Vashala Returns!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

VashalaReturns

Re: Vashala Returns!

Post by VashalaReturns » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:16 pm

Timewise: From concept to first sketch it takes about an hour. Then on to 'inking' or finishing up the line art. That takes another hour to an hour and a half. Then, because I'm colored blind and it's very difficult to match colors....

Coloring takes like 4 hours. I just want peeps to appreciate that it does take me, a handicapped artist THAT long to color a piece. haha

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Rodent wrote:Gorgeous art, the Sinclair pic is particularly well done.

@WT: You sure you're talking about the same Laura Sinclair? I am fairly sure the Guard Commander was a Cleric and definitely wore heavy armour.
Very sure about Laura Sinclair. She didn't actually wear any armour, she just made it look like it for the Cordor guard. I've played with her on several characters and I'm somewhat convinced she was a dex-based monk/cleric/rogue build-wise. No matter the build, she was definitely dual-kama!

And she had red hair.

But stunning artwork nevertheless! I guess I'd love a commission, buuuuut I wouldn't to take that much time off of you.

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:14 pm

Ok. Well I didn't know about all that! Thanks! I thought she might've been a monk because one time I came across her she was doing some sort of Monk trial in the foot hills. But the red hair thing is mainly because I'm color blind. I think I even saw a screen shot of her and thought it was black. Or brown.

I fail.

Anyway, this is her Cordor Guard uniform, then, in all respects haha. I saw her dispatch a fellow with a sword and shield in the Nomad, but that might've been her 'side-arm'. If so, this is the representation of that. If not.... oh well! haha I still had fun drawing her. And taking time in my art is alright, mostly because I like doing it. Though, most submissions these days do take a bit to complete unless you get lucky and I get to work on it all day while at work.

Thanks for the info though, just in case I draw anything else of her!

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:41 pm

I'd love to commission a pair of characters from you. One of my own characters and for a friend of mine.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:49 am

Laura was Clerc/Monk. She wore leathers, and yes, used a kama. ;)
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Elena

Post by Elena » Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:56 pm

As I let the artist know in a private message, I felt truly honored that someone put that time into drawing a character of mine, no matter if it reflects the character 1:1 from its ingame description, this is just super awesome.

Caught me again surfing back to deviant art to look at it :)

To reveal a few things about her: Laura's character description changed through the years, and the latest one is the following

"A woman of about 36 years, carrying all signs of traveling far and wide. Craggy features, wind-tossed dark red hair and dusty boots. Her vestment includes a blue tunic over a gray robe with brass metal workings.
Her upper arms are covered with bruises and on her jawline one finds the skin blemished by acidic corrosion. Her gaze is prospecting and the slight smirk she sports can easily be (mis-)taken as a defying one."

Her inamge character picture was from http://gameswalls.com/kohan-immortal-so ... n/1024x768

And the character itself is a Cleric (21) / Monk (6) / Rogue (3), dual wielding Kamas (and sometimes unarmed) https://s21.postimg.org/roijosik7/image.png

Love that piece of art, and love how you draw... I could look at it for days, thank you very, very much! :P
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

Hush

Post by Hush » Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:25 am

I'm in love with your style. I've always striven to get that good with detail with digital art, but for some reason I just can't. Maybe I'll figure out the right brushes someday hehe. We should collab sometime!

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:17 am

Hey man! Definitely! I'd love to work with you!

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:13 am

Here's Phaerlyn, a drow. This is still a work in progress, as I lighten up the arms and darken the face a little. You may think "She looks..... odd?" But not be able to explain it. That may be because highlights have only been added to part of her body (mostly waist down, legs, butt etc.) and her hair hasn't been 'sharpened' yet. More to come, but I figured it was finished enough to share. Enjoy Rodent!

Iceborn

Post by Iceborn » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:30 am

I tried to replicate that posture.

Now my arms hurt.
Ow, send help.
Misc Changes, with the Feats and Skills sublinks.
Available races
Spell Changes
Class Mechanics
Command Guide

Take a look before asking your questions!

Rodent

Post by Rodent » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:24 am

That is one hell of a pose, and I can barely replicate it myself. I don't doubt a Monk can, though. Interesting choice! Much love for taking the time to draw her, It is really impressive.

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:33 am

Yeah I watched my wife do it once and thought it was awesome, so I googled the pose. It's like a yoga and meditation pose, so that's what I aimed for. She was meditating before er'ybody started LOOKIN at her.

Hiss

Post by Hiss » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:09 pm

GAh what brushes do you use? I'm so jealous!

