Spellsword bonus AC from Mage Armor inncorect on WIKI

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

JerrickRafe2

Spellsword bonus AC from Mage Armor inncorect on WIKI

Post by JerrickRafe2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:58 pm

EDITED: It seems the commenter below is correct. The WIKI says majority of levels needs to be SS, but the original posting in the forums says "True Strike & Mage Armor: Existing Spellsword bonuses also apply to the new base class, but characters need 80% or more Spellsword levels."

So, real issue is that one of these needs to be edited to be correct. :)

-------------------------------------ORIGINAL POST BELOW----------------------------------------------

Level 8 Spellsword / 3 Ranger - Base Race Human, Major award race on top of it

Expected behavior, Mage armor gives x2 Ac for total of 8

Current behavior: Only gives four.

Steps to test:
Strip all armor/items from character, starting ac = 15
Cast mage armor
See AC 19

Reference from Spellsword wiki: Mage Armor - At level 8, Mage Armor (spell) gives the spellsword x2 as much AC. At 15, it gives x3 as much. Note that multiclass characters need the majority of their levels in spellsword to receive any bonus. For example, a character with 8 spellsword/4 fighter/4 rogue, would not receive any bonus to mage armor, whereas an 8 spellsword/4 fighter/3 rogue would get the initial double bonus.
Last edited by JerrickRafe2 on Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Spellsword bonus AC from Mage Armor not working

Post by Ping14 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:10 pm

This is expected I think.
8SS/3R = 11 character levels
You only have 72% SS levels
It is expected to have the bonus back at 10SS/3R... when SS is back at 80%

Spellsword should be 80% to have the mage armor changes applied
This can be problematic to 24/3/3 spellsword builds, especially those that takes the 3rd class early since it messes the Mage Armor bonus during levelling. (having an almost worthless = levelling wise, powerspike at 30 when 24ss is achieved)

Threshold levels when wanting to triple multi a spellsword while keeping the mage armor/tenser/true strike bonus:
12SS then take the first class
24SS/3 then take the second class (this is not possible if you want 4ApR though. Since you want that one level with 1BAB to be right at 20, making 20-30 leveling without the mage armor bonus)

Its with this in mind that I think the easier to play SS are pure classed ones or 26/4 ones - but not necessarily the most powerful ones.

JerrickRafe2

Re: Spellsword bonus AC from Mage Armor not working

Post by JerrickRafe2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:57 pm

So, I don't see the comment about 80% of levels needing to be spellswords. From the wiki:

Note that multiclass characters need the majority of their levels in spellsword to receive any bonus. For example, a character with 8 spellsword/4 fighter/4 rogue, would not receive any bonus to mage armor, whereas an 8 spellsword/4 fighter/3 rogue would get the initial double bonus.

You may be thinking of the Shadowshield bonus, from turns to hours: If over 80% of your current character levels are in Spellsword, the duration of Shadow Shield is altered to hours/level

The mage armor bonus is listed as "majority" needing to be SS, hence my having had an expectation that it would work, so it may be as simple as "The wiki needs rewording." :)

I think I'll doublecheck that the info is the same here on the forums, now that I think about it...

JerrickRafe2

Re: Spellsword bonus AC from Mage Armor inncorect on WIKI

Post by JerrickRafe2 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:03 pm

Edited

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:16 pm

SPELL CHANGES:
Blackstaff: Debuff can only be stacked up to 5 times.
Shadow Shield: Duration increases to hours/level for characters with 80% or more class levels in Spellsword.
Tenser's Transformation: Spellsword counts towards the 80% wizard/sorcerer level requirement, but the spell prevents elemental bonus damage and effects on Elemental Strikes and Elemental Maelstroms while active.
True Strike & Mage Armor: Existing Spellsword bonuses also apply to the new base class, but characters need 80% or more Spellsword levels
Its a recent change, and will likely take some time for the Wiki to be edited.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:22 pm

Updated.

Who is the audience for this post?