Cannot select Mythrien Sarath as Deity for GoD or Divine Champ

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Amateur Hour

Cannot select Mythrien Sarath as Deity for GoD or Divine Champ

Post by Amateur Hour » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 am

Description
==========
Per the wiki, which is quoted from the DM announcement about this god being added to the game:
No clerics, shamans, favored souls - but divine champions and Gift of the Divine may work.
I would therefore assume that someone with Gift of the Divine, a divine champion, or at least a divine champion with Gift of the Divine should be able to directly worship Mythrien. However, when I tried to make several characters I thought should be capable of doing that, I could only "attune" to Mythrien.

Steps to reproduce
----------------------------

Attempt to Select Deity with Mythrien Sarath.

I have tested the following cases:
  1. NG sun elf - has no divine class levels, no GoD - long-preexisting character (the control group)
  2. CG moon elf - ranger, GoD, fresh out of character creation
  3. CG sun elf - Fighter 7/divine champ 1, GoD, fresh out of character creation (tested using minor award)
  4. CG sun elf - cleric, no GoD, fresh out of character creation
  5. CG moon elf - cleric, GoD, fresh out of character creation
  6. CG wood elf - ranger 3/cleric 1, no GoD, fresh out of character creation (tested using minor award)
All characters were made after Mythrien was added to Arelith.

Expected result
-----------------------

In order:
  1. can't select
  2. can select
  3. can select
  4. can't select
  5. can select
  6. can't select

Actual result
-------------------

In order:
  1. can select (this completely baffled me)
  2. can't select
  3. can't select
  4. can't select (as expected)
  5. can't select
  6. can select if selecting before first cleric level is taken
Final results of the tests: the only characters with any divine flavor that can directly worship Mythrien are non-GoD clerics, as long as their first level isn't cleric. This seems directly counter to the intended functionality.

Screenshot(s)
--------------------

n/a

Misc Notes
----------------

After the above tests, I did Select Deity for my first test case (a character that was created well before this series of tests) and did a relevel to see if they could take cleric levels to become a cleric of Mythrien, which was the case. They were even able to consecrate an altar.

If it is truly intentional that Mythrien be only attunable, not able to be directly worshipped by anyone at all, then I feel it's completely pointless to have him as a deity option since no direct worship by anyone with GoD or cleric levels means he can't have altars (and people can't pray at them) so he has little RP potential. Hanali Celanil - a very standard Seldarine god - has the same aspects and same alignment, so he isn't mechanically useful either.

(Edited 16 Jan 2023 13:20 to add last test case.)

Which Server(s)?
------------------------
All the 'fresh out of character creation' characters were created on [DiS]

Gaming Platform(s)?
------------------------------

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Twohand
General Admin
General Admin

Re: Cannot select Mythrien Sarath as Deity for GoD or Divine Champ

Post by Twohand » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:19 am

Looking at the code, Mythrien Sarath can't be worshiped by divine classes, this includes characters with the Gift of Devotion. Until an actual coder (not me) can take a look at this, you should be able to worship him as a Divine Champion without the Gift.

daimon_d_heart

Re: Cannot select Mythrien Sarath as Deity for GoD or Divine Champ

Post by daimon_d_heart » Tue May 07, 2024 3:08 am

Giving this thread a bump since it looks like there hasn't been any updates to resolve the issue. Though I'm not sure if it's an issue that is meant to be resolved given how several lore books state he has been losing his deity powers due to decline in worship after his ring was stolen by Malar.