Burning hands and Domination

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Slapstick

Burning hands and Domination

Post by Slapstick » Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:59 am

Playing as an Unseelie Warlock, my dominated "animal companion" got burned by a party members burning hands - removing the domination and having the animal try to kill the wizard. Burning hands is supposed to be party friendly.

This mechanical interaction makes it very very hard to RP around. Up until then the wizard was all convinced that my animal friend was friendly and not merely dominated. It's also hard to play around when party friendly spells hits what I'm supposed to be able to rely on as semi-summon.

Not sure if this is "working as intended" but I would very much like to see it changed. Thanks for making the totally aweesome Warlock class. It rocks!

the hour of the orog is upon us

Re: Burning hands and Domination

Post by the hour of the orog is upon us » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:51 pm

E doom is the same way on allied dominations. My friend kept trying to dominate mobs, and I would accidentally click to target the dominated mob with e doom because the model won't let me click enemies past them. Once cast upon, they would undominate and hostile.

Void

Post by Void » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:46 am

Some AOE spells trigger AI hostility. Not sure about warlock spells, but this happens, for example, with cloud of bewilderment. I think wall of fire does the same thing - a summon will try to murder the caster after stepping into one, despite being unaffected by it.

The general idea is to avoid use of anything that is AOE in a party with summons or dominated creatures, or to ensure that you target far away from any area a summon can step into.

Same thing happens with familiars. Many wizars were murdered by their panther familiar at low levels.
Another forum ban, here we go again.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Stinking cloud breaks it, too.

Slapstick

Post by Slapstick » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:30 pm

It's fine that aoe spells that hits dominated creatures turns them hostile. However, Burning Hands should specifically not ever hit anyone on the party.