Property Bidding

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Blood on my Lips

Property Bidding

Post by Blood on my Lips » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 pm

I'm just wondering if this function is actually working. A shop in the Cordor Mercantile was vacated. The shop sign said that the property had been vacated and would go up for sale soon. At that time, I saw no way to place a bid on the property.

Now, a few hours later, the shop has a new owner.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Property Bidding

Post by Skibbles » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:46 pm

I won a property a few days ago, it took a few days, so I assume it is working. Maybe it doesn't apply to certain shops/locations?

Seems odd. Might need to be a bug report. Maybe you can find the new owner and shoot them a whisper asking if they had to bid for it or not to narrow down the issue.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:32 pm
I'm just wondering if this function is actually working. A shop in the Cordor Mercantile was vacated. The shop sign said that the property had been vacated and would go up for sale soon. At that time, I saw no way to place a bid on the property.

Now, a few hours later, the shop has a new owner.
Previously any property under 20k was not part of the bidding system. Ive changed this for shops above 5k will be part of it, but quarters remain at 20k and above.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:46 pm

Is the result the same whether you put it up for sale, abandon it or just plain let it run out of time to refresh ?

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:12 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:35 pm

Previously any property under 20k was not part of the bidding system. Ive changed this for shops above 5k will be part of it, but quarters remain at 20k and above.
It was one of the more expensive shops in the Cordor mercantile.

Blood on my Lips

Post by Blood on my Lips » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 pm

I just talked to the player that now owns the shop. The shop's price was 25k. No bidding took place. It went up for sale, after 2-3 RL days of "This shop has been vacated and will go up for sale soon".

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:51 am

That's why I was asking what the mechanics were...being in a settlement was the shop up for sale,abandoned or time lapsed. Did the settlement leader evict the old owner (does it go on sale straight away by them doing that). And yes I can confirm what you were saying. It went from "will be available for sale soon" without any chance to bid to sold shortly after. Does the system just operate if the existing player puts it on sale or if they abandon or time lapse too.

TheEssence

Post by TheEssence » Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 am

There are a few odd things.
I'm pretty sure it didn't remove all my bids when I won one (I had 3 quarters at some point after spamming every for sale sign)
And the shop pointed out in this thread looked like a case 'per se'.
I don't know the scripting code, but I think the shop was freed up as a result of eviction after the owner was pariahed IC, so maybe something didn't trigger properly?
For sure the 'will be available soon' message was up for far longer I've seen anywhere else.

Btw amazing job on this new system!

Adora Ashallin - Back to mainland (Rolled)
Farnese Vannucci - Left the island (Rolled)
Akari Steelcold - Back to Kozakura (Rolled)
Elderith Ashalley - Serving in Celestia (Rolled)

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Blood on my Lips wrote:
Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:41 pm
I just talked to the player that now owns the shop. The shop's price was 25k. No bidding took place. It went up for sale, after 2-3 RL days of "This shop has been vacated and will go up for sale soon".
Yeah I believe this instance was before I did the shop change a few days back. But will keep an eye on this.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm

TheEssence wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:23 am
There are a few odd things.
I'm pretty sure it didn't remove all my bids when I won one (I had 3 quarters at some point after spamming every for sale sign)
And the shop pointed out in this thread looked like a case 'per se'.
I don't know the scripting code, but I think the shop was freed up as a result of eviction after the owner was pariahed IC, so maybe something didn't trigger properly?
For sure the 'will be available soon' message was up for far longer I've seen anywhere else.

Btw amazing job on this new system!
Seems to be a bug then, if you won a quarter it should remove you from the others. Be a doll and put them up for sale.

Also, clearly, some corner-cases here with quarters being abandoned, vacated etc. Will try and iron them out in the coming days.

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:36 am

At the moment there are 3 shops in cordor that say they have been vacated but there isn't an option to place a bid on them. It just says this shop has been vacated and will be up for sale soon. It looks like they are not allowing bidding then just after a random time are available to just be bought outright, is this intended due to being an eviction in a settlement or are all the shops supposed to go into the bidding cycle ?

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:03 pm

Say, if you have a quarter and your character wants to move to a different town or to a better quarter, can you bid on quarters while having a quarter, without losing that quarter you have, UNLESS you win another quarter and only then lose your previous one automatically? And if not, how does it work instead?
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 pm

AstralUniverse wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:03 pm
Say, if you have a quarter and your character wants to move to a different town or to a better quarter, can you bid on quarters while having a quarter, without losing that quarter you have, UNLESS you win another quarter and only then lose your previous one automatically? And if not, how does it work instead?
You can bid on another quarter while having one. Though you'd have to manually set your old one to abandon if you win a new quarter. Obviously one need some time to move over their stuff, I think the DM ruling here is 1 week tops. And I'm sure DMs will notify you if you do not comply with this.

