Booted for attempting to remake a PC

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

doglegday

Booted for attempting to remake a PC

Post by doglegday » Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:08 am

While playing my new PC Marlson, I crashed leaving the Speedy Messenger Office in the Temple District.
After restarting NWN, I logged back onto the Cordor and Planes server and selected Marlson from my vault. Upon clicking play I was kicked back to the NWN menu and greeted with the following message:

You have been booted for attempting to remake a PC. While remakes are allowed, as long as this isn't a remake of a 16+ character, you have to wait until next reset. Your character has been preserved in your vault.
==========

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------
I log into the Cities and Planes server using the Player Name "Marlson". I select Marlson from my player vault. I press play.

Expected result
-----------------------
I expect to start playing as Marlson, where I left off in the Temple District.

Actual result
-------------------
I'm instantly booted back to the NWN main menu and I get the pop up: "You have been booted for attempting to remake a PC. While remakes are allowed, as long as this isn't a remake of a 16+ character, you have to wait until next reset. Your character has been preserved in your vault."

Misc Notes
----------------
I was level 5 when I crashed. When I examine Marlson in my vault he's now lv 1 with 0 XP. This was my first time making Marlson. I have never made a PC with this name before.

Which Server(s)?
------------------------
Arelith - Cordor and Planes

Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------
Windows 10 PC.

doglegday

Re: Booted for attempting to remake a PC

Post by doglegday » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:46 am

I think I might have solved what happened.

So right before I made Marlson (Player Name: Marlson) I tried making Marlson using the Player Name "Marl" only to be booted immediately because "Marl" was somebody else's Player Name.

The booting appeared to happen almost immediately and I don't recall even seeing a loading screen, so I assumed that no version of Marlson had been made. Looking back, I think this was where things went wrong.

It's my hypothesis that even though I was using a Player Name registered to a different CDkey, a version of Marlson was briefly created only to be immediately deleted. Because of this prior Marlson, the Marlson I made with a valid Player Name (Marlson) was treated as a remake.