Drow Follower of Elistraee

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Bimbobasher

Re: Drow Follower of Elistraee

Post by Bimbobasher » Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 pm

These are only my opinions, and I suppose from an outside party as I play an Orog and not a drow:

I think religion has very little to do with what goes around in Andunor. There are so many separate religions from the entire Sharps district, to the slimehouses in the city, and of course, the humans.

aaa3, You say that when you're not giving cookies and such you're considered 'weird'. But no matter how many different drow religions there are, even hated ones, being a hated religion and being anti-social are two different things.

Most drow are NOT anti-social. In fact drow are usually the furthest thing from being anti-social, and almost every drow city is littered with other races. The whole 'keep your friends close and your enemies closer' thing should be taken into account. To be honest, I doubt many would care if your drow wasn't worshiping Lolth(at this point there are actually few drow who do).

But no matter what race you play, if you play someone who is socially awkward, or not social at all, you run the risk of being frowned upon, or looked at as 'weird'. Almost every character no matter what race or religion, depends on a foundation of support from their allies, tools, friends, or what have you.

So when you pass by a large group of characters patrolling, and you act suspicious to the point when even an Orog scratches her head and thinks, "That was odd," then know it's not because of whatever religion you have... it's your actions that define you. And it's your actions that make characters think one way or another towards you.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:22 pm

I though the only reason why drows fear the surface were not the surfacers, but:

1. The power that Lolth give them, vanish under the sun light. (This is because the Goddess want them chained to her dark domains) - Like getting lowered or disrupted their SR, etc -

2. After all their lives living in the UD, the drow gets several penalties when being in the surface, like getting blind for a long time untill they could become to aclimate their vision in the day.

Those two are the main reasons why drows can't try to conquer the surface... But I noticed the Arelith drows suffer very slight penalties when in the surface during day light... I wonder why.

I must believe the Arelith drows will be so afraid from the surfacers IF the DM enforce that, but to me, the points 1 and 2 makes more sense and this is what I though worked for drows.

Well... am I wrong? I may be wrong, ofc...
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:47 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:I though the only reason why drows fear the surface were not the surfacers, but:

1. The power that Lolth give them, vanish under the sun light. (This is because the Goddess want them chained to her dark domains) - Like getting lowered or disrupted their SR, etc -

2. After all their lives living in the UD, the drow gets several penalties when being in the surface, like getting blind for a long time untill they could become to aclimate their vision in the day.

Those two are the main reasons why drows can't try to conquer the surface... But I noticed the Arelith drows suffer very slight penalties when in the surface during day light... I wonder why.

I must believe the Arelith drows will be so afraid from the surfacers IF the DM enforce that, but to me, the points 1 and 2 makes more sense and this is what I though worked for drows.

If surfacers get penalties in the UD, sure.. ;)

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:52 am

Bimbobasher

It has nothing to do with religion. Most of drow aee evil, you are chaotic evil,
And come on you cross three drow you see first in the life, who are armed up to the teeth and will ever so willingly join them to venture to places you have never been to?

As every drow you know anyone would stab you to back, murder you, sacrifice you to whatever god they follow.

Especially when they are nobles. They can do anything with you in caverns and you cant say a sh..

But wait, when you refuse to join unknown group of villains your the one whos weird :mrgreen:

Bimbobasher

Post by Bimbobasher » Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:41 am

I think you're missing the point. It's sort of a symptom of ideas thought of UD RP, and the Underdark in general.

I think there's a vast difference between a CE loner running around like a crazy hermit, and a CE civilization. This as well with socializing and groups.

If there are creatures armed to the teeth and willing to have me join them... then yes. Better to have those people on your side than against you, right?

Likewise they'd have a harder time even wanting to get rid of you if they have a use for you, as a possible ally. As for Drow nobles being able to do whatever they want... this is Andunor, not Udos. The First Matron that demands complete servitude from everyone will be the first to fall.

So to answer your statement, yes, it IS weird to refuse an offer to join up with a well-armed, skilled group, cause it could mean so many things:

First and foremost is that YOU consider them enemies. The fact you use the word villains(when you would be considered such as well) just proves all the more you'd consider them an enemy, and so they'd likely make comments like "We should keep an eye on that one," or "I sense trouble from that one"

Secondly, you consider them not of use. So that could even be constrained as an insult. So in a sense an unwillingness to join a group offering a place could be far more detrimental than jumping on the bandwagon. I mean, if the lynch mob is after you, you'd know it. And if they're not after you and want you to join in on the fun, and you refuse, then yes, expect to be considered strange and ostracized... because in actuality, the one doing the ostracizing, is you.

Lastly, you're right. You're in a city full of CE creatures who'd torture you and kill you. Alone. With no support. No allies. And no way to survive if a mob of creatures decide they want to play with parts of your body and discard other parts.

In the end the UD, like most RP everywhere is this simple: Join a club or you'll be hit by a club.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:32 am

The Man of the Moon wrote:I though the only reason why drows fear the surface were not the surfacers, but:

Kuma goes off on this stuff, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong-

Your Number 2 is largely correct, but Number 1 is up for debate-

The drow were on the losing side of history. Lolth (early called some long elven word) rebelled against Corellon - I don't think drow opted to go to the Underdark. Rather, they were exiled. Forced into the worst places in the world, because they were seen unfit and too traitorous to dwell on the surface.

Similar is said of the duergar. The non-monster UD races did not opt in to the Underdark, in most cases, they were forced to be there.

Which is also why I never understood their reasoning for not making a mass exodus and reclaiming a foothold in the surface realm.

But you know Greenwood
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

livingNPC

Post by livingNPC » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:30 am

Drow being anti-social:
Drow would do anything to survive, one of the main things is hiding their true religion. Be it Eilistraee drow, hiding their true faith in fear from Vhaeraunites, or La'Laskra devoted, masking that the god was a human servant of Loviatar. And the best way to hide your secretive faith or motives, is to act like any other drow.

