Oni Metsu no Ha and swashbucklers

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Shiki

Oni Metsu no Ha and swashbucklers

Post by Shiki » Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:21 am

Description
==========
The Oni Metsu no Ha's +1d4 piercing should be +1d4 bludgeoning or +1d4 slashing instead.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
Be a swashbuckler with an int bonus higher than 0. Cry.

Expected result
-----------------------
Have your weapon deal appropriate damage.

Actual result
-------------------
Swashbuckler int bonus overwrites d4 piercing.

Swashbuckler int to damage overwrites the d4 piercing and the weapon should be changed to +1d4 bludgeoning or +1d4 slashing instead.

What it would be if so: 3d4+21str+9int+6spec+1d4pierce+1d8divine+1d6temp, average 54 damage counting the .5s on all dice is what one expects to see, but the int damage from swashbuckler overwrites the d4 piercing, leaving it at 51.5 average damage which is very slightly stronger than a greensteel weapon at a steep crafting cost of a 1/reset material and adamantine. Granted, it comes with a rune.

At +9 int bonus a -twohand command on an MDAM katana is stronger than both of these at 55 average damage with less variance.

The Profaned Decapitator is doing 58 average damage and doesn't have this problem because of the 1d4 bludgeoning on it. An MDAM nodachi does 57 on average with far less variance than the decapitator. This is all probably fine because the decapitator comes keen and runed and everything it does is heavily affected by DR in PVP settings and DI otherwise.

The Oni Metsu no Ha isn't terrible when it gets all of its dice. This appears to be a bug because of the difficulty of procuring the crafting materials for this sword.

Ebonstar

Re: Oni Metsu no Ha and swashbucklers

Post by Ebonstar » Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:09 am

sounds like a feature not a bug
Yes I can sign

Good Character

Re: Oni Metsu no Ha and swashbucklers

Post by Good Character » Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:06 pm

From my experience, it's not a bug. Due to the prevalence of masterly damask weapons, Swashbuckler preemptively intended to avoid making the INT damage the same as the weapon's base type so that the bonus damage from m. damask would still be relevant. However, in doing so it makes bonus damage on weapons like the Goblin Scourge Flail (Swashbuckler overrides the 2 bonus slashing damage IIRC) and Oni Metsu irrelevant.