Empty runic chests (soloing)

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Tarkus the dog

Empty runic chests (soloing)

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:05 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
Often times when soloing the runic chest yields no rune, only gold. Usually this happens on the first dungeon you go to for the day. if you go to the next one then you'll get the rune (sometimes).

Steps to reproduce the Bug:

Open a runic chest alone.

Expected Result:

Get your reward ( runic components ).

Actual Result:

Get only gold.

Screenshot(s)
(You can either add screenshots by uploading them to imgur, or by uploading them to Discord and put the respective links between Image)

Additional Information/Notes

Spellsword, familiar opens the chest. That's it. Please look into this, there's clearly something wonky going on.

-XXX-

Re: Empty runic chests (soloing)

Post by -XXX- » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:01 pm

I don't think this is a bug. There are timers in place for runic chests, so it's actually possible that either:

• you looted the chest too early after a reset took place
  • your character or a party member looted a runic chest too recently before that one
  • somebody else looted that shrine not long before you did

Jeefer

Post by Jeefer » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:11 pm

I don't think anyone would leave gold coin behind looting those. I've had this issue long after the room resets as well.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 pm

-XXX- wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:01 pm

I don't think this is a bug. There are timers in place for runic chests, so it's actually possible that either:

• you looted the chest too early after a reset took place
  • your character or a party member looted a runic chest too recently before that one
  • somebody else looted that shrine not long before you did

The first isn't too likely because I do one rune solo daily in the evening ( sometimes once every two days ), hours after being last online - or first thing in the morning. In the most unlikely places for people to visit as well, rotating between them ( since first time it's usually a dud ) only to constantly find empty chests with only gold in them. This never happens when I'm in a group, only when soloing, and like Jeefer said I don't see why people would leave gold behind in the chests. I assume it' everyone clicks on it by reflex ( you're clicking on the runic after all ).

As for the rune timers, what are they exactly and is there a place to learn more about them? Furthermore, I think I'll quit doing this content altogether ( at least while solo ) seeing as you're not guaranteed a reward. If a developer could verity if this is an intended feature or something that's worth looking into that would be appreciated.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:17 am

These're very sensitive -find out in game- information about these runic chest and often will avoid discussing this over the forum.
Just that, it's working perfectly fine as intended.

The part about finding out in game, often times are not truly from conversations but also from your own personal experience.
It's purposely kept vague and what we know now, might not be the same in the future.

Azensor

Post by Azensor » Sat Oct 14, 2023 2:43 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 pm

-snip-

Bump it from once a day to once every three. Some runics have wonky respawn times for loot.
Also, might be worth trying other runic dungeons out.

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:25 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:02 pm

like Jeefer said I don't see why people would leave gold behind in the chests.

The runic chests respawn/refresh like any other regular chest so whenever you open a runic chest that's on a timer, that's what you find - just gold.

TatteredFates

Post by TatteredFates » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:37 am

PowerWord Rage wrote:
Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:17 am

These're very sensitive -find out in game- information about these runic chest and often will avoid discussing this over the forum.
Just that, it's working perfectly fine as intended.

The part about finding out in game, often times are not truly from conversations but also from your own personal experience.
It's purposely kept vague and what we know now, might not be the same in the future.

does Abzazurr portal lens the runics out at the last moment? How do you find out in game about this?

Cataclysm of Iron

Post by Cataclysm of Iron » Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:40 am

I think (and hope) it's less FOIG in the sense of "there is a narrative IG reason which can be learned or deduced as to how the chests work" and more "there is not meant to be certainty in runic dungeons".

Xerah wrote: People have a very weird possessive nature over a lot of things in Arelith.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:21 pm

Hello.

This bug is still occurring.

I just opened the Needle Chamber key ( used all the keys, so NOBODY was here recently ) and both chests were empty. The gold was there. This is pretty demotivating and unfair.

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Thu Nov 09, 2023 3:18 am

I firmly believe that this isn't a bug.
And i'm pretty sure that if i were to make the Runic mechanic public (from my own observation), DM will delete the post immediately.

For clarity purpose, perhaps DM teams and Admins can sort of clarify, at least to say if this is a bug or intended.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:31 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:21 pm

Hello.

This bug is still occurring.

I just opened the Needle Chamber key ( used all the keys, so NOBODY was here recently ) and both chests were empty. The gold was there. This is pretty demotivating and unfair.

This is not a bug, but it has nothing to do with IG narratives either so there is no reason for it to be FOIG, I think.

