Swashbuckler Builds

Discussions related to character builds and mechanics may occur here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
R0GUE
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:10 pm
Location: Washington, DC
Contact:

Swashbuckler Builds

Post by R0GUE » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:10 am

Anyone have any good ideas for a strong swashbuckler build? Throw them out there!

Drowboy
Posts: 69
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:30 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Drowboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:32 am

21 SB/4 fighter/5 WM, str or dex is my personal favorite.
Archnon wrote: I like the idea of slaves and slavery.

AstralUniverse
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:31 am

Wm has obvious synergy. I really dont have any 'good' ideas otherwise. I tried to make some sort of 16 buckler 4 bg 10 pdk Vanguard and it came out really bad. I want to see some more charisma focused build (or rather, a build with charisma too) that gets high value from Panache but right now it doesnt look viable to me.
Former Characters: Kirk Senner, Lorian Darkmoon, Rayne Mashavelle, Arkin Abellan, Ryth Ellaniar, Storm Kel Abu'adir, Edros Mashavelle.

User avatar
Opustus
Posts: 713
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:07 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Opustus » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am

Dex gnome Swash27/DwD3 with a svirf hammer, parry out the arse, and epic dodge. Take a beret head model.
Characters: Aster Argosy, Angtweron, Tierney Tinpot

User avatar
Tarkus the dog
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm

There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?

AstralUniverse
Posts: 228
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by AstralUniverse » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?
It's another class in the game. You're gonna play it or against it, and its probably going to be used for pve content sooner or later right? Dont be so negative bro. Some hard work was put into it.
Former Characters: Kirk Senner, Lorian Darkmoon, Rayne Mashavelle, Arkin Abellan, Ryth Ellaniar, Storm Kel Abu'adir, Edros Mashavelle.

User avatar
Tarkus the dog
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?
It's another class in the game. You're gonna play it or against it, and its probably going to be used for pve content sooner or later right? Dont be so negative bro. Some hard work was put into it.
I don't know how I'm being negative. The poster asked if there are any good/strong swashbuckler builds. There are none. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. This doesn't mean that I'm dismissing the fact that someone put work into making the class. Why are you trying to twist my words?

User avatar
Dr. B
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:36 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Dr. B » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

10/3/17 SB/Ranger/Assassin.

I also don't think the Swashbuckler is bad in its current state, even if the DCs from its abilities are kind of lackluster, and it's admittedly eclipsed by some stronger builds. But otherwise it's very playable.
Opustus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:31 am
Dex gnome Swash27/DwD3 with a svirf hammer, parry out the arse, and epic dodge. Take a beret head model.
They can get Epic Dodge? Since when?
Last edited by Dr. B on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. B wrote:'Kay, time to do a roundup of people who didn't realize this was an April Fool's joke, even after Nitro pointed it out:
  • Void
  • Shadow Reality
That is all.

a shrouded figure
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:18 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by a shrouded figure » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:00 pm

It’s it the update notes for SB 2.0 balance (epic dodge).

I’m looking at SB 24 Fighter 6 str/int. It gets some pretty nice damage output and I like the skill monkey lifestyle. I looked at monk but it’s too MAD for me. Dex builds look fun but I’m still on team STR

Kalopsia
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:34 am
Location: Europe

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Kalopsia » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:02 pm

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:26 pm
AstralUniverse wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:18 pm
Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm
There are no good swashbuckler builds in it's current stage. They are mediocre, on the same tier as a high shadowdancer - With the exception that the shadowdancers at least have a 12 second HiPS going for them.

I was going to give the class a try, but then I realized I would have a terrible time - And what is the point of playing something that's not fun?
It's another class in the game. You're gonna play it or against it, and its probably going to be used for pve content sooner or later right? Dont be so negative bro. Some hard work was put into it.
I don't know how I'm being negative. The poster asked if there are any good/strong swashbuckler builds. There are none. I'm not going to pretend otherwise. This doesn't mean that I'm dismissing the fact that someone put work into making the class. Why are you trying to twist my words?
Have a look at this build, if you like:

Image

AB: 49
AC: 71 in IE (plus Epic Dodge)
HP: 540
Saves (with Spellcraft+gear): 40 Fortitude, 47 Reflex (and Improved Evasion), 25 Will (can be higher with the right items or hard 5% rolls)
Average Damage: ~25 per hit, as a DEX build. More against specific enemies.
Other: DC33 STR and CON drain on hit - likely ignoring spellcraft, so this is not too bad.

the grim yeeter
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am

The only thing I would personally have against playing this build is the 25 damage per hit, which is low, especially considering the light hammer's 2x multiplier, and 10% bludg immunity and protective essences on other PCs. All other numbers are strong, though, and the drain is very powerful.

Not sure if it has been said somewhere before (it's not on the wiki at least), but I've been wondering: are actions like Third Intention and (Improved) Acrobatics Skill Mastery instant or standard?

User avatar
Tarkus the dog
Posts: 789
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:12 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:00 pm

They are instant.

the grim yeeter
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:07 pm

based

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:39 am

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Biolab00 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm

I'm giving my 2 cents here but I don't play swashbuckler.

From what I've read, int modifier gives them damage bonus scaling on class level.

Ive no idea if it means hard int or soft int
If it's soft int, it opens up a lot of possibility that gives Dex build higher damage.

Only if it's based on soft int, you can work your build around it

It can also include a reasonably high damage without sneak attack. Front line Dex fighter with high AC, reasonably high damage for a dex user, sufficient AB

User avatar
Algol
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:40 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by Algol » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:40 pm

the grim yeeter wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:45 am
The only thing I would personally have against playing this build is the 25 damage per hit, which is low, especially considering the light hammer's 2x multiplier, and 10% bludg immunity and protective essences on other PCs. All other numbers are strong, though, and the drain is very powerful.

Not sure if it has been said somewhere before (it's not on the wiki at least), but I've been wondering: are actions like Third Intention and (Improved) Acrobatics Skill Mastery instant or standard?
Light Hammers are x3 now
Currently: Eltanin Ulutar, Linda Steelcrag

the grim yeeter
Posts: 130
Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:47 pm

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by the grim yeeter » Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:42 pm

oh sweet, that's p. sick

User avatar
garrbear758
Contributor
Contributor
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:20 am
Location: Guam

Re: Swashbuckler Builds

Post by garrbear758 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:06 pm

Biolab00 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:39 pm
I'm giving my 2 cents here but I don't play swashbuckler.

From what I've read, int modifier gives them damage bonus scaling on class level.

Ive no idea if it means hard int or soft int
If it's soft int, it opens up a lot of possibility that gives Dex build higher damage.

Only if it's based on soft int, you can work your build around it

It can also include a reasonably high damage without sneak attack. Front line Dex fighter with high AC, reasonably high damage for a dex user, sufficient AB
It's soft
Edited for grammar, probably

Post Reply