Rogue Speciality Weapons Change Removed Ranged Bonuses

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Pup

Rogue Speciality Weapons Change Removed Ranged Bonuses

Post by Pup » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:10 am

Per the Wiki,
Specialty Weapons - Assassin, Harper Scout, Invisible Blade, Rogue, Shadowdancer and Zhentarim Operative levels stack with Rogue levels when qualifying for the +1 AB to any finessable weapon at levels 19 and 24. Rogue levels are required for this bonus to trigger. At 19 combined levels, gain +1 AB when using any finessable weapon. At 24 combined levels, gain +1 additional AB when using any finessable weapon. These bonuses add to a weapon's non-magical Attack Bonus and allow Damage Reduction penetration. For example, a +3 AB weapon will become +5, capable of bypassing Stoneskin or Premonition, with 16 rogue 5 shadowdancer and 3 assassin combined levels.
Note: The weapon must be a finesse weapon, please note that there are a number of custom weapon changes including adding finesse to weapons.
I believe the old verbiage had something to do with this bonus applying to all rogue proficiency weapons. While I understand why this improvement to the selection of melee weapons is a good thing, it appears that an inadvertent side effect was that ranged rogues received a significant 2AB nerf.

This bug report serves to stand as a request that we re-add the AB bonus for crossbows, slings, and some thrown weapons.
(I've tested on the PGCC lately, and it does appear that no ranged weapons get the rogue bonus.)

I @'d Kenji to ask their opinion of it, and they told me to open a bug report.