Theft Questions?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Gaal

Theft Questions?

Post by Gaal » Wed May 24, 2023 3:04 pm

On Wiki, there are rules concerning excessive theft. I would like some clarification.

No Excessive Theft
Property Theft

A Player / Party is permitted to steal one single item per day from Player Owned Property. No exception.

This seems straight forward, but does this mean no more than one theft in a 24 hour time period or does it mean no more than one theft in a calendar day?

Storage Bags / Boxes / Bookshelves are containers. You cannot steal a container. You may take one stack from within however.

Can a person remove a bag or box so they can look inside as long as they return it and have it not counted as theft? Not that I would steal from other players, just inspection for contraband.

Perem, El Grotto de Gnome

Amateur Hour

Re: Theft Questions?

Post by Amateur Hour » Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 pm

That is correct. It is not theft unless the container stays in your inventory. Removing things to look at them, then promptly returning them is not theft.

While there isn't a hard-and-fast rule on the matter, I would personally say that the line between "borrowing" and stealing is whether or not you leave the quarter with an item that you didn't come in with.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Wed May 24, 2023 11:43 pm

Amateur Hour wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:37 pm

That is correct. It is not theft unless the container stays in your inventory. Removing things to look at them, then promptly returning them is not theft.

While there isn't a hard-and-fast rule on the matter, I would personally say that the line between "borrowing" and stealing is whether or not you leave the quarter with an item that you didn't come in with.

Still need to know if the only one theft per day is a 24 hour no steal from the time you steal or is it only one steal per calendar day?

Not that I am stealing, that would be wrong and illegal.

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Thu May 25, 2023 12:27 am

Gaal wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:43 pm
Amateur Hour wrote:

Still need to know if the only one theft per day is a 24 hour no steal from the time you steal or is it only one steal per calendar day?

I don't think there's been a ruling thus far, but considering we exist on a server with players in every timezone, I would recommend setting your personal cooldown timer to 24 hours from the moment of theft rather than trying to argue for when the day starts. You cannot go wrong by doing it this way because you are guaranteed to never have two thefts within any "day" as measured from any timezone.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

Ellisaria

Post by Ellisaria » Thu May 25, 2023 1:23 am

The Wiki says this on the Sleight of Hand page:

It is no longer possible to pickpocket same character in 24 hour. This means if you pickpocketed Billy, you cannot pickpocket again for 24 hours. This is now enforced with code as well.

Gaal

Post by Gaal » Thu May 25, 2023 3:21 pm

Amateur Hour wrote:
Thu May 25, 2023 12:27 am
Gaal wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 11:43 pm
Amateur Hour wrote:

I don't think there's been a ruling thus far, but considering we exist on a server with players in every timezone, I would recommend setting your personal cooldown timer to 24 hours from the moment of theft rather than trying to argue for when the day starts. You cannot go wrong by doing it this way because you are guaranteed to never have two thefts within any "day" as measured from any timezone.

You are right. I will try to keep this in mind and track when I am on so if I was to ever do criminal activity, being innocent and all of such activity, I won't get busted.