Disguise not working on player list

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Party in the forest at midnight

Disguise not working on player list

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:28 am

Description:
A character ran past me disguised. I had the playerlist open and noticed that their real name was being displayed on the playerlist instead of their disguise name. There's only 6 people on the server, so it was easy to tell what character it was since the playerlist shows when someone is close to you once they're in your line of sight.

==========

Steps to reproduce:
I asked them a few questions. They changed servers at one point while disguised. But the server reset while I was disguised and my character name showed up to them as my disguise name on the playerlist, so that might not be it. We have no other ideas as to what might have caused it.

As I wrote this, they server transitioned off and on the server again, and when they rejoined the server the playerlist showed their disguise name properly. So we have no idea how to reproduce it, or if this is a weird rare bug.
----------------------------

Expected result:
Disguise name to appear on the playerlist.
-----------------------

Actual result:
Character real name appeared on the playerlist.
-------------------

Which Server(s)?
Guldorand
------------------------

Gaming Platform(s)?
PC
------------------------------

Emoishyo

Re: Disguise not working on player list

Post by Emoishyo » Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:37 pm

Note:
I've noticed that this is a common occurrence and seems to be based upon what name the character had when joining the server. Most people get by this by disguising before changing server, or relogging after disguising to apply it to the playerlist.

Darkstorn42
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Darkstorn42 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:05 pm

I wonder if this is tied to issues sending speedies or images to disguised players?

On Server Hiatus
Izahne Tiller - (Shelved)
Maile Aylomen
Zuulanii Ironblood
Ukyo Kuonji

Rievetel

Post by Rievetel » Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:42 am

I've noticed, whenever you remove your disguise, you need to transition through a doorway or area for the playerlist to update. Same with after applying a new disguise. It will maintain the prior name if you scroll over your character portrait as well until the transition, which I assume is acting like a refresher.

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat Dec 24, 2022 7:35 pm

Rievetel wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 1:42 am
I've noticed, whenever you remove your disguise, you need to transition through a doorway or area for the playerlist to update. Same with after applying a new disguise. It will maintain the prior name if you scroll over your character portrait as well until the transition, which I assume is acting like a refresher.
I don't think it's always worked that way? I've only noticed this issue recently, it's happening a LOT. Not just to myself but others I RP with. And changing areas doesn't seem to always fix it. It's really frustrating.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Sun Dec 25, 2022 11:25 am

This is definitely a thing and I always make sure to change servers after disguise shifting.

Aellowyn
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Aellowyn » Sun Dec 25, 2022 3:16 pm

This happens a lot. I've seen it on other players, unfortunately I can't tell when it's happening to me. :(
Someone did point out my real name was showing, even though I had changed my disguise before transitioning to the server and went through a transition. It was fixed on relogging.

<redacted> Main
<redacted> Drow Alt
<redacted> Slave Alt
<redacted> Elf Alt
<rolled> Barbaric Elf Alt
<redacted> Alts of alts alt

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:47 pm

Is there any way we could have our own name visible on the playerlist to ourselves so we can see what we're displaying as to others? I don't know how hardcoded this is or if this is even possible.