Spell with SR: No were immuned

Bugs with Arelith (in-game and out) should be reported here.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators, Contributors

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Spell with SR: No were immuned

Post by Sandrow » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:11 am

Description of Bug Experienced:
(please include information of what you did, that lead up to the bug, what you expected to happen there, and what actually happened, then move on to describe below:)
Greater Chromatic Orb, as described in wike and in game as below, were unexpectly immnued by Admantine Golem.

Code: Select all

Spell Level(s): Cleric(Chaos) 7, Elementalist 4, Sorcerer 4, Spellsword 4, Warlock 4, Wizard 4
Innate Level: 4
School: Evocation
Descriptor(s): Fire, Acid, Cold, Sonic, Electrical
Component(s): Verbal, Somatic
Range: Medium (20 meters)
Area of Effect / Target: Single
Duration: Instantaneous
Additional Counter Spells: None
Save(s): Fortitude
Spell Resistance: No

Description: An elemental orb launches from the caster's palm towards its target. The caster must succeed on a ranged touch attack to hit. Enemies struck take 1d6 elemental (based on the type of element: Acid, Fire, Cold, Electric, Sonic) damage per caster level (up to a maximum of 15d6).

The target is given a fortitude save. If they fail the save, they suffer an additional effect based on the element used and take full damage. If they pass the save, there is no additional effect and they only take half damage.

Acid: Blinded for 1 round
Cold: -10% Movement Speed for 2 rounds
Fire: -2 to all attack rolls for 2 rounds
Electrical: Stunned for 1 round
Sonic: Deafened and dazed for 1 round.

Steps to reproduce the Bug:
Summon a admantine golem in PGCC and cast Greater Chromatic Orb on it. Scroll, wands or though spellbook, it would be immuned.

Expected Result:
Greater Chromatic Orb deals damge properly since it ignores SR.

Actual Result:
Greater Chromatic Orb were immnued by admantine golem.

Additional Information/Notes

Fenran
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Spell with SR: No were immuned

Post by Fenran » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:43 am

I'm pretty sure immunity checks are separate from spell resistance checks... same kinds of interactions with Globe of Invulnerability and SR.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Sat Jan 20, 2024 6:02 am

Fenran wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:43 am

I'm pretty sure immunity checks are separate from spell resistance checks... same kinds of interactions with Globe of Invulnerability and SR.

I test greater thunderclap on PGCC, which is also a 'SR: NO' spell, and that spell successfully caused three saves on Admantine Golem. Do you mean there are different mechanisms between the two different 'SR:NO' ?

Fenran
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Fenran » Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:27 pm

It could be related to spell level. Adamantine Golems might be immune to spells up to X levels.

Sandrow
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Sandrow » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:13 am

Fenran wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 3:27 pm

It could be related to spell level. Adamantine Golems might be immune to spells up to X levels.

Let me clarify the situation once again. The admantine golem, as described in NWN wiki, is immune to all spells of level 9 or lower.

Code: Select all

An adamantine golem has the usual construct immunities to critical hits, death magic, disease, level drain, ability drain, mind-affecting spells, paralysis, poison, and sneak attacks. It is furthermore immune to all spells of level 9 or lower.

In both DND 3.5E and nwn, spells with spell resistance : no will influence creatures with spell immunity. For example, the spell Crumble, and acid fog, are commonly used against golems.

Fenran
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Fenran » Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:45 am

Not all the mobs we use on the module are the exact same as in the base game. Some are the same, others are different, and then there are still some things that are overlooked!

But let me show you what I mean by differences between SR and Spell Immunity:

https://nwn.fandom.com/wiki/Spell_resistance

...a spell resistance check actually involves three defenses. The defenses in the order they are checked are spell level absorption (mantles), spell immunity, then spell resistance...

That is to say, if a monster is spell immune then an SR check is not supposed to happen in the first place.

The only perceivable reason I can think of, based on the wiki, that might be causing the whole "saves are triggering" thing is the quote below:

...Furthermore, spell resistance is usually limited to standard spells, as other abilities usually bypass these defenses, even if the script attempts to test them (the relevant command returns "invalid")...

I don't really know the code work that goes behind these spells, especially with custom/new spells, but if we're just basing it on the standard way things are supposed to work from the base game, and we assume the adamantine golem is indeed immune to level 9 and below, then SR checks aren't even supposed to happen because Spell Immunity would have already registered beforehand, making their status as an "SR: No" spell irrelevant.

I could very well be missing key pieces of information that a dev could better weigh in on, but I think the logic on the spells not working on the golem is still sound and not a bug.

Edit: As a caveat, Spell Immunity checks are called by SR checks (or at least the wiki says they are), so if the spells aren't supposed to call checks then maybe it is a bug? It really depends on how the engine handles the argument.