Cavalier Class bug report thread (Leveling, Feats, Spirited Charge, etc.)

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Cavalier Class bug report thread (Leveling, Feats, Spirited Charge, etc.)

Post by Kenji » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:20 am

Please consider providing the following information when reporting Leveling and Feat Choices pertaining to Cavaliers, Spirited Charge, or any related bugs:
  • What are the class levels?
  • What relevant feats were taken?
  • Was it mounted or not?
  • Which weapon did you use for the charge?
When did you activate Spirited Charge?
  • Was it right before combat starts?
  • Was it before getting into combat but some time has elapsed? How long before that time had elapsed?
  • Was it during the middle of a combat round? Which flurry was it?
  • Did you mount or dismount while the on-hit effect (examine weapon to see) is still active?
  • Did you log out and back in while the on-hit effect is still active?
  • Did you combine the above two?
If it's on PGCC, what does the DEBUG message say?
Anything else you can think of?

For feedbacks related to Cavalier changes in general, please refer to this thread linked below:
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32340

Dreams

Re: Critical Cavalier Bug

Post by Dreams » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:22 am

Just want to note this has been here since Cavalier was first made.

Naghast

Re: Cavalier Spirited Charge bug report thread

Post by Naghast » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:03 pm

side note: the information i'm providing right now was gathered BEFORE THE RECENT CHANGE TO CAVALIERS. but from what i've heard, the bug is still present.
1: i first saw it when i was tinkering with fighter/cavalier/rogue (rogue was only a dip)
2: all the mounted feats were taken, excluding the archery thing
3: it was mounted, and unmounted (although the spirited charge HAD to be activated while mounted, the effect persisted when i got off the horse)
4: i was using a lance

i activated spirited charge when mounted, but out of combat - i'd need to check if it acts the same way when activated in combat.

i will try to provide more information when i get the opportunity to hop onto pgcc and tinker some more, in which case, i will post a new reply.

Saleph

Post by Saleph » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:11 pm

Right, my info:
Please consider providing the following when reporting Spirited Charge related bugs:

What are the class levels?
12 Bard, 4 Paladin, 4 Cav (currently lvl 20).
What relevant feats were taken?
Mounted Combat, Imp Crit+WF One-handed Edged
Was it mounted or not?
Yes, when first using it.
Which weapon did you use for the charge?
Scimitar, Light flail.

Was it right before combat starts?
Yes, just before hitting the first flurry.
Did you mount or dismount while the on-hit effect (examine weapon to see) is still active?
Yes, but only after like 5min of the effect being active (so already way into this-is-a-bug time).
Did you log out and back in while the on-hit effect is still active?
No.
Did you combine the above two?
No.

Observation:
While on horseback Spirited Charge works just as intended, reducing to 1APR and giving the nice damage+effect thing on hit. But after
SC is over, the temporary effect on the weapon used stays (I havent checked how long, but at least 90RLmin), weather on horseback or not. Even after putting into inventory and wielding again. So, basically giving me the 100+DMG+effect hit once every combat round.
Last edited by Saleph on Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:19 pm

I might have an idea what's causing it but there are a lot of little moving parts for Spirited Charge and will require further testing over the next few days.

If it can be consistently exploited for more than 1 charge/round inside or outside of CD, then the current iteration of Spirited Charge will likely have to be disabled on live servers until it is sorted out on PGCC.

I have also updated the original post for more inquiries. Feel free to edit your posts if you have more observations of the bug to offer.

P.S.: And before anyone starts raging about how it isn't tested extensively on PGCC: this update didn't break Spirited Charge, it was already like this before the update. The recent update only brought attention to the bug and hopefully with gained popularity will we receive enough reports that help further pinpoint the root of the cause.

Dreams

Re: Cavalier Class bug report thread (Leveling, Feats, Spirited Charge, etc.)