Hush

Post by Hush » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:10 pm

VashalaReturns wrote:Hey man! Definitely! I'd love to work with you!
Hit me up whenever! I've got some commissions I'm working on right now but it'd totally be fun!

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:13 pm

Hiss: I use AutoDesk from Samsung's play store. A really simple app that gives you about as much flexibility as old school photoshop did without a learning curve. it's literally just layers, brushes, and colors.

I start with a pencil sketch of the pose, generally with circles and squares, and I research (looking up drow armor styles, concepts, gaunt faces versus fat faces, different actors, deviate to facebook...)

Once i have the pencil 'form' I move into the line art, which I also do with a simple 'pencil' brush. After I get that down, I take the layer and make it semi transparent to make the lines barely legible. I switch over to a hard line 'pen' brush (in AutoDesk it's underneath the pencil) and hardline and clean up the form.

Once that's done, and I can comfortable trash the pencil layer, I do so and put a paint layer underneath the pen layer to do some coloring. Once I got the BASE colors down (takes a while), I make a layer of SOLID BLACK. I put that guy on transparent and start to 'ERASE' where I want to high light. This is generally where I decide where the light is coming from on a subject. I use a larger brush for this, with it's own transparency/cloudy effect on it to make it a blended mark kind of thing --("blended mark kind of thing = "I'm a professional.")

Once I figured out where the light is going, I make a new layer and paint with either solid white or a really light color of whatever I painted the subject with. In the Drow's case, it's either a cool blue/gray or straight gray, and amped up to almost white. That layer goes underneath the BLACK shaded layer, AND the INK layer, but OVER the color layer. This is where I outline the edges with white lines, light lines, and really make certain things pop.

After that's done, I go into the INK layer and erase certain hard lines that make the picture look to 'sharp' (generally the face lines are almost always erased, and any line that sits on a highlight side). I also take black lines on the shaded sides and really darken those areas with either solid black or a dark color of whatver I am using.

After that, I just mess with the values of my black layer and my white layer until Pelor is pleased, hit save, and call it a wash.

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Oh, and the background is painted on a completely separate layer of multiple colors, foregrounds, and curses to Elder Gods.

Here's a quick pic of SOME of the brushes that I use. The one I used for the Drow's Butt and lower waist (notice the highlight where her skin folds on her sides to make that 'taught' and clean skin fold?), is in the second row here, nine over from the left. That 'half moon' kind of brush. I used that on my highlight layer, "white" layer.

It's useful to use for swords as well. I used it to shade Laura Sinclair's blade, and the gnoll's axe.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:22 pm

I definitely gotta ask you to do Draavos when you have spare time. I love your work.
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:40 pm

So mid terms are over! YAY! Finished this little ditty today right before my last test. I have one more Underdark character before I move on to a different area in Arelith. Any suggestions about where to go next? Brogdenstein? Maybe goblins??

I'll let Wordless Truth to tell you what they want about this character above. :) It was quite a teat getting to know the character while I drew her AS IT IS with every character I draw!

Someone asked me recently why I haven't drawn Havarti yet. That's really because he hasn't done anything remarkable yet to deserve being drawn in Arelith. He's the only Grey Hood you guys see, but my schedule is so sporadic that I never get in on a DM event. I mean..... ever. Never ever. So until that happens, sadly, no Havarti! Or until he does something amazing with other characters WITHOUT a DM, which he really hasn't. :(

Anyway, enough pity party!! Enjoy Wordless Truth's amazing character, as much as I did! :)

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:42 pm

I would edit the word "teat" into "treat" as it should be...... but I won't.

Kalimere

Post by Kalimere » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:44 am

Do Guldorandians, do Guldorandians!
"I'm not grim."
~Andrej Cooper

".....Mostly."
~Also Andrej Cooper

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:57 am

Kalimere wrote:Do Guldorandians, do Guldorandians!
+1!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Guldorians it is, then. I'm interested actually in doing some seafarers as well. Maybe combine Guldoran and Warftown??

Wordless Truth

Post by Wordless Truth » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:43 pm

Thanks, this means a lot to me! Your work is honestly amazing.

VashalaReturns

Post by VashalaReturns » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:37 pm

Enjoy! The description on the deviantart page says the same, but I'll explain here:

I'm currently trying to build a portfolio of different art styles. This one is graphic art, comic style, very stark shadow contrast, outlining the body, etc. I'm new to this style of shading, and have been studying it warily for a while. I am a stickler for detail, and detail gets covered up when you splash the whole page in black! But here she is. Rauvlin. I think that's how you spell it? Let me know what you guys think!