Purely Build Mechanic Question

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

taoofbalance

Purely Build Mechanic Question

Post by taoofbalance » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:32 am

I have a character I am playing just hit level 6. The plan is to be Rogue/Fighter.

Don't want' to post the entire build here. But, anyone willing to take a look let me know and I'll shoot you a PM. As he is level 6, certain things are in stone.

But, I am wondering if Rogue/Fighter is viable for the long run. Or will I be gimped by not going the Rogue/Fighter/WM route?

I will say that though the plan is to use all weapons for flavor, he will be focused on duel wielding short swords.

Level Spread was something like 20 Rogue/10 Fighter.

With it being 13 Rogue/7 Fighter pre-epic.

The Build does get Epic Dodge at level 30.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

Valo65

Re: Purely Build Mechanic Question

Post by Valo65 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:40 am

I'm generally decent with builds, though I have little first-hand experience with builds in the level 20-30 range (as in, actually using them, but I can make ones that seem good no problem, and have a lot of experience in the level 40 range).

Rogue/Fighter is viable, Rogue/Fighter/Weapon Master is also perfectly good, but not inherently better.

Epic Dodge makes you extremely powerful.

13 Rogue/7 Fighter pre-epic isn't exactly making the most of your pre-epic BAB, I would recommend 12 rogue/8 fighter.

Shortswords are fine, but if that aspect of your build isn't crucial and you decide on being a weapon master, I would recommend using Kukris or hand-axes.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:16 am

Shoot me the build thus far in a PM and we can see what's up.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:00 am

These sorts of builds depend less on what # of what you take, and more so how you invest skill points, feats, and your gear composition.

You can have two 15 rog/15 fighters standing side by side, and one can be extremely more effective than the other.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:28 am

You cant do anything wrong with Rogue/Fighter.

I played a dex fox halfling rogue. Found that after a certain ammount of rogue levels it does not matter what weapon you have if you are a dexer. You can backstab for a lethal dose of damage even with a dagger. One-on-one, though rogues and dexers in general wont do much damage. (unless of course kukri and mix in WM-s)
How you imagine your toon? Backstabber or you want to have him to be effective when he cannot sneak-damage?

taoofbalance

Post by taoofbalance » Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:18 pm

Why is Kukri so great? Just because of the crit range?

The reason I ask, is because I have a friend that has a near epic rogue/fighter, but has been having difficulties lately. Though, I will be going for Epic Dodge where as he did not plan for it.

Still, from a pure mechanical stand-point. Would adding WM really make the character that much more powerful, able to dish out the damage at Epic?

Truthfully. I want the best of both worlds. Greedy, I know. But, I'd like to be able to pop out from stealth and get the sneak-attack off, and, failing that I'd like to be able to stand toe to toe at least for a little bit while PVE. PVP would also be nice...but this is a primarily DEX build, with Int as a secondary cause I love me some juicy skills, and then following up with Str. Cha is a dump stat...and Wis, not sure about.

Edit: If need be I can always remake the character too. He is only level 6. Still early enough where it wont cause a significant drop in the RP.
"Typical larval god fetus..."-Patrick Rothfuss.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:37 pm

taoofbalance wrote:Why is Kukri so great? Just because of the crit range?
It's the only wide crit range weapon that can be wielded with minimal penalties by medium races.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:24 pm

Problem for Kukri is that it is exotic requiring another feat. If going WM every preepic feat is important. Add in that you need Weapon Finesse and your looking at a starved charater. On top if that they are tiny weapons putting you at serious risk, coupled with lower discipline from being dex based, for being disarmed.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Adding WM would highly increase your damage. Especially that bladed weapons start with a good crit range, going dual wielding them.
The point above however is important. Unless ranger levels in the mix, you'll need +3 feats aside the WM necessities to properly dual wield weapons.
+1 for exotic +1 for finesse. But you can always pick small axes, they are decent.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 pm

So the thing I noticed about your build is that you're going 20 into rogue. Assuming you're going finesse for the ambi feats w/dual wielding, and not STR, while weaponmaster levels -will- increase your max DPS, since you aren't str-based you really aren't adding that much.

Your thing is sneak attack damage. And that's a good thing, because you've got 10d6 of it on every attack.

But sneak damage isn't multiplied by criticals.

Assuming some magical gear and a bull's str potion, we'll say your str hovers somewhere around the +5 benchmark at epic level.

With a shortsword and weaponmaster levels, you'll go from 1d6+5 damage to 3d6+15 damage.... with +10d6 to your damage either way, as long as you sneak attack.

Handaxes would make that 4d6+20 damage... which is worth looking at twice. But if you stack keen, improved crit, and your WM bonus that leaves you with 16-20, which is a 25% chance. Which means you'll proc that extra damage an average of once per round, or 5 times every 4 rounds assuming you have 4 base attacks and haste. (As an epic weapon master, if you're critting something for 4 rounds and not killing it, you've done it wrong).

It seems to me like if you want your thing to be Rogue/Fighter, you can easily get away with doing just that. WM is nice, but I think you'll benefit significantly more by going 20/10, rather than giving up sneak damage (which you will consistently ensure with IKD) or bonus fighter feats.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002