Here's the thing. There is a script in place to prevent players from "farming" by sweeping the server like termites, emptying runic chests one after the next. Meaning: When you open a runic chest on your character, a timer is set for you and your party members so that each runic chest you pop open until the timer expires will not contain any kind of runics. That way even if you keep clearing dungeons within the timer, you will not get another chance at a runic drop.

It used to be that this measure only applied to party members, so what people commonly did was dissolve the party, open the chest, then move to the next dungeon and do the same but having someone else from the group open the next chest, etc. To my knowledge this has also been fixed somehow, so that even if you dissolve the party before openning the chest, characters that are present when you do will be registered to the "timer script" even if they are not in your party at the moment of opening.

I am not sure what happens if you finish a dungeon which has been cleared a few minutes before by another group, and you find the runic chest to be empty because other people looted it recently. Do you get registered to the timer script then? It is a mystery. Anyway I hope this helps

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:42 am

I feel like I'm the insane person here for asking for a reward after completing a dungeon once in two days.

What I've gotten from everybody that has replied so far:

-The secret is well known, but for some reason nobody wants to talk about it ( except for Nurel, kudos )
-If I do a dungeon while I have not done a dungeon in days and I get 0 runic materials but I do get the gold, it's just how it's supposed to work ( not a bug )
-The Needle Chamber treasury, which requires FOUR KEYS to open and it has TWO RUNIC chests as a result, but you can only get ONE rune because of the timer system- and this is exactly how the developers have intended it to work ( again, not a bug )
-Even though absolutely nobody has visited the dungeon since the server reset ( again, you need FOUR KEYS to open the DUNGEON, the dungeon is LOCKED AND INACCESSIBLE without the keys ( inaccessible means one cannot enter ) ) it's important to remember that it's possible that somebody could have somehow recently entered and cleared the dungeon
-Because people leave the party before looting the chest to sweep the server of runic materials, the solo player will very often find 0 runic materials as a result and this is indeed is intended by the developers ( again, not a bug )

Correct me if I misunderstood the information I was given so far.

Last edited by Tarkus the dog on Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:52 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:42 am

I'd dismiss it as a streak of bad luck. I don't know what more there is to say about it.

Truth is nobody actually knows exactly how the script works, except for the devs themselves. I would direct this to the Dev Team privately, with more detailed info as to when, where and how you moved and what you killed and exactly what happened, if you wish to have it looked over with a more hands on server-side approach.

This is the player's forum and a such we can only tell you what players can tell you :o

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:14 am

your runic timer variable might be stuck tbh

think it's stored in the database. MalKalz would know more maybe

PowerWord Rage

Post by PowerWord Rage » Thu Nov 09, 2023 11:30 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:42 am

I feel like I'm the insane person here for asking for a reward after completing a dungeon once in two days.

What I've gotten from everybody that has replied so far:

-The secret is well known, but for some reason nobody wants to talk about it ( except for Nurel, kudos )
-If I do a dungeon while I have not done a dungeon in days and I get 0 runic materials but I do get the gold, it's just how it's supposed to work ( not a bug )
-The Needle Chamber treasury, which requires FOUR KEYS to open and it has TWO RUNIC chests as a result, but you can only get ONE rune because of the timer system- and this is exactly how the developers have intended it to work ( again, not a bug )
-Even though absolutely nobody has visited the dungeon since the server reset ( again, you need FOUR KEYS to open the DUNGEON, the dungeon is LOCKED AND INACCESSIBLE without the keys ( inaccessible means one cannot enter ) ) it's important to remember that it's possible that somebody could have somehow recently entered and cleared the dungeon
-Because people leave the party before looting the chest to sweep the server of runic materials, the solo player will very often find 0 runic materials as a result and this is indeed is intended by the developers ( again, not a bug )

It's not that no one wants to talk about it but there were once a post that wrote very detailed information about it but was deleted within a short few hours after it was posted.

And leaving party before opening Runic chest in an epic dungeon is actually a breach of rule.
I've once been warned by DM about it.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:31 pm

alright, if it's working as intended and the timer is more complicated than I thought then I'll just focus on doing something else. My understanding of the runic system was a straightforward > you enter a dungeon, you get the runic at the end, but if it's more complicated than that then I'll do different content.

And leaving party before opening Runic chest in an epic dungeon is actually a breach of rule.
I've once been warned by DM about it.

I've seen people do it and get the runic anyway, so that's another reason I'm confused by the system.

Definately Not A Mimic

Post by Definately Not A Mimic » Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:41 pm

To add to your list I once heard that after resets it is not certain that the runic chests will get a rune added in immediately. That they will randomly be filled as time ticks on BECAUSE at one time it was a thing people immediately after reset flooded all the runic dungeons.

Now, that was a long time ago and I've no idea if such a thing is still even relevant.