Curse weapon vfx, new unmentioned update or bug?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Curse weapon vfx, new unmentioned update or bug?

Post by cornelius_4 » Sat May 21, 2022 5:37 pm

Since today, whenever I use curse weapon, the weapon now has the red vfx glow, but this wasn't how it was for a long time until now.

What's odd is that I haven't changed anything about the weapon and neither added more effects to curse weapon. I can't see anything noted in the update thread that would cause this, so it just sort of happened out of the blue.

Sometimes it's nice to have a vfx on the weapon and sometimes it's nice not to have one. In this case, I've picked my elements such that I wouldn't normally get a vfx glow. I liked that, even though it had all sorts of effects, it looked decidedly ordinary - just the kind of weapon you could pick up and not even know it was cursed.

I'm wondering if this is something I will have to get used to or if it might be unintended?

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Curse weapon vfx, new unmentioned update or bug?

Post by Ork » Sat May 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Did you turn 21 hexblade? The vfx is applied at L21.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sat May 21, 2022 6:33 pm

Not yet, I did reach hexblade 18 and picked a hex feat.

I don't plan to go past 20, so if what you say is true, perhaps there is hope for me yet.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sat May 21, 2022 7:00 pm

Oh, wait, perhaps they mean the caster level of the feat, in this case the other levels could just happen to be from a class that, combined with 18 hexblade levels, would have an effective curse weapon caster level of 21.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Sun May 22, 2022 5:30 pm

Getting to complain and ask about these things seems almost like a luxury <3

It must be the ambient atmosphere change of the character, which does seem important still, because it does affect how the game is experienced.

But it is undoubtedly a small thing even though when I saw it, it seemed more significant. Or maybe I does change something, probably, but what I mean is, it seems like a funny problem to have and compared to what else one could worry about, this one seems managable. Heh.

And also, if one couldn't voice ones concerns about such very important topics here, I'm not sure where it could be done.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sun May 22, 2022 5:47 pm

I would actually not mind making all class-related weapon vfx toggleable. Most players by this point know the server well enough that little bits of meta creep in around the edges re: vfx. See a man with a red sword, but he can't speak animal language and isn't dripping with spellsword buffs? He's a blackguard or hexblade. Most players are pretty good about understanding that, while they understand that only 4 effects on the server give a red weapon glow (neg imbue, blade thirst, curse weapon, corrupt weapon), their character operates in a wider world where other explanations for the glow are possible, and so should not act on the information. It does, however, happen from time to time.

While this is an issue that can be resolved by reporting poor IC behavior, it would be nice to be able simply to hide it when it's not appropriate.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Sun May 22, 2022 10:18 pm

People are gonna meta one way or the other. What's vexing is that you can't put the weapon away as a hexblade. Unless you plan on walking around with a red glowing weapon you have to use it right before the fight starts.

I'd rather that the people are entirely okay for suspecting things for having a red weapon instead of having to cast curse weapon as the first before a PvP.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Mon May 23, 2022 2:07 am

"People are going to meta either way" is not, and never has been, a convincing argument for making it easier for them to do so, especially when it seems like it would be easy enough to allow a limited version of the PGCC vfx toggle (simplified to vfx on and vfx off).

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon May 23, 2022 2:47 am

I dream of a day each vfx spell can have maybe like 5-6 different visuals the caster can choose like a stream, some being mixed and matched between them.

Turn it into a giant confusing mess. I'd like to see someone try and meta their way through all those hoops.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 pm

Scurvy Cur wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 2:07 am
"People are going to meta either way" is not, and never has been, a convincing argument for making it easier for them to do so, especially when it seems like it would be easy enough to allow a limited version of the PGCC vfx toggle (simplified to vfx on and vfx off).
True but after the 8th time you kind of give up. I had people write down "Aura of Despair" as my blackguard's level 20 ability ( which still doesn't do anything btw ) in a fancy report, and god forbid you hex somebody mid PvP -- They'll know straight up what's going on. I'm all up for togglable stuff but more so my point was QoL stuff is the priority. Blackguards still only get one use of corrupt weapon and Hexblades are dealing with the issue I mentioned above.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Tue May 24, 2022 2:44 am