So basically: Win quarter bidding, move your stuff over to the new quarter, abandon your old quarter. Do this within at least 1 RL week.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 pm

Woper_The_Black wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:36 am
At the moment there are 3 shops in cordor that say they have been vacated but there isn't an option to place a bid on them. It just says this shop has been vacated and will be up for sale soon. It looks like they are not allowing bidding then just after a random time are available to just be bought outright, is this intended due to being an eviction in a settlement or are all the shops supposed to go into the bidding cycle ?
Fixed this corner-case. Fix in pipeline.

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:27 pm

ActionReplay wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:15 pm
Do this within at least 1 RL week.
Very concerning. I'm concerned that people will just, after enough time has passed and they see others do it, just use this bandage to hold 2 quarters for a week at a time. Week is long time. And since people dont know when the auction is over, and win the bid while offline, less than one week would have it's problems too. But it's still concerning. Anyway, thanks for your response.
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Nitro

Post by Nitro » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:03 pm

1 week is very generous. Historically the ruling has been 24hrs to clear out and put your old quarter up for sale if you get a new one.

ActionReplay
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by ActionReplay » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:24 pm

Nitro wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:03 pm
1 week is very generous. Historically the ruling has been 24hrs to clear out and put your old quarter up for sale if you get a new one.
I mean I could be wrong. That was just what sprung to my mind as something I recalled. Better a DM clarify this.

Farlius

Post by Farlius » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:47 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:08 pm
At present if we notice someone owning multiple quarters, what we generally do is wait until we see them logged in, remind them of the rules, and ask them to release a quarter within 24 hours...
...So if you're 'moving house' don't worry about taking a little while to shift things about. Just try and get everything sorted within an hour or two and you'll be fine.
Quoted for Clarity! (Loving now not having to stand near a sign for days on end btw)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:58 pm

Generally we'd say about one day. If for whatever reason you need a little longer you can contact us and we can maybe sort out an exception (If the reason is very good.)

'But what if I win property whilst I'm logged off for a day or so! I could own two properties for several days and not know! What then?!'

If you show up as owning two properties, we'll check to see if you've logged on after the second has become yours. If you have - and still own two properties - we may remove one of those properties.

'But what if I log on and don't realize I've won the second property!'
Well then you didn't want it that much, did you?

In short - if you've not been on to release your primary home then you're probably fine. But if you have bid on other properties, do check regularly to see if you've won eh?
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:30 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:58 pm
Generally we'd say about one day. If for whatever reason you need a little longer you can contact us and we can maybe sort out an exception (If the reason is very good.)

'But what if I win property whilst I'm logged off for a day or so! I could own two properties for several days and not know! What then?!'

If you show up as owning two properties, we'll check to see if you've logged on after the second has become yours. If you have - and still own two properties - we may remove one of those properties.

'But what if I log on and don't realize I've won the second property!'
Well then you didn't want it that much, did you?

In short - if you've not been on to release your primary home then you're probably fine. But if you have bid on other properties, do check regularly to see if you've won eh?
That's a very reasonable policy and I hope checking the logs to see when a player log in last time isnt too much of a time sink for the DM staff.
Svrtr wrote:

helitron

Post by helitron » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:53 pm

I thought I add this here. For properties with a property sign behind a locked door (eg Sencliff properties) there is no way to access that to place a bid. Interacting with the door says its up for sale but it's locked.

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 pm

helitron wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:53 pm
I thought I add this here. For properties with a property sign behind a locked door (eg Sencliff properties) there is no way to access that to place a bid. Interacting with the door says its up for sale but it's locked.
I was wondering about quarters like that. I've seen vaults with their sign inside the room, but they were probably cheap enough to be excluded from the system entirely. Sencliff quarters however, are very very good and should be included in the system.

Which brings me to another question, why are quarters still locked if they're unoccupied? It's both reasonable to be able to actually see a quarter IC before placing a bid, and it would naturally solve the problem of quarters with quarter sign inside them.
Svrtr wrote:

Woper_The_Black

Post by Woper_The_Black » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:34 pm

Perhaps with quarters being locked, in a logical sense the property is still owned and anything still inside would be part of the sale. It still tells you who has it up for sale. If you were that curious you could generate some RP to get in contact with the owner to "get a tour" maybe ? But I suppose if you were wanting to enter unattended like breaking into it you can do that too. The lock DC and Strength DC go to the default once the quarter is up for sale anyway