Deep Wells - Climbing Spots megathread

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

niar3tir

Deep Wells - Climbing Spots megathread

Post by niar3tir » Sat May 13, 2023 11:08 am

Description
Having made myself at home within the Deep Wells, I took note -and a few screenshot- of those climbing spots that should help the players navigate better, and reach their objective sooner; unfortunately, quite a few are not working, forcing a long march around even to those that came prepared with climbing gear.

As a side note, the message appearing near climbing spots is misleading: it tells the player "this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope", while the right item required to cross is a lasso; the message could use a change.

Steps to reproduce
Area 1:

Area name is: Guldorand (The Deep Wells)
16x16
Interior and underground
Area ResRef: gulddeepwell1
Tileset ResRef: tdx01

The climbing spot should take to an isolated, impossible to reach otherwise area with a chest; it used to work, on a previous character I remember using the lasso without trouble, now even the message indicating there should be a climbing spot disappeared ("this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope").
Tried activating the lasso in a few different spots, nothing.
https://imgur.com/a/4P7fUYX

Area 2:
24x24
Interior and underground
Area ResRef: myth_deepwell
Tilset ResRef: tdm01

There are two climbing spots to bypass a great chasm, to avoid taking the long walk all around the map;
neither side work, both showing the message -"this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope"- when one gets near, but using the lasso has no effect.
https://imgur.com/a/UMYAjxt

Area 3:
24x28
Interior and underground
Area ResRef: ir_dwbwar3
Tilset ResRef: bwr01

One climbing spot that avoids a LONG walkaround across plenty of nasty monsters; would be lovely to be able to just take this shortcut. Same as above, the message appears -"this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope"-, but using the lasso has no effect.
https://imgur.com/a/Ls6AKmG

Area 4:
18x18
Interior and underground
Area ResRef: ir_dwbwar6
Tilset ResRef: bwr01

If you want to avoid devils and go straight for the wyrm; same as above, the message appears -"this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope"-, but using the lasso has no effect.
https://imgur.com/a/KuxQPbS

Expected result
Near the climbing area, use the lasso, reveal the climbing spot and then use the lasso to cross to the other side

Actual result
Using the lasso does nothing, leaving one forced to find another route where possible

Which Server?
Guldorand

Gaming Platform?
Pc

Tikin

Re: Deep Wells - Climbing Spots megathread

Post by Tikin » Sat May 13, 2023 1:01 pm

I used the very first one just a few days ago ... I believe the message only appeared when really close from spot though (wouldn't work outside of the short distance from where message pops).

Haven't tried the other two spots you mention recently.

I have noticed overall a slight change concerning the climb spots in the Deep Wells (perhaps 1 or 2 months ago?) ... Most spots I have been using with lasso (not that many) are less obvious and less "easily" clickable than before. In my experience at least.

niar3tir

Post by niar3tir » Sat May 13, 2023 1:46 pm

Area 1 is still inaccessible for me, tried just now, no pop up message to inform me there should be a climbing spot available, nor anything after trying different spots using the lasso ability (even standing "on top" of the small rock formation).

If more people can try it and confirm it working/not working that would be neat;
it might be its not the climbing spots but different "versions" of lasso (since the introduction of manacles) working strangely.

Tikin

Post by Tikin » Sat May 13, 2023 3:08 pm

Tried the first one again with success.

For reference, I used an old "lightweight Lasso" I crafted

Is it possible that there is a spot or search check?

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Sat May 13, 2023 10:34 pm

I tried all those rope spots a few minutes ago and all were working just fine for me. Not in the live server, so latency wasn't a concern, but I'm not sure if it is even a problem in this case.

Tikin wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 1:01 pm

I have noticed overall a slight change concerning the climb spots in the Deep Wells (perhaps 1 or 2 months ago?) ... Most spots I have been using with lasso (not that many) are less obvious and less "easily" clickable than before. In my experience at least.

There was no update to the rope spots in the Deep Wells in the last eight months.

Tikin wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 3:08 pm

Is it possible that there is a spot or search check?

Yes, there's a spot check. If you see the "this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope" message, then you beat the DC, and if using the rope does nothing, try walking around slowly until you find the spot that triggers the message (it's usually around a stalactite, a rock, or something you could tie a rope to).

niar3tir

Post by niar3tir » Sun May 14, 2023 5:31 pm

If that is how the climbing spots should work, there is indeed something wrong/ at least misleading:
went and checked a second (third for some) time all four spots mentioned;

area 1 works as intended = without beating the proper spot/search dc there is no message, using the lasso gives you the "you can't find any use for the lasso nearby" message . With equipment/scrolls to improve scores, the "this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope" message appears, and using the lasso lets you click on the spots to climb;

area 2 gives you the "this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope" once you approach, no matter if you did beat the spot/search dc or not; if you did not (tried without items to improve scores), then using the lasso has no effect and you get the message "you can't find any use for the lasso nearby", even if you are in the correct spot. To make the climbing spot appear, you need to step back, equip items so you can beat the spot dc, and then use the lasso; in that case it works fine.

area 3 and 4 have the same problem as n°2, giving you the "this appears to be a viable spot to use a climbing rope" as soon as you step near. In both cases the spot dc was higher than area 2 and I could not beat it, so no matter where I stood the lasso gave me the "you can't find any use for the lasso nearby".
But I still got the message there was something, which is what led me to believe they were bugged.
Perhaps I'll bring someone or enchant a full climbing gear set to try and test if they work, but I think they do.

In summary: the bug is apparently NOT in the climbing spots, they work, but in the spot/search checks and corresponding console message:
the message should appear only once the DC is beaten, and you should be able to use the lasso;
right now the message appears in 3 of the places I mentioned no matter if the DC is beaten or not, but those that did not beat the DC will find that the lasso is useless and they will not find any climbing spot.

Dragonovith
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dragonovith » Thu Dec 14, 2023 5:56 pm

The rope spots in the Deep Wells should now be fixed for good.