Cause lets face it, a drow can not act like an elf that's been wrongfully cast in the Underdark, cause EVERYONE was wrongly cast towards the Underdark in their deity's perspective. Be social, blend in (unless you serve Fenmarel Mestarine, then elven god of the lone wolf, he loaths drow btw), hide your motives.

Faith also leads towards why drow fear the surface, it's not the blindness or penalties all that much, more so the fear of being in the open, under the watchful eyes of the Seldarine, even Eilistraee drow would be fearful or nervous under their judging gaze... not to mention the danger coming from the surface races.

Another factor that would have drow fear the surface, would be the alien elements of rain, wind, random animal sounds and most importantly, open spaces, would presents an ambush from various angles... oh and a roofless sky makes them nervous above all else.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:51 am

IndifferentPerson wrote:

If surfacers get penalties in the UD, sure.. ;)

Certainly, drows have infravision or the skill to see in the darkness, while standard surfacers haven't.

So the same as a drow, could get blinded in the surface's day, surfacers should have penalties when moving through the underdark (unless they used light spells or carried torchs, or they found an enlighted area)

But it is not the same severity to live always in the shadows and get caught by the day light than those living in the day/night cycle, that then won't get blinded as severity when going from darkness to day.

Also, that was one of the countermeasures to balance a class than gets many powers (as a high SR, perhaps, that now, in Arelith, requires a normal reward on epic sacrifice).

Sorry if I went a bit off theme, just answering.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Urch

Post by Urch » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:54 am

Mithreas wrote:Or maybe we should just ban humans :)
Heh, I've always thought it'd be fun to have a server where you don't play as the standard races, but instead you play as a dungeon monster. You live in a dungeon and have to conduct raids on farmlands and such, and occasionally adventurers spawn in your dungeon of which you have to defend. If you fail, you lose gold. The stronger you get, the higher in the monster chain you get, until you become the boss.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:31 pm

Urch wrote:
Mithreas wrote:Or maybe we should just ban humans :)
Heh, I've always thought it'd be fun to have a server where you don't play as the standard races, but instead you play as a dungeon monster. You live in a dungeon and have to conduct raids on farmlands and such, and occasionally adventurers spawn in your dungeon of which you have to defend. If you fail, you lose gold. The stronger you get, the higher in the monster chain you get, until you become the boss.
They made a module for this around the end of 2nd ed called Reverse Dungeon. I never played it, but the concept always sounded really cool to me.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 am

they actually did make a video game based on this. don't recall the name, but i know it exists.
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

DM_CoffeeShop

Post by DM_CoffeeShop » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 am

Dungeon Keeper?

Preacher

Post by Preacher » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:26 am

YES! thank you coffeeeshop
You have the thanks of a grateful server conglomeration of nations... Thanks!
:) - Jjjerm

Yevon - it would have been safer for me to walk around Wharftown proclaiming Bane to be the god of love and pink frills.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:31 am

aaa3 wrote:Bimbobasher

It has nothing to do with religion. Most of drow aee evil, you are chaotic evil,
And come on you cross three drow you see first in the life, who are armed up to the teeth and will ever so willingly join them to venture to places you have never been to?

As every drow you know anyone would stab you to back, murder you, sacrifice you to whatever god they follow.

Especially when they are nobles. They can do anything with you in caverns and you cant say a sh..

But wait, when you refuse to join unknown group of villains your the one whos weird :mrgreen:
Good arguments have already been given reguarding this already - But I have my own.

I tend to rp my drow more sociable than perhaps he otherwise should be because...

It's fun.

Sure, I could run around silently grinding the same areas again, and again, and again, and again - Or I could join up with a neat party, take a risk, get more reward maybe, and get some fun rp and interaction! This isn't a single player game after all, and there's nothing wrong with bending a character concept a bit if it brings you, and those about you, more entertainment.

More to the point, I think at the point where you argue that the correct way to roleplay a character, is to avoid roleplay with all other characters... something has gone wrong somewhere.

Razmo_de

Post by Razmo_de » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:52 pm

Some things to the original poster. Facts:

1. What indifferent person said about good alignment is right, needs a normal award.

2. Being anywhere on the surface WILL get you hunted down by some surfacers (at least 30%). When you choose to live anywhere near settlements, expect the mob to come.

Suggestion:

If you want to do interaction with surfacers (you could choose instead to do your stuff fully below ground), try to have and encourage peaceful interaction with surfacers. Talk with them, be nice, etc., really tea&crumpets style. Know as a player though, that you will fail in the grand scheme of things and yield to/flee the ~30% being hostile. Don't be stupid and exchange niceties settlements/cities (there are exceptions). Have an overarching goal you want to push with this, beyond simple smalltalk.

PS: Regarding drow daylight penalties. I almost wish they would implement them. They are really crippling:
http://www.dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Light_Sens ... e_Ability)

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 pm

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:

Kuma goes off on this stuff, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong-

Your Number 2 is largely correct, but Number 1 is up for debate-

The drow were on the losing side of history. Lolth (early called some long elven word) rebelled against Corellon - I don't think drow opted to go to the Underdark. Rather, they were exiled. Forced into the worst places in the world, because they were seen unfit and too traitorous to dwell on the surface.

Similar is said of the duergar. The non-monster UD races did not opt in to the Underdark, in most cases, they were forced to be there.

Which is also why I never understood their reasoning for not making a mass exodus and reclaiming a foothold in the surface realm.

But you know Greenwood

Araushnee.

And this is also part of the whole Faer'zress thing, and why Drow magic is SUPPOSED to be wonky on the surface.
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday