NPCs refer to content not present in the game

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

mikezanuda

NPCs refer to content not present in the game

Post by mikezanuda » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:38 pm

Brand new player here.

When in Cordor in the starting area, you speak to the Dock Master and when you ask him "What else is there?" he would tell you, there is William Haulfest who has problems with some cult.

Then you speak with Kasha Delrson at the same square in the Government District and ask her the directions to "Buy some healing supplies". She tells you there is William Haulfest in the Temple of Torm at the Temple District "just there where you must have landed".

Also, at the foot of the meeting hall, there is a notice board with the altars listed, and the Altar of Torm is mentioned there as if situated at the Great Temple.

Point is - there is no altar of Torm there (maybe I missed it but I have literally been checking everywhere for hours!), nor the Temple District in Cordor, nor the Temple of Torm, and most importantly - there is no William Haulfest anywhere!

In case I was missing something, I rp-ed with several players, involving them in the investigation. Noone of them seemed to know what I was talking about, but some did mention I was referring to something that "wasn't a thing in Cordor for at least like 70 years already".

That brought me the idea, this is some old script referring to former content that wasn't present anymore and that it hadn't been updated. I tried to deliver this thought to a DM, but they seemed to not listen - as if it was impossible there was an outdated script for the current NPCs on Arelith. But the NPCs are there, and you can replicate the issue if you follow the upper description.

Please take a look at this, because it's VERY misleading for new players who wouldn't know what is scripted and what is bugged. And if there is no error, but I just could not find the named areas and the NPC, please let me know - without spoilers - so that I will keep looking further.

Stay warm.

Haniaboo

Re: NPCs refer to content not present in the game

Post by Haniaboo » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:11 pm

Hey, I created the altar list at the bottom of the government building. I think everything listed is correct but the sign and list is player made, so it may not always be accurate with how many new altars are made and how many are destroyed.
The altar to Torm is in the Grand Temple, but it's not listed as "Altar to Torm" it's "The Hand of Righteousness" which is a title of his. Some altars might not be named "altar to [god]" they might use a gods nickname/title , just something to be aware of!
If you do notice any missing altars, feel free to contact the Minister of Faith IC though, I'll have it changed.

mikezanuda

Post by mikezanuda » Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:57 pm

Haniaboo wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:11 pm

The altar to Torm is in the Grand Temple, but it's not listed as "Altar to Torm" it's "The Hand of Righteousness" which is a title of his. Some altars might not be named "altar to [god]" they might use a gods nickname/title , just something to be aware of!

Yeah I guessed about the altars in process, but was too exhausted after cycling around them literally for hours and didn't feel like checking the every altar again. Still, I don't know how to see what god exactly an altar is dedicated to. I'll find - I'm new to the game, and there are just too many options to catch them all at once.

Still, this is far from the main point. The main point is the NPC and areas to be referred to but not present in the game. It might be nothing important for those players who just take writs and accomplish them semi-automatically. But imagine, some do read what NPCs may have to say, do pay attention to the clues they give and do consider these some sort of quests - is how we play a roleplay game. So when some NPC is mentioned and I can not find it where it is supposed to be - I will spend literally hours looking around and asking people IC, assuming it is hidden somewhere to be found, maybe through some unexpected twist.
Hence my concern about the damaged script.

Thanks for your reply anyway!

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Twohand » Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:29 pm

The temple where you used to find William was updated and the clergy of the Red Knight moved in. It's not actually a bug, it's just that some dialogs were not updated with the areas themselves, but it should be corrected, yes.