Blade Thirst & Server Transition

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Blade Thirst & Server Transition

Post by Skibbles » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:19 pm

Description
==========
Spells staying active across server changes is one of the greatest changes ever.

However for Blade Thirst there are some wonky and frustrating results.

It is difficult to figure out exactly how it is working, but the enhancement bonus and on hit bonus are on seperate timers and there's no method in the game to fully dispel your weapons to put a fresh spell on it. (-dispel completely stripping all 'blue' magic effects from a held weapon would be just SO NICE).

Normally they are on the same timer if one never crosses server, but once you start server hopping the problems begin.

There are more than one problem so here we go.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Cast blade thirst and transition to another server.

Expected result
-----------------------
Your weapons and timers are all intact and you can proceed as normal.

Actual result
-------------------
Scenario 1: You cross servers and you arrive on the other side with inexplicably completely mundane weapons. Even your essence is gone (not sure if this is related). This is the ideal scenario sometimes since you can just recast your blade thirst and everything is normal.

Scenario 2: You cross servers and arrive on the other side with half the blade thirst (commonly I have found that the enhancement is gone but the on-hit remains, and this is where it gets very frustrating).
2a: Because enhancement is missing you recast the spell to put it back on, but it is still using the old timer for the on-hit effect because it isn't replaced or updated, meaning your Vamp Regen will wear off much sooner than the enhancement bonus.
2b: This leads to the frustrating happenstance that you have to cast the spell twice as often (resting twice as often) as the two conditions are on alternate timers and there's no way to simply dispel your weapon and start over, and what's worse is that this carries back with you when you cross back to your 'home' server once your weapons are infected.

Scenario 3: Crossing servers and successfully keeping Blade Thirst is also problematic because, unlike your spells, it doesn't go away when you rest and doesn't display on the -wp timer. There is no way to erase the magic once it is stuck after a transition. This makes it so you have to wait for it to completely run its course in order to fresh the spell. This is not ideal because, fortune being fickle as it is, it most assuredly will suddenly run out in the middle of a fight.

The only way to fix this is proactively, or wait for a reset on all servers. Usually I end up resting before I do transitions, or do the pre-transition QOL update like going to the Treadstone Locks or somewhere 'safe' to do the spells before going to where I actually wanted to go with everyone else.

Screenshot(s)
--------------------
I always forget. Next time I accidentally stumble across a transition I didn't know I'll take one. I really try to avoid getting this bug as it can be quickly lethal for my character.

Misc Notes
----------------
I just wanna experience the same QOL as everyone else =(

I also would bet this is a problem shared by any other weapon enhancing magic that gives more than one weapon condition.

One very strange thing I've noticed is that sometimes, even after a reset, my weapons will have the on-hit effect even if I haven't played for a full day or longer and the spell should have loooong since expired. Even if it's a server I haven't been on for a while. I have no explanation for this, and it also doesn't seem to cause the problems I outlined above.

Which Server(s)?
------------------------
All of them, or the void in between.

Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------
I don't leave my quarter on mobile so PC only for now, but I assume this has nothing to do with the platform.
Last edited by Skibbles on Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

LichBait

Re: Blade Thirst & Server Transition

Post by LichBait » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:11 pm

I think this is related to temporary buffs on gear. I've noticed Magic Vestment and Essences will be gone from weapons on a server transition a majority of the time. If I unequip the weapons/armor, so far, the buffs have survived the transitions. If they are equipped, about 75% of the time all temporary buffs will be removed.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:20 pm

Interesting. I haven't been paying close attention to how it interacts whether or not the items are equipped on transition, since they're weapons, but I'll start experimenting with that. You might have something there.

To clarify: magic vestment on full plate goes away if you transition while wearing it, but it seems to stick if you transition with it in your inventory?

PS: I added a 3rd scenario I forgot.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Skibbles wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:20 pm

To clarify: magic vestment on full plate goes away if you transition while wearing it, but it seems to stick if you transition with it in your inventory?
Yes. I've also noticed it with Temp. Essences on weapons as well.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:05 pm

There's quite a few things that go on when you join the server, especially regarding equipped items.
I can take a look when I get a chance but no promises here.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Paint

Post by Paint » Fri Nov 05, 2021 11:25 pm

I can confirm I've deliberately unequipped weapons to keep buffs on them when transitioning servers, yeah.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am

Sincra wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:05 pm
There's quite a few things that go on when you join the server, especially regarding equipped items.
I can take a look when I get a chance but no promises here.
Better than nothing!

If anything, to get around all of this if it cannot be 'fixed', I think a '-dispel weapons' or '-dispel arms' that just forcefully blanks all temp weapon/armor mods would be just as good. Resting doesn't remove it after transition.

That way it's easy to prepare fresh if one is expecting to need them active for a while, and doesn't want to wait until it expires naturally first.