Mounted Archery Inconsistencies

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Norsepal

Mounted Archery Inconsistencies

Post by Norsepal » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:18 pm

Description

According to my own tests and the testing of other people, Mounted Archery works sometimes, but doesn't work other times. Some mobs, I am able to kite and shoot while moving, while others I cannot, and it simply does not function at all in PvP situations from what I can see.

I don't think that this is working as intended, and as it stands, it kind of hamstrings horse archery concepts in the cradle.

Steps to reproduce

Try using WASD movement while attacking with a shortbow in PvE and PvP combat while mounted.

Expected result

While moving, shooting should continue, regardless of the target.

Actual result

Against some monsters and all players, you stop shooting as you start moving, requiring you to re-engage in combat. This can range from merely frustrating to something that will get you killed.

Screenshot(s)

None really available, but it is easily reproducible on the test server.

Misc Notes

Which Server(s)?

All

Gaming Platform(s)?

PC

BurntGnome

Re: Mounted Archery Inconsistencies

Post by BurntGnome » Sun Mar 26, 2023 3:36 pm

Can confirm, have tested it extensively. It very sporadically fires off, sometimes entirely fine vs mobs just fine, but then it wont at all vs the same mobs, and very very rarely will work correctly vs players. The average behavior is you screaming attack shouts and not firing at all. Certain angles of your character in relation to the target seem to work better, but not in any way reliably. All ranged weapons exhibit this behavior, with none working any better than the others.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:24 am

I've checked Arelith wiki before i reply your question and pretty sure that it wrote quote "Mounted archery remains unmodified."
In NWN wiki, it wrote quote "The attack penalty for using a bow while mounted is reduced from -4 to -2."

Therefore, based on my understanding if there's no changes to what i always perceive for combat, you don't shoot while you move.
If i understand correctly, you mean to describe that your PC should continue shooting even though you're running, like auto-shooting.
No, it's not possible and shouldn't be happening.

When you shoot, you stand still. When you run, you don't shoot.
This is something that triggers on attack per round thing.
The fact that you continue to shoot while you move, looks like a bug to me.

Correct me if i'm understanding your question wrongly.

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:04 pm

Mounted Archery: No longer gives +2 ab, instead removes Areliths -8 ab penalty for moving while using ranged weapons. This means you can kite enemies with WASD while on horseback without penalty. Longbow and Heavy crossbows still receive their added -8 penalty (-16 without mounted archery). Arelith also uses a very customized Riding system.

Found via Feat Changes: Mounted Archery, Wiki

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Mon May 29, 2023 10:34 pm

Still experiencing this issue, figured I bump it.

Steps to reproduce: Use any ranged weapon, attempt to move and fire against PCs or most mobs
Expected behavior: WASD and kite while shooting
Resulting behavior: Character shouts like attacking, very little if any attacks are launched. Very inconsistent firing, sometimes the same mob will let you shoot it just fine, but then trying to fight that same mob again later, you cant get shots off at all.

BurntGnome

Post by BurntGnome » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:06 pm

With the new cav bow, I would like to bump and bring attention to this still being an issue.

Shadowy Reality
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Shadowy Reality » Thu Oct 26, 2023 11:39 am

Attacks aren't instantaneous in NWN.

If you are out of combat and click something your attack is triggered immediately. However, if you are in combat you often have to wait for a delay, until the new round begins, could it be this your are seeing?

If you shoot from distance (you do your first flurry) and then move for 1 second and then try to shoot again, you won't shoot immediately, you will have to way until the new round begins (rounds are 6 seconds).

It's the same as if you drink a potion and then try to attack right after, you won't attack immediately you will in fact wait 3 seconds for the new round.