Lightly Armored AC Bugs

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tikin

Lightly Armored AC Bugs

Post by Tikin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:32 am

Description
Need to put off then on again armor suit to benefit from full lightly armored AC after a server transition. To be exact I experienced it with a rogue, and the loss was 3 AC (hard to explain, as the rogue levels on the char bring more than 3. I remarked that character was under a greater mage armor (not used to it, perhaps it plays on it), and that once correct AC was set, unequip/reequip armor only changed AC by 3, where base armor AC is 5 –the Rogue Leathers …)

Steps to reproduce
Have a char that is supposed to benefit from lightly armored AC, unequip and reequip armor suit, and then transition thru servers.

Expected result
Keep same AC before and after equipping armor suit, wherever you go.

Actual result
AC changes before and after unequip and reequip armor suit each time you change server

Screenshot(s)
NP

Misc Notes
Happens only on the first time you get to a new server, and logging out isn’t an issue either once the right AC has been set it stays (at least if no reset occurred, haven’t yet tried after server reset).
This was something that before today was fixed with almost any item swap, like taking out sword was enough to reach correct AC. Now you're really forced to put off and on again the armor suit ... I'm afraid of what will happen on a godsave ... For information, things were perfectly fine on my char before the previous bug report (and fix I guess) concerning lightly armored AC a few days ago ...

Which Server(s)?
All

Gaming Platform(s)?
PC

Tikin

Re: Lightly Armored AC Bugs

Post by Tikin » Tue Apr 04, 2023 8:00 pm

Just checked, this issue comes back after a reset, and it has nothing to do with greater mage armor. A potion of cat grace was enough to observe that the AC wasn't moving alongside dex mod. Forced to put off and on again the rogue leathers to benefit from rogue dex AC.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:14 am

I just remarked this:

The bug is happening not only when you transition server actually ... It happens any time your dex bonus changes (beyond basic dex bonus allowed by your armor). Wether up or down. This means you can have an AC stronger or weaker than it should be, depending on the order you swapped gear ...

Examples : toon AC is set to "normal" with a dex bonus of 15. Change gear so that the dex bonus is lower. Toon AC ends being 1 more point than it should be. Put off then on again the rogue leathers, AC is correctly set again. Now you change the gear so that dex bonus is 15 again, and AC is lower than it should be. Need to remove and put on the rogue leathers to have the AC returned to correct.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Mon May 08, 2023 7:48 am

Bump.

I have to bump because once bugged the new way to handle lightly armored AC is detrimental a toon like mine (without the bug it would be a boon but the bug is permanent so ...) to the point I wish we were back to before the "keep dex AC when prone" bonus.

I explain why:

_ On paper keeping your dex to AC when proned is enjoyable. But frankly the game balance is such that more often than not the "prone" lost in AC, counting dex AC or not, will probably change nothing, like your toon is still very safe or in imminent death danger either way.
On the other hand, the perma lost of 3 AC on a godsave is almost certain to mean death penalty if you don't manage to fly away (happened to me recently facing a mob group that used KD but should not manage to kill my char -they had luck with a 20 in KD the first time, then I made the mistake to drink a potion (flatfooted they managed to KD again, meant godsave ... bye bye) . And this bug means you have to always remember to put on and off your amor at every reset and server change.

Frankly, max (reliable) AC is such a critic matter in the game that this bug puts back a full dex rogue like mine back to before all the rogue boons somehow.

I understand that the way the new "lightly armored AC" has been implemented at first probably allowed some toon to exploit it and cheat AC. For my toon it meant reliable and correct AC. We're at a point where I wish we could erase the whole business because puting on and off suit every server every resets every godsave (and having to remember it) is a bit of a fun killer alas.

Thanks for the efforts made. And thanks for really considering rolling back the whole prone AC change if you don't see a way to fix this issue. :heart:

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Mon May 08, 2023 9:35 am

A fix is being compiled for this, but from what I'm reading here and what I've seen in the code, I'm not sure that the behavior is exactly what you're describing. Even before the change, AC was being stripped off and not reapplied on a Godsave, at least looking at the code. The change thus should have been an improvement because at least the AC should remain in place on the armor afterwards, since it's an item property and not an effect.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Mon May 08, 2023 11:43 am

The only thing I'm completely sure about is this:

Before this change, I never had (like since 2 years with the char) to remove off an on an armor to benefit from complete rogue dex bonus to AC. The simple draw of a sword was enough to set correct AC
Now I need to swap armor like all the time.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Mon May 08, 2023 11:56 am

Just noticed a funny thing:

my toon full dex bonus is 15.
Base armor dex bonus accepted 8
My toon benefit from the other 7 because full rogue
But the loss when changing servers or reset or godsave is only 3 ...
I wonder if like the code isn't setting something like semi-permanent when he first check the armor
I mean, like I said, the way it is implemented now you can abuse the system a little bit, by swapping some items after you have set max dex and moving armor ... You then have like 1 more AC than you would have normally ... It is set correct again if you move again the armor.

Weird thing too ... Everything seemed to be like OK on my toon after the new lightly armor AC was implemented but before the first bug report someone made about it ...

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sun May 21, 2023 6:31 am

It's been fixed (on my char at least all works as intended now ;-) )

Thanks a lot! :heart: