Steps to reproduce the Bug:
1. Have Assassin Class with more than 5 levels
2. Use Dead Man's Cross
3. Attack something with damage resistance 10/5 Or any other

Expected Result:
DR is bypassed

Actual Result:
Stoneskin is hit instead
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Dr. B

Re: Assassin Hidden Danger Bonus not working properly

Post by Dr. B » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm

Hidden danger confers an attack bonus, not an enhancement bonus, so this is working as intended.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm

Assassins receive a passive AB bonus when wielding a concealable weapon, equal to +1 AB per five class levels. Small characters treat any Tiny weapon as concealable. Medium or larger characters treat any Small or Tiny weapon as concealable. This bonus does apply to slings if wielded by medium/large creatures. This bonus does not apply to Kama, Katana, Shuriken, or Lances. If the Assassin qualifies for the Specialty Weapons Rogue bonus to the AB property of Rogue Proficiency weapons, the Hidden Danger bonus will not stack - the Assassin bonus will be reduced by the same amount of AB granted by the Rogue bonus. For example 18 assassin 3 rogue 9 swashbuckler would have 21 combined levels for Specialty Weapons and would get +1 enhancement on a +4 dead mans cross making it +5 to beat premonition and would have +3 ab from assassin level 15, but the bonus would be reduced by 1 so the bonus would be +2 ab. That example would still net +3 total but the logic makes it so you can't stack the two bonuses.
From the wiki.

It was working properly until one of the last updates.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:55 pm

also from the nwn wiki:
Thus a creature with 20/+3 damage reduction ignores the first 20 points of damage from any weapon that does not have an enhancement bonus or attack bonus of +3 or greater.
Intelligence is too important

preggy

Post by preggy » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am

Since this is an AB buff which should be applied to the weapon, are you seeing any bonuses on the weapon or any debug text in the chat when equipping the weapon?

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:18 pm

preggy wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:49 am
Since this is an AB buff which should be applied to the weapon, are you seeing any bonuses on the weapon or any debug text in the chat when equipping the weapon?
AB is reflected appropiately in the combat log and the character sheet, the combat log also reflects applying Assassin Hidden Danger Bonuses. It used to work as the wiki says for a long time and pierced Stoneskin, now it does not. I do not remember it ever being in the weapon itself. I will check again in a moment and edit this message if that's changed.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:58 pm

Watchful Glare wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm
Assassins receive a passive AB bonus when wielding a concealable weapon, equal to +1 AB per five class levels. Small characters treat any Tiny weapon as concealable. Medium or larger characters treat any Small or Tiny weapon as concealable. This bonus does apply to slings if wielded by medium/large creatures. This bonus does not apply to Kama, Katana, Shuriken, or Lances. If the Assassin qualifies for the Specialty Weapons Rogue bonus to the AB property of Rogue Proficiency weapons, the Hidden Danger bonus will not stack - the Assassin bonus will be reduced by the same amount of AB granted by the Rogue bonus. For example 18 assassin 3 rogue 9 swashbuckler would have 21 combined levels for Specialty Weapons and would get +1 enhancement on a +4 dead mans cross making it +5 to beat premonition and would have +3 ab from assassin level 15, but the bonus would be reduced by 1 so the bonus would be +2 ab. That example would still net +3 total but the logic makes it so you can't stack the two bonuses.
From the wiki.

Does your assassin have rogue levels? As far as I know Hidden Danger bonus as such does not apply an enhancement bonus. Rather, assassin levels stack with rogue levels for the purposes of granting an enhancement bonus through the Specialty Weapons feat. But this is not a feature of the Hidden Danger feat; it's a feature of the Specialty Weapons feat. If your assassin does not have rogue levels, an extra +1 from Hidden Danger on a +4 weapon should not pierce Premonition. The +1 DR in that example comes from Specialty Weapons, not Hidden Danger.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:23 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:58 pm
Watchful Glare wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:08 pm
From the wiki.

