Incorrect Dispel DC's - Scrolls

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Yvesza

Incorrect Dispel DC's - Scrolls

Post by Yvesza » Thu Nov 23, 2023 7:21 pm

Description
I'd recently noticed that regeneration when cast from a scroll as a loremaster was being dispelled unusually often in comparison to other spells. Even going so far as to having a disjunction gem (CL17) dispelling the spell (Which should be impossible, given the DC to dispel any mundane scrolls should be 42, which is beyond the max dispel roll of a gem which reaches a max of 37)

I took to the PGCC to investigate and it's casting at CL:17 (To dispel) instead of what should be a correct CL:30 for a mundane using a scroll. (Note, this is purely for the dispel roll and not the actual effect of the spell. The scrolls are working normally otherwise)

I then wanted to test to see if the bug applied to any other scrolls, which it seems to. This isn't an exhaustive list of the broken ones, just the ones I've found so far!

The following scrolls appear to use the wrong DC's

• Regenerate
  • Bigby's Clenched Fist
  • Bless Weapon (This uses the wrong DC for dispels, but is immune to actually being dispelled so it doesn't matter)

I'd guess following the logic from the two spells above, the following spells are likely also bugged when cast from a scroll

• Monstrous Regeneration
  • Hell Inferno

Steps to reproduce
Use a scroll of Regeneration, or Bigby's Clenched Fist on a target. Proceed to attempt to dispel them.

Expected result
The spell should count as if cast by a level 30 for the sake of dispels (When used from a scroll as a level 30 mundane).

Actual result
The spell is counting as if cast by the level of the scroll + LM levels and is exceptionally easy to dispel as a result.

Screenshot(s)
https://imgur.com/a/pXwIioC

Misc Notes
I'm not sure how many other spells are using incorrect dispel values when used from a scroll, these are the only two I could immediately find. I'll update this if I find any others.
All tests were made as a level 30 mundane with 4 Loremaster levels. No caster classes were involved in these tests.

Which Server(s)?
C&P
PGCC

Gaming Platform(s)?
PC