. Moreover, I think appropriately utilizing ! is enough courtesy (namely, not just throwing it up a half second before attacking). Encouraging people to RP their intentions appropriately is also good. Even in your suggestion, an assassin might try to carry out a hit under the guise of a brawl. Not saying this happens often as it is, but I'd rather not shut down more nuanced options.

Regarding the steep bluff/perform debuff, I suggest it because the alternative for identifying someone is just killing them. That would still remain the only surefire way for it to work, but with a debuff, people may be just a little less inclined to kill people with "" around their name.

Quick edit: I think it would also be cool if being subdualed uncovered you.

LovelyLightningWitch

Post by LovelyLightningWitch » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:33 pm

garrbear758 wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Tyr has strict laws about justice being fair and well-measured. A society that looks to Tyr's law will not randomly murder thieves. Instead, the thief will be apprehended and judged for why they stole, how they stole and how much. Furthermore, they will be judged by a separate person than the one who apprehended the criminal.

Tyr's law is further tempered by Ilmater's mercy, and while Tyr seeks to ensure kings and paupers are judged alike - he will be more lenient for someone stealing enough money to buy food or steal food directly. If one did so - they will be given forced labour in fair conditions in exchange for food, and encouraged to join the Triad's faith as a lay servant or monk in exchange for liberation from their poverty.

And while Torm is the most zealous, even he will look up to Tyr and Ilmater, and let justice be kind, merciful and fair.

Even Helm, who lacks Ilmater's mercy as something so very close, will likely hand off criminals to Tyr to resolve after performing his duty as a guardsman or watchman.

The only place you get violence on par of Earth are those that do not strive for Triadic or Helmite ideals - Luskan, a den of pirates, Mintarm, a den of privateers; and places that are ruled by banite ideology or at least lawful evil.

That's just a small subsection of the gods humanity reveres. The rest are NG/CG which, if you seek to be a good worshipper of - you will adhere to their dogma. And their dogma includes a respect for life and mercy almost always directly or indirectly.

And this is just looking at humanity.

For halflings, non-violent crime as long as it does not make the victim suffer for food (and thus violate Yondallan principles) is not an issue, and many of their legends concern their gods who stole from others - including Brandobaris who robbed Myrkul himself!

For elves, Erevan is a beloved god. And what does Erevan's clergy do? They engage in non-violent theft to ensure people don't get pompous and stuffy. Erevanites will avoid stealing things that would harm the victim (heirlooms, money to buy food, pay the landlord, gifts of sentimental values).

Forgotten Realms is honestly, as long as you stay away from places like the Moonsea's coasts, Amn, Calimshan and stick to Silverymoon/Waterdeep and the like is probably more progressive than most places on Earth when it comes to legal procedures.

And Amn's only issue is how freely bribes flow.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:41 pm

So I am genuinly loving some of these ideas, and pretty much support the base concept. I agree that subdual should probably be the default option, and death more of an active decision. I like most of the debuff ideas too - though I'd perhaps make the 'uncover/loss of perform/bluff' a command that can be used on someone?
Uncovering at least seems more like something you -do- to a none resistant person, rather than that is automatically the case.

The only small word of caution I'll put in about the initial suggestion is that this does make pvping someone for gold more feasable and desirable and will probably lead to an uptick in that. Now again I don't think that this is a bad thing - it still has it's problems, its issues, but now just comes with more rp, and encourages rp... so over all I do still support it. But this is something to consider.

Finally - no matter what the Subdual system does need to still have the -relent command, so that players still have an easy 'out' from a situation they may feel uncomfortable in, and to protect them from greifers.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:05 pm

Not sure if this is feasible or not, but it might be worth adding in a toggle command wherein the subdualed person can agree to being set to auto-follow someone that lasso's them. Totally a voluntary state, of course, but people who want to RP being tied up and dragged to another location by their attacker can then more easily do that (perhaps with the visual used for lassoing monsters).

I know this is one of the considerations I've seen come into the death vs. subdual analysis, wherein even if the target ooc consents to capture RP (consent which is always asked in advance, of course), the logistics of grabbing a body and raising it elsewhere are far easier to pull off compared to dealing with the target stuck to the ground for several minutes after the fight (during which, backup PCs for the victim can often arrive, depending on the situation).
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Duchess Says

Post by Duchess Says » Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:36 pm

Even if death by execution or some other terrible fate would be the eventual result of subdual and capture I think the story is always better served by some "What are we going to do with you?" RP instead of immediate vigilante justice.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:20 pm

I love the idea of default subdual.

But what if we even pushed it one step further? What if, with a more consequential and universal subdual system, we made PvP death require mutual consent? I.e., something that must be toggled "on" by both parties.

We've had many threads about death and its consequences, and I don't want to rehash them here, but it suffices to say, in effect this is the system we already have. No one dies permanantly unless they decide to. As imperfect as this idea may first sound, I think it is infinitely preferable to the ridiculous discontinuity that abounds now.

You want death to be more consequential? Make it more rare. You want the Cordor Courthouse to get used? Make it so that it actually means something to be a murderer again.

PvP continues.
Theft continues.
Death becomes more meaningful.
DMs get 150% less email traffic about poorly RPed murder hobos.
Everybody wins.

...except the murder hobos.
Last edited by RedGiant on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:27 pm

RedGiant wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:20 pm
I love the idea of default subdual.

But what if we even pushed it one step further? What if, with a more consequential and universal subdual system, we made PvP death require mutual consent? I.e., something that must be toggled "on" by both parties.
here we go

no.

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:29 pm

Yeah how about we don't do that.

Ninjimmy

Post by Ninjimmy » Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:32 pm

While I am pushing for less overall death, I gotta admit that I think opt-in death is a flawed idea.
Playing: