Fey'ri can't make elfblade or elven chain

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Hank Trill

Fey'ri can't make elfblade or elven chain

Post by Hank Trill » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:25 am

Description
==========
Fey'ri are not on the list of accepted elven subraces to make elven chain or elfblades, and probably should be.
Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
As a feyri blacksmith try to craft an elfblade or elven chain.
Expected result
-----------------------
That you can
Actual result
-------------------
You can't
Screenshot(s)
--------------------

Misc Notes
----------------
I believe the simplest manner is simply to put Fey'ri at the bottom of the list provided in the screenshot. And perhaps it's contentious, but I think they should be able to -- unlike drow, they are not exactly a non-elvish race. It is possible that they are intended to be unable, however, so if that's the case ignore this post.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Fey'ri can't make elfblade or elven chain

Post by Shadowy Reality » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:54 am

Where does one draw the line though? Could also argue that Aquatic Elves and Avariel are as much elves as Fey'ri, but they don't seem to be in the list either.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:56 am

yeah, this is one of those things where I'm unsure if it's a 'bug' or 'feature.' Leave this with us. I'll look into lore and such and get back to you.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Hank Trill

Post by Hank Trill » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Shadowy Reality wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:54 am
Where does one draw the line though? Could also argue that Aquatic Elves and Avariel are as much elves as Fey'ri, but they don't seem to be in the list either.
You are absolutely right. I totally forgot about them, and they've been playable for quite a bit longer. If not fey'ri, those two subraces should 100% be able to craft the items.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Kalopsia » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:53 pm

I agree when it comes to Avariel (and possibly Fey'ri, if the lore supports it), but Sea Elves have no tradition with forging and got their own unique craftable pike as a compensation. They shouldn't be able to also create elfblades etc.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:01 pm

Pretty sure that Fey'ri are by most elves considered an evil abomination.

Though... Since Fey'ri are sun elves corrupted with fiendish blood, I would love to see some corrupted version of a Moonblade for them. Lore monkeys will know there are a few evil Elven (non-drow) counterparts to Elven artifacts. The Tel'kiira, for example, has it's Mhaorkiira evil counterpart.

I don't see why the Moonblade can't also be corrupted similarly. I just don't want to see a non-good Fey'ri walking around with a pure, Elven Moonblade as that would very much fly against all the Elven lore on Moonblades

But, I'm happy be corrected with new information that I wasn't aware of. And if Elaine Cunningham herself says it's okay for Fey'ri to use them, then we should probably heed that, as she did create the Moonblade in the first place 😊

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:58 pm

Fey'ri also view themselves as the superior uber-elfs, and tend to find comparisons between themselves and other forms of elves to be a bit offensive.

They've historically tended to prefer to rely on demonic influences/artifacts, or Vyshaanti artifacts/crafts (ancient elven crafts that were influenced in their construction by a fallen solar) - so it'd be neat to see them get their own sort of racial crafts. Maybe something they could share with tieflings in general, so it's not just for one incredibly niche race.

As far as Moonblades are concerned, Fey'ri are of sun elven descent - so it'd be pretty rare (not unheard of) for one to end up in their hands. The moonblade'd also likely reject them wholesale unless it was deliberately corrupted, like the Starym moonblade was. But, then again, Evermeet itself (and likely the moonblades as well) was all just a long-con plot by that same ex-solar (the one who guided the Vyshaanti and gently maneuvered the fey'ri into existence in the first place) to weaken and kill the elven race in the long run.

So who can really say.
what would fred rogers do?

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:46 pm

I must admit, having had feedback from the tream and loremasters - I'm inclined to say that Fey'ri being unable to make elf blades is OK. A feature, not a bug. That said, I'd not be against them getting a craftable item or two at some point.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)