Container's weight bug

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Emaster

Container's weight bug

Post by Emaster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:42 am

Description
==========

Yesterday in a long trip of adventures I had, I was randomly getting the weight penalty speed movement between every remain looted, and the last remains randomly gave me the penalty until I looted another enemy remain. After some investigation, I realized my enchanted jewelry box was either full weight (Not applying reduction) and having some sort of weight reduction applied.

Today, I managed to get an enchanted mining bag, so I took all my previous bag items and put them inside the lesser one, and to my surprise the weight was the same, until I pulled 1 raw gem and put it inside again and the weight reduction was applied.

After that, I tried to experiment with my lesser herbalist bag, it weight was 18.8, then I took 5 nuts out of it, put them inside again and the weight was reduced to 10.8.

Finally, I ran a test with a gem bag I keep my dust, I took 48 topaz gem dust out of it. The new weight is 35.1, and when I added 4.8 lbs inside it, it becamed 45.1. Which is odd as the gem bag has no weight reduction. So I have no clue what's going on.
If I keep removing an adding the same amount of weight, the number remains the same, so the bag is not magically gaining some weight on it every time I repeat the process.

Edited: I also see the headbag is doing some odd math.
I cleaned my bag using the storage container repair station before doing this test:

3 Iceskale Drake heads = 31.2
1 Iceskale Drake head = 10.4
Base headbag weight = 2

Base headbag with the 3 heads inside = 32 (I was expecting 33.2)

Now, If I manually add one by one :
Base headbag with 1 head inside = 12 (Was expecting 12.4)
Base headbag with 2 heads inside = 27 (Was expecting 22,8) Where does the 4.2 lbs are being counted on?
Base headbag with 3 heads inside = 32 (I was expecting 33.2) So the third head fixes the odd weight increase from the second one.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------

1.- Fill an enchanted gem box with.. let's say 5 lbs.
2.- Set autoloot on? (I use it)
3.- Inspect the container weight and take note of it
4.- Click on an enemy remain that drops jewelry.
5.- Inspect the container.

Expected result
-----------------------

Weight should be increased a little, depending on the amount of jewelry picked up.

Actual result
-------------------

Weight is increased by a lot.
If something else is added, then weight is set to the expected result.

Screenshot(s)
--------------------

I have the before and after of the herbalist bag and gem bag, still, they only shows the weight numbers here mentioned. If needed, let me know.

Notes
---------

If jewelry box is emptied completely, it weights is 0.4.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Container's weight bug

Post by Rei_Jin » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:05 am

Sounds like the bags may need to go into the repair station.

Give that a try, then test and report back.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:25 pm

I've had similar problems with a herbalist bag (lesser) that comes with 40% weight reduction (why is lesser better than standard btw? Anyway).

I'm testing with the following contents:
88 Fruits
128 Cotton
97 Lady's Tear
98 Berries
45 Nuts
1 Ripplebark Fungus

Weight of bag while empty: 0.8
Weight of bag while full via "Place all suitable items into container": 32.8
I'd expect a weight of 0.8 + (88 + 128 + 97 + 98 + 45 + 1) * 0.1 (regular weight) * 0.4 (40% weight reduction) = 19.08 lbs.

Now I add them manually shown with weight first and contents after
6.8 (88 fruits)
8.8 (88 fruits, 100 cotton)
10.8 (88 fruits, 128 cotton)
12.8 (88 fruits, 128 cotton, 97 lady's tear)
16.8 (88 fruits, 128 cotton, 97 lady's tear, 98 berries)
18.8 (88 fruits, 128 cotton, 97 lady's tear, 98 berries, 45 nuts)
18.8 (88 fruits, 128 cotton, 97 lady's tear, 98 berries, 45 nuts, 1 ripplebark fungus)

So my final weight is even lower than expected (in this case, there seems to be 2 lbs jumps and if you're right under the limit, adding a single 0.1 lbs item can make the weight go up by 2 lbs).

However, I can only get there if I add it manually which is much less convenient than 1-click "add all suitable". I've already repaired this bag, but there was no change in bag mischief.

Emaster

Post by Emaster » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 pm

Rei_Jin wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:05 am
Sounds like the bags may need to go into the repair station.

Give that a try, then test and report back.
1.- The steps to reproduce was done with a freshly repeaired container.
2.- The Mining bag was just obtained from a chest. So kinda hard to say the bag needed some repair.
3.- The head bag test was also done with a container taken from the repair station.

How about if you go in game and check your bags and give it a try and report back?

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:24 am

There's no need to be snarky, I was trying to help. You hadn't said that you'd repaired the bags.

I've had no issue recently with my bags on any of my characters.

When I have had issues in the past, putting them in the bag repair station has rectified it.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:41 pm

Honestly from the testing you're doing, the only thing I can see is possible rounding errors in the weight calculations. They are only off by +/-10% at best, so it's really not that big of a deal.

Something to be corrected? Sure. But nothing too game breaking or limiting.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:29 pm

"Place all suitable items into container" resulted in 32.8 where it should have been around 19 lbs. The part that works is adding each stack individually, which resulted in 18.8.

Having a working "Place all suitable items into container" would be much more neat.

Maybe Emasters bug is also due to use of the "Place all suitable items into container" option via the containers dialogue?

It is my firm belief that speaking with bags will only put more weight on your shoulders.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:12 pm

So with bags.. I can take a look at this, but container weight adjustments are handled in a manner that nowadays we have better functions (especially in NWNXEE) to handle. Containers are lifesaving (if temperamental) tools, but nowadays we probably want to look at refactoring. In the fullness of time, a rewrite of the code there would address this bug and several other issues.

I'm going to poke around and see if I can find an obvious culprit that we can target or a way to mitigate this, but I might close this report (and others like it) as unresolved in the end by necessity. We could sink more time into investigating container behavior than we might spend rewriting it, and I'd rather not burn too much time in a system that we may well see fully replaced.

Very annoying, and this is not the kind of response I like to give to bug threads, but it's the honest long and short of it. I'll bump this later on with any developments.

Done.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Thats a nice response. I'm just hoping it'll get looked at someday(tm) and a refactored container sounds neat. I'm reading it as if it might even result in bags that have accurate weights, rather than somewhat accurate +- 2lbs. Might not, but since I don't know whats possible there, then from my perspective, the days of bag swindling weights might be a thing of the past.