Tarkus the dog wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:23 pm
True but after the 8th time you kind of give up. I had people write down "Aura of Despair" as my blackguard's level 20 ability ( which still doesn't do anything btw ) in a fancy report, and god forbid you hex somebody mid PvP -- They'll know straight up what's going on. I'm all up for togglable stuff but more so my point was QoL stuff is the priority. Blackguards still only get one use of corrupt weapon and Hexblades are dealing with the issue I mentioned above.
As someone that was foolish enough to cast Dark Undertow once, yup.

As someone that now plays a dual-wielding BG, corrupt weapon makes my offhand sad.

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue May 24, 2022 7:58 pm

The red glow in this case isn't so bad - it's tied to an evil class, so it shouldn't be too out of place.
It's just something I had overlooked and I haven't had a glow effect activate this late for me before, so it caught me by surprise.

I think it shifts the atmosphere towards evil, danger and trouble. In some places, this helps, but I will (probably) miss being able to walk around without a glow effect at all, but maybe not that much and I can still walk around without the weapon drawn.

People are gonna meta one way or the other. What's vexing is that you can't put the weapon away as a hexblade. Unless you plan on walking around with a red glowing weapon you have to use it right before the fight starts.
I have noticed that the enchantment bonus is lost on unequip, but the glow and elemental bonuses are kept, which does seem a tad odd to me.
I'm not too worried about metagaming (I read it as though you probably aren't either) - I think it's only natural that information has some effect on us, but I also think most people manage not to act unreasonably upon it. I'm not sure of it, but that is the impression that I have.
I dream of a day each vfx spell can have maybe like 5-6 different visuals the caster can choose like a stream, some being mixed and matched between them.

Turn it into a giant confusing mess. I'd like to see someone try and meta their way through all those hoops.
It would be a significant change compared to now, so just because of that I'd be cautious about it. One way to have them both be distinct and variable could be to have some darker and/or brighter variants, maybe even with slight variations in color, but not enough to make it uncertain.
As someone that now plays a dual-wielding BG, corrupt weapon makes my offhand sad.
That could be a bug - somehow I've gotten it in my head that it's supposed to apply for both if you have them, but it could have been something I read from a different effect. If an effect applies to both weapons in other cases, it could be a good thing to ask if it's a bug or not.
I did think it was odd the cheese was already there when I got there.
*gets up on a chair and lights a torch* And while the above sentence may not truly have been said by anyone or even make sense, such minor inconveniences shouldn't stop us from continuing the fine art of ranting unexpectedly.

Just because some elder evil occasionally demands a sacrifice, doesn't mean I don't have days that are just regular mundane days. Am I to be draped in evil and clad in sacrifice for my ties to the terrible or is there also room for a regular adventurer with occasional evil, but also some times distanced from it? What if one has more of an arrangement with something horrible, but not necessarily have evil seeping through every part of their being. *munches on some bread* and also *mmrmph* hopefully I'm not only one that thinks it's funny to describe things this way.

MRFTW

Post by MRFTW » Wed May 25, 2022 2:43 am

cornelius_4 wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 7:58 pm
That could be a bug - somehow I've gotten it in my head that it's supposed to apply for both if you have them, but it could have been something I read from a different effect. If an effect applies to both weapons in other cases, it could be a good thing to ask if it's a bug or not.
Imbue and curse weapon apply to offhand iirc - BG's corrupt weapon has never been stated to. I could switch to using two-sided weapons, but mine is also a cavalier so I already get some exotic weapons from their proficiencies so I'm really reluctant to suck it up and pay my feat tax.

I also want to use wakizashi because they are piercing weapons with bonus slashing damage, so corrupt weapon damage and masterly damask damage should stack, with high level corrupt weapon's bonus physical damage vs good theoretically being bludgeoning.

Just got to actually level it - glass cannon melee is not my thing but we will persevere :D