Ranger Totem

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Whiskey

Ranger Totem

Post by Whiskey » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:47 pm

I rarely use my companion but just did and the ranger totem path is bugged. Companion is no longer a Boar Skin with Bear totem selected. It is now a Bear Skin.

Will go see if the NPC can fix this.... but yea, for the moment, bugged.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Ranger Totem

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:34 pm

Use the bug report template please, it'll help us clarify and/or fix things :)

Glowing Mushroom
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Glowing Mushroom » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:52 pm

That would be working as intended. Totem path on a Ranger changes all summons to the animal of the totem.

If you chose Bear totem, the badger, boar, dire wolf, spider, etc., would now all appear as a bear.
Burin the Earthly.

Whiskey

Post by Whiskey » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:53 pm

nope, when i leveled i chose boar as my companion and bear as my totem which meant my companion skin would be a boar but all the stats as a bear and it had always been that way since i have played him. suddenly its bearskin which is not correct. His name was is Tusk, for the boar tusks and all. Now a bearskin names tusk?? lol nope. not right lol

has always been a boar skin until i reported it. Hence the report
- also has been that way with my past rangers played, not new to the ranger totem option.

So i know on wiki under ranger totem it says.......... The only change that they will experience is that (nearly) all their summons will take the form of their totem animal. (Note that it says Summons, not companion) But it has never done this with me on any rangers i have played since the ranger totem path was created. It's always been........ What ever i chose as my companion when lvling was the skin it always stayed. And when choosing the totem path the stats from that totm went to the companion chosen. Wierder things have happened on arelith so i guess it's possible after these years of playing totem rangers its changed my boar ti a bear?!?! lol.

RedGiant

Post by RedGiant » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:00 pm

Whiskey wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:53 pm
nope, when i leveled i chose boar as my companion and bear as my totem which meant my companion skin would be a boar but all the stats as a bear
Respectfully, this is exactly the opposite of how it works. Choosing bear as a totem will skin any companion you choose as a bear. In other words:

Companion = Stats
Totem = Skin
The GrumpyCat wrote:I CLICK THE HOSTIBLE BUTTON NOW U ARE DED!
Irongron wrote:The slaughter, i am afraid, will not abate.

Whiskey

Post by Whiskey » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:09 pm

lol, well other than you guys telling me how it works and me telling you guys it has never changed my chosen compion form to what I chose as a totem since ranger totems came out..... not much being accomplished here. Telling me over and over isnt going to change the fact than none of my animals have ever change to the chosen totem in X amount of years until today. And that is why i said wierder things haave happened on arelith just odd in ohhh.... how long has ranger totem been a thing now?...... that its decided to work properly for me today?

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:32 am

Are you sure you didn't talk to the NPC for the first time and activate your totem, having played without it until then?

It seems like the most likely answer. If your pet was a boar until now, you didn't have a totem. There isn't a boar totem.

Whiskey

Post by Whiskey » Mon Oct 25, 2021 11:43 pm

This character has been lvl 30 for probably 2 years. I chose totem before he was lvl 30...

Also As I said, i have played several rangers since the Ranger Totem was created. Each ranger I have done the same thing by choosing either a boar in this case, a wolf and Hawk in other cases when lvling and selecting your companion. The moment I gained a companion is the same time i would go talk to the NPC for totem. Each time I selected a bear totem because the way I understood it was what ever animal you selected as your totem, those stats would go to your selected compion. Just the stats not the skin. And I spose what made me believe that was the correct way was my selected companions never once changed to a bear with ANY previous character. So when i chose a hawk as my companion and selected bear as my totem, my hawk stayed a hawk until the day i rolled.
When i selected a wolf on another character as my companion, and bear as my totem, my companion stayed a wolf, not changing to the bear skin. played him that way until i rolled him. 2 or more years ago i made Kose and chose Boar as my companion and as always went and got the bear totem right when i had enough ranger levels to gain a companion. Played him that way until i shelved Kose for a year. Came back, checked my stuff over, still had the item listing that he was a totem ranger. The Boar was still a Boar, and two other rangers actually did get to see the Boar, his name is Tuskin. Mind you I did relevel, and still kept the boar with the same name just had to go back down and retalk to the NPC for totem again. once again selecting Bear. But the relevel was done shortly after I came back from shelfing him....the rangers that met my Boar met him after i relveled and talked to the NPC. So a few weeks goes by i decide to use my companion and bam, there is a bear named Tuskin.

So seeings how this has worked for me where my companions have never turned into the Bear Totem with any of my other three rangers and then changing to a bear recently and still being named Tusking (For the boars tusks), and after teo other rangers had met my boar several weeks after me releveeling and having spoken to the NPC again to reget my totem.... i'm sure you can see why i just figured everyone explained it bass ackwards how totem worked. But i never did bother to check the stats on the boar after slecting bear totem either *Shrugs*

But i'm past it now, just gonna keep the Bear named Tuskin cuz I seriosuly hate releveling.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:51 am

-relevel is a thing you can make use of.

satan

Post by satan » Tue Oct 26, 2021 7:17 am

All totem does is skin whatever companion you have as the animal you choose. If you were seeing a boar it means you didn't take the totem path correctly.
Xyxz - Goblin spider druid. RIP
Flail - Orog weapon master RIP
Krom - Half orc Barbarian RIP
Glyngolyn - Firbolg Shadowdancer RIP
Jigjog - the least industrious Kobold ACTIVE
Muck - munching on carion. ACTIVE

Heroic Spirit
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Heroic Spirit » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:32 pm

To recap:

Totem sets the skin.

Level-up sets the stats.

I'm currently running a totem ranger and it's working properly.

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:44 am

Sounds like it suddenly decided to work. I wonder if mine is working. It's been broken so long on my character that I haven't tried lately. Big news if it's been fixed!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.