Ward-Teleport not working on Treadstone Portal

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Ward-Teleport not working on Treadstone Portal

Post by Bunnysmack » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:55 am

Description
==========
The use of ESF Abjuration to lock an area against teleportation in or out of the zone seems to be not affecting the portal in Treadstone Locks. I used the ability to prevent two PCs from leaving via the portal, and both proceeded to use it to depart with no trouble whatsoever.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Have anyone with ESF Abjuration cast War-Teleport while standing in the TRadstone Locks instance. Then, as a UD character, attempt to use the main two-way portal in order to depart the area.

Expected result
-----------------------
The portal should fail to work and give a status message about a force pushing the traveler back from it.

Actual result
-------------------
The portal will work fine, and the UD character will be able to travel through it.

Screenshot(s)
--------------------
Sadly, as I realized I should take screenshots with a time stamp, I had already touched the server transition to enter the UD.

Notes
---------
This occurred today at roughly 6:30pm GMT-8, if the staff want to check the log to confirm what happened.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Ward-Teleport not working on Treadstone Portal

Post by Skibbles » Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:50 pm

Out of curiosity did the departing characters use the portal to transition to another Surface location (Treadstone is on the surface server), or did they use the portal to transition to another server entirely? You mentioned they're UD characters so I'm thinking that the portal was used to go back to the UD server. This might be part of the issue, and it might effect more than the Treadstone if it is.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm about 95% sure they used it to return to the Underdark. I think I saw their names show up in the system log with "has left the server," but I can't recall for certain. The two thoughts I had about what might be related causes for the bug are either using it to server transition, or the fact that that the Treadstone portal only allows certain PCs to access it.
"You're insufferable..."

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:27 am

I didn't know Treadstone's Portal was UD only. I thought that restriction applied only to The Hub and, oddly, Ruins (East).

Either way it seems possible that transitioning to another server entirely might somehow mess with the teleport warding.

The teleport ward has been very squirrely in the past too - usually in the form of people being able to portal away from the location using fixed portal, but not to the location. I haven't seen this for at least a year and the last time I did was at the outpost.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:53 pm

Bumping this, as the exact same thing happened again the other day. Treadstone portal, Drow started to approach it, TP Ward, and...Drow still used it to port out.
"You're insufferable..."

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm

Teleport ward does not prevent the use of static portal sources to teleport out of a warded area.

It should prevent people from teleporting ~to those static locations.

That is how it is presently anyway.

Morgy

Post by Morgy » Mon May 03, 2021 6:20 am

BHR55 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm
Teleport ward does not prevent the use of static portal sources to teleport out of a warded area.

I’m sure it prevented this in the past? The wiki would also imply so.

-ward teleport
Prevents teleportation into or out of the current map for the duration of the spell. For epic abjurers only.
Use: -ward teleport
-ward teleport closes off the current area when it comes to teleportation. No one can -teleport, use a planar portal, or use a portal lens to enter or leave the area, and no one can -yoink anyone to or from the area until the spell fades.‘

BHR55
Contributor
Contributor

Post by BHR55 » Wed May 12, 2021 7:22 am

Morgy wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 6:20 am
BHR55 wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:39 pm

I’m sure it prevented this in the past? The wiki would also imply so.

-ward teleport
Prevents teleportation into or out of the current map for the duration of the spell. For epic abjurers only.
Use: -ward teleport
-ward teleport closes off the current area when it comes to teleportation. No one can -teleport, use a planar portal, or use a portal lens to enter or leave the area, and no one can -yoink anyone to or from the area until the spell fades.‘
I am not sure how it was when that entry was written, in roughly two years it has never prevented the use of an existing teleport fixture. I am unsure on if that is intended or not however.

Behind the scenes I think it's simply because the fixtures trigger a dialogue, you would not be able to ESF trans create a new one, but existing ones just require talking to. If it is meant to prevent this the dialogue likely would need a check added to look for a ward in the area.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Sat May 22, 2021 9:49 pm

Update on this:

ALSO Ward-Teleport is NOT effecting the Balor Maw Lake portal. Tested for both leaving via the portal, and entering the area with the portal as the destination. I think two-way portals are entirely ignoring both directions of Ward-Teleport.
"You're insufferable..."