Arcane Spell Failure on Horseback Affecting Divine Casters

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Arcane Spell Failure on Horseback Affecting Divine Casters

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Tue May 04, 2021 2:32 pm

As stated here, there is a 10% arcane spell failure on horseback.

However, it is affecting divine spell casters as well. Divine spell casters should never experience spell failure in this way, let alone arcane.
Burin the Earthly.

Dreams

Re: Arcane Spell Failure on Horseback Affecting Divine Casters

Post by Dreams » Wed May 05, 2021 9:09 am

I think 'arcane spell failure' is a mistake. When I was playing a horse-riding favoured soul in the past, I was specifically told that the spell failure applies intentionally to all casters. Taking the feat Mounted Combat overcomes this, or using the Arcane Tower horses.

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Wed May 05, 2021 1:54 pm

If it’s bypassed by just using a different horse what exactly is the purpose of the spell failure chance? Is there some other reason someone might want a warhorse or wild horse? Is it just using game mechanics to establish narrative flavor?

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm

Cybren wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:54 pm
If it’s bypassed by just using a different horse what exactly is the purpose of the spell failure chance?
I presume it's the horse not accustomed to you casting flashy, loud, and potentially explosive spells. Rather than specify which spells effect the horse by how subjectively distracting they are (i.e. Resistance vs. Sunbeam), a blanket method was used. Mounted Combat is like the "hey, now you are definitely a great horse rider to where your horse won't spook".
Cybren wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 1:54 pm
Is there some other reason someone might want a warhorse or wild horse? Is it just using game mechanics to establish narrative flavor?
I believe the Destrier and other warhorses have higher HP. Wild horse has been said to have a higher movespeed base, but I have never found that to be the case.

Cybren

Post by Cybren » Wed May 05, 2021 4:23 pm

Okay but the horse doesn’t have any hp while you’re riding it

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Good Character wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm
I presume it's the horse not accustomed to you casting flashy, loud, and potentially explosive spells. Rather than specify which spells effect the horse by how subjectively distracting they are (i.e. Resistance vs. Sunbeam), a blanket method was used. Mounted Combat is like the "hey, now you are definitely a great horse rider to where your horse won't spook".
I disagree here. This is a classic high-fantasy world, where magic is used all the time, and horses are used all the time. I find it easy to believe that horses would be acclimated to such things. The feats are geared towards the rider, not the horse. Spell failure at all seems pretty silly, and Divine casters are never subject to such things as well.
Burin the Earthly.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 pm

Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Good Character wrote:
I disagree here. This is a classic high-fantasy world, where magic is used all the time, and horses are used all the time. I find it easy to believe that horses would be acclimated to such things. The feats are geared towards the rider, not the horse. Spell failure at all seems pretty silly, and Divine casters are never subject to such things as well.
The Forgotten Realms is definitely a 'medium' fantasy world. In Dungeon Master's Guide it references "hamlets" (Bendir Village, Skal, and Sencliff being good examples) as not having seen magic for "generations" and only cities like Waterdeep see magic on a somewhat consistent basis.

Yes the feat is gear towards the rider mechanically, but certainly you can roleplay that your mastery in the saddle translate to your ability to calm your horse.

I can see the argument being made that a one-time concentration check is made instead, but I assume they didn't go that route due to all casters carrying the skill.

Glowing Mushroom

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Wed May 05, 2021 11:59 pm

Good Character wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 10:54 pm
Glowing Mushroom wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm
Good Character wrote:
The Forgotten Realms is definitely a 'medium' fantasy world. In Dungeon Master's Guide it references "hamlets" (Bendir Village, Skal, and Sencliff being good examples) as not having seen magic for "generations" and only cities like Waterdeep see magic on a somewhat consistent basis.

Yes the feat is gear towards the rider mechanically, but certainly you can roleplay that your mastery in the saddle translate to your ability to calm your horse.

I can see the argument being made that a one-time concentration check is made instead, but I assume they didn't go that route due to all casters carrying the skill.
This is unrelated but I'd be surprised to see anyone label FR as medium fantasy.

Lord of the Rings is considered high fantasy, and Forgotten Realms is way more weird and complicated and inundated with ridiculous lore than LotR. You have everything from Halflings, Orcs, and Elves - To dwarven gods breathing into the sparks on anvils to create the first dwarves, or macabre and surreal concepts such as the Far Realm.

This really doesn't have anything to do with anything but I find the discussion interesting lol.
Burin the Earthly.