Mobile crash in Skal

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Aeon Xen

Mobile crash in Skal

Post by Aeon Xen » Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:16 pm

Description
==========
Game crashes immediately after leaving Skal to the west towards the abandoned quarry. Happens on both iPhone and iPad. Happens every time without fail. There is no workaround I have found. This makes it so iOS players cannot access half of the Skal content.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Head out through the West exit towards the abandoned mine from SKAL. Game crashes during the loading screen.

Expected result
-----------------------

Actual result
-------------------

Screenshot(s)
--------------------

Misc Notes
----------------
I believe this has something to do with whatever is immediately in front of the entrance to the zone because the game does not crash if I go through the subterranean pools and out through the abandon minds into the zone, but the game does crash if I then start walking towards the same exit to get to Skal. This is not a great workaround because my characters are not strong enough to survive going through the subterranean pools just to get to the abandon mines.

XBox players have told me they are crashing in the same place as well. Please test for these platforms when releasing content.

Which Server(s)?
------------------------
Distant shores

Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------
iPhone and iPad

MalKalz
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Mobile crash in Skal

Post by MalKalz » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:10 am

Platforms and mobile clients have a higher risk of crashing because they are behind in updates that were introduced to resolve crashes. PCs are well ahead and a lot of the issues mobile clients encounter will be solved by changes Beamdog make eventually.

Discord: @malkalz
Determine your Public CD Key here
Can't see your vault? Have you migrated your accounts? If you have tried, and still can't see them, message me.

Aeon Xen

Post by Aeon Xen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:22 am

Spyre wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:10 am
Platforms and mobile clients have a higher risk of crashing because they are behind in updates that were introduced to resolve crashes. PCs are well ahead and a lot of the issues mobile clients encounter will be solved by changes Beamdog make eventually.
I understand that mobile version is behind the PC, but it’s clearly specific content in specific locations that are causing the crashes. Just take out that content until the versions catch up.

I keep hearing this argument over and over, but being a software engineer myself, if I want to support multiple clients, I always have to test on different clients and different versions. Sometimes I have to only use features that are broadly supported. Sometimes I have to detect the client and change based on that. Supporting multiple versions is a solvable problem that has been around for decades.

Why are we not able to do this here?

Sombricimos

Post by Sombricimos » Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:49 am

The UD server has close to no areas that will make you crash. The only one I found was Greyport authority port thing.
So while you're waiting (possibly for ever), you can still have quite a bit of fun in the UD.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:21 am

I think this is the proper thread to report another area which crashes the Mobile client:

This one is on Surface

Brogendenstein (Mountsainside Village)

Aeon Xen

Post by Aeon Xen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 pm

I also get a crash when entering the Weald from Skal but only if I turn right instead of left from the entrance to the area.

Aeon Xen

Post by Aeon Xen » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 pm

Sombricimos wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:49 am
The UD server has close to no areas that will make you crash. The only one I found was Greyport authority port thing.
So while you're waiting (possibly for ever), you can still have quite a bit of fun in the UD.
This is a great suggestion!

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:16 am

Aeon Xen wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:13 pm
I also get a crash when entering the Weald from Skal but only if I turn right instead of left from the entrance to the area.
In that case I think I know exactly the issue.

There is a shrine to the dolphin prince in the weald to the right, and a shrine immediately after the transition to the quarry.

Both use the same model.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:02 pm

I can't guarantee that android or consoles will...ever....be updated, and there is nothing we can do here to hasten that. PC version is now so far ahead, both in terms of graphic resources and engine functionality, our keeping Arelith locked in an extremely outdated version isnt an option. I've no clue whether Beamdog are willing to pay to see all the platforms updated to support PWs, but I do doubt it.

The best we can do is try and isolate the extract missing resource that causes these problems and add them to our HaK.

Aeon Xen

Post by Aeon Xen » Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:28 pm

• Irongron wrote:
    Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:02 pm
    I can't guarantee that android or consoles will...ever....be updated, and there is nothing we can do here to hasten that. PC version is now so far ahead, both in terms of graphic resources and engine functionality, our keeping Arelith locked in an extremely outdated version isnt an option. I've no clue whether Beamdog are willing to pay to see all the platforms updated to support PWs, but I do doubt it.

The best we can do is try and isolate the extract missing resource that causes these problems and add them to our HaK.
Doing at least that would be fantastic. If we can catalog and focus on the game-limiting crashes, like heading west out of Skal, that would at least make it playable.

It’s fine if other crashes continue to exist but don’t lock out major areas of content.

Can we at least add a fast smoke test on mobile when new content is deployed?

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:28 pm

Sombricimos wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:49 am
This is no longer true, the hub now crashes my iPadOS client as well. So much for gaming when traveling 🤥
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.