Wild mage self-polymorph wild surge strips epic mage armor

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Troutsworth

Wild mage self-polymorph wild surge strips epic mage armor

Post by Troutsworth » Sun Jan 14, 2024 5:00 pm

Description of Bug Experienced:
While doing a dungeon, I noticed that my Epic Mage Armor was regularly being stripped from me at seemingly random intervals. I needed to re-apply it three times across the approximate hour of going through the Deep Wells. I noted it was only happening on my Wild Mage, did some testing on PGCC to find out what was causing it, and found that it was stripped when a Wild Surge polymorphed me. No other AC sources were stripped when this happened, only Epic Mage Armor.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Cast Epic Mage Armor on self, then produce a surge that polymorphs the caster.

Expected Result:
Epic Mage Armor remains on the caster along with the other AC sources.

Actual Result:
Epic Mage Armor is stripped from the caster upon polymorphing.

Additional Information/Notes
I spoke with Kroatius on Discord who informed me that EMA is intentionally stripped from a polymorphed caster to counteract becoming too powerful using the Shapechange spell. This is understandable, however Wild Mages are regularly polymorphed savelessly against their will on cantrips, and end up spending a lot of components on the process even with Chaos Shield (Polymorph Wolf is on a 53, and Chaos Shield only adds a 45 to the roll).

Further, during testing, I found that the effects of Baleful Polymorph also strip the victim of Epic Mage Armor, making using this spell to fish for nat 1's against an EMA user exceptionally powerful if it should land.