Cleric Path's Shield Proficiency Bugged?

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Kalthariam

Cleric Path's Shield Proficiency Bugged?

Post by Kalthariam » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:00 am

Description:

Game-Wiki states that a healer cleric should be able to wield a small shield without incurring penalties.

Not too long ago Healer Path Clerics had their shield proficiency removed unless they multi-classed, for quite a while I thought this was still the case, as I've never been able to equip any shields and my Cleric is a level 30 Healer Path Cleric.

However I bumped into another Healer path cleric that pointed out to me the wiki now states I should be able to use a small shield, and their newly made Healer Path Cleric has the ability to wield it.

However when I attempt to equip a shield of any size on my Healer Cleric, I get the in game error message stating I do not have the proficiency to equip that item.
==========

Steps to reproduce:

Attempted to Equip a shield on my Healer Path Cleric
----------------------------

Expected result:

The shield is able to be equipped.
-----------------------

Actual result:

Error message stating I do not have the required Proficiency, and the item is not equipped.
-------------------

Which Server(s)?

All servers
------------------------

Gaming Platform(s)?

PC
------------------------------

Good Character

Re: Cleric Path's Shield Proficiency Bugged?

Post by Good Character » Sat Oct 22, 2022 1:27 pm

Path doesn't inherently provide you Shield Proficiency. Rather, it's doing as you mentioned above in case you were to ever obtain the Shield Proficiency feat.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:55 pm

I don't think this is accurate, because I have met pure healer path clerics whom has the proficiency now.

That or it's bugged for new characters. In some way this isn't working quite as intended, as it currently stands my Healer Path cleric cannot equip shields at all at level 30, but fresh healer path clerics seem to be able to.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Kalthariam wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:55 pm
I don't think this is accurate, because I have met pure healer path clerics whom has the proficiency now.

That or it's bugged for new characters. In some way this isn't working quite as intended, as it currently stands my Healer Path cleric cannot equip shields at all at level 30, but fresh healer path clerics seem to be able to.
Have you confirmed if they're picking up the feat on their own as a General feat?

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:06 am

Clerics Innately have shield Prof.

Originally healers lost the ability to use shields during the rework. But now the Wiki states they should be able to equip shields. (Which my healer path clerics is not able to)

The Character I spoke with states they did not eat a general feat for it, and is a pure healer path cleric.

Mattamue
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Mattamue » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:46 am

viewtopic.php?p=286220#p286220

Weapon Proficiency: None
Armor Proficiency: None

wiki already said none for armor heal path, added reminder for wep

Who is the audience for this post?

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:58 am

Then why can freshly made Healer path clerics equip small shields, but my older one cannot?

Also we have weapon proficiencies again, simple only, as we can use magic staves again.

Is this a bug where new Healer path clerics aren't having restrictions properly applied? Or was a change reverted?

That's what I'm trying to figure out.

I did poke at this on the PGCC, and made a cleric got it to pick the healer path token, and had the ability to equip a small shield.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:40 pm

Weapons on Arelith go the 3.5 route and thus can always be equipped, regardless of proficiency. You merely take a harsh AB penalty if you're not proficient, as stated in the SRD:
D&D 3.5 SRD wrote:When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a –4 penalty on attack rolls.
As for shields, I'm not sure if they changed it to be similar to weapons, but I'd think not, since most characters without Shield Proficiency don't seem to be able to equip one.

Kalthariam

Post by Kalthariam » Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:27 am

Well I did a -relevel, as a suggestion by other players, and I can now equip a shield as a pure 30 healer cleric, just like the newer Healer cleric told me they were able to do.

If I am getting any negatives for doing so it doesn't seem to be anything major at all. I am not experiencing any spell failure, and to be frank as a healer cleric weilding a staff of life and a shield, I really don't care about my AB anyways, the 6 AC quite a bit more interest, it's nice being able to break 30 AC.