Disappearing Rune on Crafted Item

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs, Contributors

Reikenbach

Disappearing Rune on Crafted Item

Post by Reikenbach » Wed May 31, 2023 11:09 am

Description
A crafted item (Elven Chain) that has a natural rune appears to have lost said rune. Unlike an item where the rune was consumed, it does not even display a record of the rune having been used - it's just gone entirely. I did not enchant this item, and attempting to enchant it reports probabilities of success that support the fact it does not have a rune.

For full disclosure, I did sell this equipment to another person and they later returned it after deciding on something else. This was when I noticed the rune missing. They attest they never enchanted it either - and the fact the item both has unmodified stats and doesn't mention a rune having been used leads me to believe them on this.

I was told by another player that this can happen rarely with crafted items and that I should submit a bug report.

Steps to reproduce
Uncertain. I did not actually check to see whether it had the rune when initially crafted, so it may have never had one, or it may have lost it at some point between then and now.

Expected result
The item displays an available rune, or specifies that its rune has already been used.

Actual result
The item does not indicate that it has or ever had a rune on it. Despite this, the name is still blue, as though it had an available rune.

Screenshot

Edit: Clarified that in addition to not having a rune, the equipment has an unmodified list of qualities, further supporting the idea that the rune just vanished rather than getting used.