Does your assassin have rogue levels? As far as I know Hidden Danger bonus as such does not apply an enhancement bonus. Rather, assassin levels stack with rogue levels for the purposes of granting an enhancement bonus through the Specialty Weapons feat. But this is not a feature of the Hidden Danger feat; it's a feature of the Specialty Weapons feat. If your assassin does not have rogue levels, an extra +1 from Hidden Danger on a +4 weapon should not pierce Premonition. The +1 DR in that example comes from Specialty Weapons, not Hidden Danger.

Does not have rogue levels. However both are their own separate thing and interact with each other if you possess both rogue levels and assassin levels, for they are not the same bonus. To my knowledge.

Dr. B

Post by Dr. B » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 pm

Edit: I just read Zav's post. If AB is supposed to count towards DR piercing than I stand corrected. But as far as I know the AB from Hidden Danger doesn't apply to your weapon; it just applies directly to your character's attack bonus. That's probably why it's not piercing DR.

Pre-edit:

So, I'm familiar with those wiki entries, but I re-read them for good measure. They do not state that Hidden Danger provides an Enhancement Bonus, only an attack bonus. Specialty weapons, on the other hand, which requires rogue levels, provides an EB. In the examples provided in the wiki articles, the character has 21 levels for the purpose of benefitting from specialty weapons. This confers an additional +1 enhancement bonus, which would stack with the +4 bonus from Dead Man's Cross to pierce premonition. Meanwhile, you're getting +3 AB (not EB) from hidden danger. This doesn't stack with the +1 AB granted from the +1 EB from specialty weapons, so you get an additional +2 from HD. If Hidden Danger granted an EB, then you would have a +7 EB. But it doesn't; hidden Danger grants *only* an attack bonus.

In the example in your original post, your character would get a +1 to AB, that's all, because your character lacks specialty weapons. You would not get a +1EB, so you should not be piercing Premonition. This seems consistent with what is being said in the wiki articles. The articles do not say that Hidden Danger confers an enhancement bonus, only an attack bonus.

If it was conferring an enhancement bonus until recently, that's very surprising to me. I've played an assassin for a long time and never, to my memory, got an EB from Hidden Danger, only an AB bonus.

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:57 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:37 pm
Edit: I just read Zav's post. If AB is supposed to count towards DR piercing than I stand corrected. But as far as I know the AB from Hidden Danger doesn't apply to your weapon; it just applies directly to your character's attack bonus. That's probably why it's not piercing DR.

Pre-edit:

So, I'm familiar with those wiki entries, but I re-read them for good measure. They do not state that Hidden Danger provides an Enhancement Bonus, only an attack bonus. Specialty weapons, on the other hand, which requires rogue levels, provides an EB. In the examples provided in the wiki articles, the character has 21 levels for the purpose of benefitting from specialty weapons. This confers an additional +1 enhancement bonus, which would stack with the +4 bonus from Dead Man's Cross to pierce premonition. Meanwhile, you're getting +3 AB (not EB) from hidden danger. This doesn't stack with the +1 AB granted from the +1 EB from specialty weapons, so you get an additional +2 from HD. If Hidden Danger granted an EB, then you would have a +7 EB. But it doesn't; hidden Danger grants *only* an attack bonus.

In the example in your original post, your character would get a +1 to AB, that's all, because your character lacks specialty weapons. You would not get a +1EB, so you should not be piercing Premonition. This seems consistent with what is being said in the wiki articles. The articles do not say that Hidden Danger confers an enhancement bonus, only an attack bonus.

If it was conferring an enhancement bonus until recently, that's very surprising to me. I've played an assassin for a long time and never, to my memory, got an EB from Hidden Danger, only an AB bonus.
It never granted EB, but it allowed for the weapon to pierce DR (If someone invested deeply in assassin as opposed to a dip, they would be able to pierce Premonition for instance) Working much like specialty weapons did but for assassin.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:06 pm

Dr. B wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm
Hidden danger confers an attack bonus, not an enhancement bonus, so this is working as intended.
This is correct. Hidden Danger is not supposed to stack with weapon enhancement in terms of DR penetration.
If DR penetration is desired, a rogue dip is needed to unlock Specialty Weapon bonuses.