Post by Dreams » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:42 pm

At the moment you can potentially double-proc the Spirited Charge effect within a single flurry, assuming you have enough attacks through Improved Two Weapon. Assume you have a full BAB class (ranger) with Imp Two Weapon, and 5 Cav, hasted. With access to more weapons you can hit a much higher APR. Doing this can also have multiple effects proc depending on what weapons you're using. The properties remain on the weapon after dismounting, and you can go around getting this damage in indoor areas too.

I highly recommend this gets disabled on live servers until it's fixed. It was already crazy before this update.

Mortem_Fero

Post by Mortem_Fero » Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:34 pm

When using Spirited charge on foot my crit range gets all messed up and getting weird text in my combat log: (19 Barb, 5 Cav used spirited charge on horse and on foot and get message on both now, tried unmounting still get it, nothing else was used besides spirited charge)

"DEBUG: Weapontype 208
DEBUG Weapon threat range is: 19
Charge attack 1"

Despite the fact that my threat range should be 15 (using falchion + improved Crit)

- update: My character is completely bugged, even attacks outside of charge give me the message repoted above and my damage is incorrect, unequipping the weapon and/or resting seem to have fixed it

Miss Giovanna

Spirited charge bugged and exploitable due to changes at last update

Post by Miss Giovanna » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am

New bug, appeared today due to the the spirited charge changes... I think this is actually quite urgent, and can be exploited horribly.

An OnHit property is applied to my weapon (in this case a scimitar) at the moment of spirited charge (only when charging while mounted), but it is not removed at the end of the spirited charge. The property remains even after unmounting.

At this point the weapon type of the scimitar becomes unrecognizable (with a prompt to report this to developers).

If mounted, a devastating charge happens once in a round. I managed to remove the OnHit property by resting, and that is when the error messages about unrecognizable weapon ceased.

However my lance remains bugged, and cannot be restored to normal. Resting or relogging is unable to remove the property from the lance.

My assumption is that when the normal mounted spirited charge functionality was temporarily disabled, some part of the code is still being executed while some is not, resulting in these bizarre behaviors.

The bug makes weapons extremely overpowered.

FURTHER INFORMATION AS REQUESTED:

What are the class levels?
Cavalier 5, other classes can be sent on personal message at request.

Was it mounted or not?
Mounted, but damage is increased even at foot afterwards.

Which weapon did you use for the charge?
Both lance and scimitar.

Which feats?
I used both improved expertise and parry before realizing that something was wrong.

During auto attack mode.

Was it right before combat starts?
The first charge I made was before any enemies were at sight, to see the attack bonus on my character sheet.

Was it before getting into combat but some time has elapsed? How long before that time had elapsed?

I think between the first charge and an actual combat somewhere between 30 and 90 seconds elapsed. I also noted a strange +13 piercing damage modifier later that is not directly related to any of my equipment. It seemed to persist regardless of weapon, even bare handed. It however was soon removed (I probably tried resting).

Was it during the middle of a combat round?

Did you mount or dismount while the on-hit effect (examine weapon to see) is still active?

Yes, but at that point I had already been making consistent overdamage for some time.

Did you log out and back in while the on-hit effect is still active?

Only later, to see if that would remove it.

Did you combine the above two?

I tried both to get rid of the effect.
Last edited by Miss Giovanna on Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kenji

Re: Spirited charge bugged and exploitable due to changes at last update

Post by Kenji » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:41 am

Miss Giovanna wrote:
Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:21 am
Is this on PGCC or live server?

Miss Giovanna

Post by Miss Giovanna » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:18 am

This is on Surface.

Miss Giovanna

Post by Miss Giovanna » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:03 pm

I have updated my previous report with all the requested details.

Miss Giovanna

Post by Miss Giovanna » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:16 am

Update: seeing the report of the other player, my character is also 5 cavalier with barbarian tribesman levels, and others.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:04 am

Can anyone test extensively if the mounted spirited charge is still firing off on live servers? It should only give off a debug message now.

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:22 am

I can confirm, except for the debug message. :s will it stay off for long? :s

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:52 pm

You can confirm if it is still firing off except for the debug message? Or it is completely disabled and only the debug message remains?

Rico_scorpion

Post by Rico_scorpion » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:18 pm

The haste vfx fires upon clicking spirited charge.
I get +3 Ab while mounted (shouldn't it be 6?) for a few secs.
The cd works normally.
It doesn't change the number of attack per round nor does it applies the damages on the next attack (turned off). There is no "spirited charge strike" at all (no red vfx under the striken foe, no damage, no console flavor text, etc)
No debug messages.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:23 pm

I see, it's working as intended for now. If the debug message isn't showing, then that means the mounted spirited charge script isn't firing off at-all, which is better than I expected.

If anyone is receiving a debug message while mounted, however, please try and provide a detailed post about how to replicate that.

Miss Giovanna

Summon Mount dysfunctional (summons nothing)

Post by Miss Giovanna » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:46 pm

While using the feat, summon animation is performed, but no mount is subsequently summoned. Cavalier 5 / Wizard / Barbarian. I'll provide more information at request, if needed.

Oh the hu-merman-ty

Extra damage sources on plate breaker lance not working.

Post by Oh the hu-merman-ty » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:30 am

I might not understand the game engine enough to understand the difference in "Extra damage types" and base damage types. But with my plate breaker lance, with +4 poistitve energy. The "Haunted tree" Monster in the forest of despair the living roots were taking only 2 points of poistive energy damage, and being completely immune to all melee damage from the lance, as if processing it as piercing alone, despite the bonus damage type.

When I tried with my lesser moon blade I was doing upwards of 14 damage a hit, with slashing damage. I was wondering if this is a bug, or if Extra melee damage isn't the same has having a base damage type. CAuse the plate breaker lance says bonus damage slashing.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:49 am

Cavalier has been overhauled, please funnel all of your bug reports here.

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:49 pm

It seems that there is some bug with taking levels of Cavalier, at least on the PGCC. Despite meeting the pre-reqs of 6 BAB (3 levels of a 3/4 and 4 levels of a full BAB class), mounted combat, and 8 ranks in ride (was 10 but splitting hairs), when I took a level of cavalier and confirmed with with the level up summary, it would not apply and instantly put me back before I had taken the level.

For reference, this was done on a LE duergar

DeepDarkTruth

Post by DeepDarkTruth » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:36 pm

I can confirm this and I've attempted it on both an excisting character and when making a test toon from scratch. Selecting cav on pgcc resets your level to what it was prior from taking it.

Pgcc
Race: human
Class levels: barb 15 Ranger 3, attempting to take cavalier on 19 reports "too many feats for this character"
Last edited by DeepDarkTruth on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose." - Celia, The order of the Stick.

~~Rachel M'haaren~~ - Strangled by plague elf
~~Sipas~~ - Lost searching for ancient tomes in the sands
~~Marley Goodman~~ - Dead and rotting

strong yeet

Cannot change cavalier weapon appearances

Post by strong yeet » Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:12 am

All of the new cavalier weapons are not able to have their appearances changed. When you try to change their appearance, it says "No weapon equipped in the right hand."

Screenshot here of what happens:

DeepDarkTruth

Post by DeepDarkTruth » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:17 pm

Summon mount feat of the cavalier does not seem to be working, or I'm doing something very wrong.

Server: C&P
Race: human
Class 16 barbrian 10 cavalier

Use feat
Expected results: Horse appears
Actual results: Attempts to cast spell "Summon mount" nothing happens, timer doesn't trigger either

Steps to douplicate: I've attempted both summon mount and summon special mount, both yield the same outcome.
Last edited by DeepDarkTruth on Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Hey, I don't make the crazy rules, I just twist them to my purpose." - Celia, The order of the Stick.

~~Rachel M'haaren~~ - Strangled by plague elf
~~Sipas~~ - Lost searching for ancient tomes in the sands
~~Marley Goodman~~ - Dead and rotting

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:49 pm

If you can, provide your class levels (Cav and non-Cav) so I can better pinpoint what’s going on with the script.