Exploding Barrels Failing To Retain Customisation

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Exploding Barrels Failing To Retain Customisation

Post by Kuma » Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:39 pm

Description
==========
The exploding barrels don't seem to function like ordinary fixtures - they do not produce the 'fixture saved' text, don't take up fixture slots in an area, and they do not retain any custom name or description assigned to them when placed down (the real crime, since the RP possibilities are limitless).

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Make Explosive Barrel
Rename/redescribe as something dope
Place Explosive Barrel down

Expected result
-----------------------
Explosive Barrel retains dope new description/name

Actual result
-------------------
Explosive Barrel is boring as hell

Screenshot(s)
--------------------
Not really applicable.

Notes

pls fix me want fun exploding fixture for mad science purposes

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Exploding Barrels Failing To Retain Customisation

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:27 pm

Revisiting explosives code has been on my to-do, will review this behaviour along with it.

Done.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm

I had been told in the past that this was because these were coded as temporary fixtures. In other words, you cannot leave them on a server over resets, ala traps. I think the reason for this was exactly what this bug says. I don't think the team wanted them placed around a room named "Wine Barrel" and then detonated when the room was full of people for some assassination attempt or something.

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm

Archnon wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:43 pm
I had been told in the past that this was because these were coded as temporary fixtures. In other words, you cannot leave them on a server over resets, ala traps. I think the reason for this was exactly what this bug says. I don't think the team wanted them placed around a room named "Wine Barrel" and then detonated when the room was full of people for some assassination attempt or something.
Oh my gosh. This is exactly the kind of use I'd love for then! I'll verify that w/ the DM team and see if we can't start using some of our custom models and vfx now to make that sort of use more reasonable (not that you can't tell the difference between normal barrels and explosive ones already, despite them sharing a model).

Done.

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:01 pm

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm
Archnon wrote:
Oh my gosh. This is exactly the kind of use I'd love for then! I'll verify that w/ the DM team and see if we can't start using some of our custom models and vfx now to make that sort of use more reasonable (not that you can't tell the difference between normal barrels and explosive ones already, despite them sharing a model).
That would be amazing honestly, though it might be easily abused. I mean, it isn't a good gnomish wedding unless someone detonates all the blasting gel, killing everyone. Though I think they do use a slightly different model with like a visible warning label on the barrel.

Drogo Gyslain

Post by Drogo Gyslain » Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 pm

Archnon wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:01 pm
Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:48 pm
Archnon wrote:
That would be amazing honestly, though it might be easily abused. I mean, it isn't a good gnomish wedding unless someone detonates all the blasting gel, killing everyone. Though I think they do use a slightly different model with like a visible warning label on the barrel.
Definately need to make sure that the Blast radius is low, say... 3-5m, and that the blasts can't chain together. (Activating 1 doesn't just spark a dozen explosions in a chain.)

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:44 am

Archnon wrote:
I literally did this with the DM-handed out explosives. These Explosive Barrels are a recent addition. I disguised them as casks of aging cognac in plain sight for ages. I don't see this as a bad thing. It's fun!

The ones spawned by DMs are permanent fixtures.

The ones created by PCs - the ones that are just a barrel with a flame texture, so they're even telegraphed - are new, and not permanent.

This is the dichotomy, and I'd imagine it should be normalised to the behaviour of fixtures.
Drogo Gyslain wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:03 pm
Definately need to make sure that the Blast radius is low, say... 3-5m, and that the blasts can't chain together. (Activating 1 doesn't just spark a dozen explosions in a chain.)
Why do you people hate fun?
Though I think they do use a slightly different model with like a visible warning label on the barrel.
the crafted ones are already a visibly different model

Irongron wrote:

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:29 am

I don't have a bug, but I just want to throw my weight behind the well setup kill field of explosives team being incredibly darn cool. I would love to be murdered by cognac. In fact, make all alcohol casks explosive. Make the chairs explosive. Make all gnomes detonate when dropped from more than two feet. I'm all for it.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:41 am

Bump. This remains the case.

Irongron wrote: