Perma-Silence on Bards

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Gwenneth_Corvain

Perma-Silence on Bards

Post by Gwenneth_Corvain » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:15 am

Bard Balance Adjustments:
Silence:
* The Song Source (Bard):
- * Entering the Silence aura removes the song from all affected by that Bards' song, including the Bard.
- * Exiting the Silence re-applies the song for free, as if newly cast.

I had an instance yesterday where a mob casted silence around my bard. Song was removed as intended, then i crashed while the silence was still up.
When i re-connected the mob had died, but my bard was still under silence effect with the duration "permanent" and no source.

It seems that if the bard does not actively -leave- the zone of silence it can become permanent. In no-rest-dungeons this is a death-sentence for bards. (Resting fixed the issue)

Sincra
Project Lead
Project Lead

Re: Perma-Silence on Bards

Post by Sincra » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:35 am

Interesting, I'll take a look but this may actually be a very very long standing issue only now being encountered as I didn't touch the silence effects
Irongron wrote:I've literally never used -guard on anyone.

Kalopsia
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Perma-Silence on Bards

Post by Kalopsia » Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:16 pm

This is an issue with most area spells. Essentially, what's happening is the game applies the penalties as a permanent effect and removes them via the OnExit script tied to an area spell - an approach that works fine until the player disconnects while inside an AoE.

It's unfortunately an issue that needs to be fixed within every single spell script, so addressing the general problem might take a while. For now, I'll change the Silence debuff to a temporary effect that will automatically fade after a few minutes.