80 Lore not letting one use 9th Circle scrolls

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kalthariam

80 Lore not letting one use 9th Circle scrolls

Post by Kalthariam » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:14 am

Description
==========

Having 80 Lore is not allowing the use of 9th circle scrolls. Character is at 78 Lore before drinking a foxes cunning potion to get +2 int bonus to hit 80. The game will not recognize at this point that I can use level 9 scrolls until I log out and log back in. This isn't due to the int buff being dispelled and losing it. It has happened and continues to happen.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------

Using Foxes cunning potion at 78 lore to reach 80 lore, then attempting to use a scrolsl or quick slot a 9th circle scroll and getting told "You cannot use this item"

Expected result
-----------------------

Having 80 lore will allow me to quick slot lore scrolls of 9th level and cast them

Actual result
-------------------

It does not allow me to cast or quick slot 9th level scrolls until I log out and log back in again.

Which Server(s)?
------------------------

PGCC, Surface, Underdark, Cordor and Planes (Probably others too but my character has not visited those servers.

Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------

Steam PC.

Griefmaker

Re: 80 Lore not letting one use 9th Circle scrolls

Post by Griefmaker » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:01 pm

I have noticed this myself recently with a low level character. But what I have found I have to do, especially if I use something to "boost" the lore to the threshold is right click on the scroll which seems to recheck the lore value and if it meets the threshold, then it can be used (I have even noticed the red outline about the scroll at first, but once this is done, then it is "good to go" or whatever and i can use it).

If you are still doing that and it is not working, then yeah, things are borked!

Ebonstar

Post by Ebonstar » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:55 pm

Last time I saw something like this was because potions did not count to a required set score.
Yes I can sign

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:26 pm

If you can use them after relogging, pressing "I" twice to close and reopen your inventory should achieve the same goal.

I have to swap in lore rings to use level 2 scrolls on my character and I have to relog or refresh my inventory after equipping the rings to be able to use the scrolls.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:26 pm

Like many things, that character sheet can also lie about what your lore score counts towards using a scroll.

The first that comes to mind is that if you have any bard levels they get a lore bonus that doesn't 1:1 count towards using scrolls. The total will count for other checks, so lie wasn't the right word, but that's something to double-check.

Sources: Sources of Lore which contribute to the Lore value used for scroll usage:
Skill Ranks, Intelligence modifier, + Lore on equipment, the Dwarven bonus to Lore, Courteous Magocracy , Skill Focus: Lore and Epic Skill Focus: Lore, 1/2 of the Bardic Knowledge Lore bonus.
It does NOT include the spells Identify or Legend Lore, or the skill bonus from Bard Song.

Who is the audience for this post?

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:56 am

When I log in with zero buffs I get the “you cannot use this item” message for some scrolls I keep hotkeyed.

Once I buff my Int, I can use them, but the message doesn’t go away until I examine them and then put them in my hotkeys again.

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by Sincra » Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:06 am

Go into your skill menu and select lore twice, it should update to show your actual lore for scroll use in the description.
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.