Cordor Treasurey Theft...

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Cordor Treasurey Theft...

Post by CookieMonster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:02 pm

WELL. I would like to add my opinion to how the theft occured since everyone seems to assume that it was taken directly from Gerald.

I, however, have a different theory.

It is possible, to reduce the value that Cordor's Stock Piles are sold for to 0%. Then, purchase ALL of the stock for 0 Gold. Then, return this value to normal so no evidence is left behind. You then simply sell all the Stock back to Cordor, effectively draining all of its gold.

Now, importantly to mak note of and knocking Crag's theory on the head. To do this, you do not actually require a writ but simply the faction power to do so. If I am correct, the Trade Commisar, Councilers and even the Commander of the Guard usually posess this ability.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Cordor Treasurey Theft...

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:30 pm

CookieMonster wrote:If I am correct, the Trade Commisar, Councilers and even the Commander of the Guard usually posess this ability.
Historically, in Cordor, it has only been the Trade Commisar who had this ability, however The Council can use a writ to give price modification permission to any employee of the city. One oddity of the settlement system is that leaders (Councilors/Mayors) can't alter their own powers or the powers of any other concurrent leaders, so every price change by an elected leader requires a writ.

With all of that said, it's best for The Council of Cordor to delegate absolutely every task they have to someone who doesn't require writs on writs on writs to do their job, effectively putting the greatest power in the hands of the peons chosen by whoever rigged the last election, instead of someone the people actually wanted.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:57 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:Historically, in Cordor, it has only been the Trade Commisar who had this ability, however The Council can use a writ to give price modification permission to any employee of the city. One oddity of the settlement system is that leaders (Councilors/Mayors) can't alter their own powers or the powers of any other concurrent leaders, so every price change by an elected leader requires a writ.
For once, Rambling, you're wrong. Azuilah could deal with the economics after one batch of permissions.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Was that in the UD? I've only done it with surface settlements, but I've never been able to directly alter my own powers, as a leader.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

CookieMonster
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CookieMonster » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:12 pm

If i am mistaken, just ignore me. But I do believe that if you have access to the faction "Cordor" added by a Counciler and provided with appropriate powers you are able to access what elemnts of the system allowed.. I am certain that the Councilers can add themselves to the faction and add additional powers to themselves.
DM Spyre wrote:Someone has watched too much Dragonball Super.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:49 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:Was that in the UD? I've only done it with surface settlements, but I've never been able to directly alter my own powers, as a leader.
It was, yeah, with Andunor.
CookieMonster wrote:If i am mistaken, just ignore me. But I do believe that if you have access to the faction "Cordor" added by a Counciler and provided with appropriate powers you are able to access what elemnts of the system allowed..
That's right. And then you can be removed afterwards, too.
CookieMonster wrote:I am certain that the Councilers can add themselves to the faction and add additional powers to themselves.
Not without a writ per power, which was what Rambling was saying.
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:39 pm

One of the issues with Writs from my understanding is once you have one you could use it 3 years later. So an idea was brought up IG for putting a date the writ was issued and how long its good for. But there is no way to make Gerald enforce these dates and not give gold after. When you think of the million Cordor has last over the years just seems strange that the guy actually in charge wouldn't of come down on this to stop his city from nearly being bankrupted so many times.

But not being a dev I am not sure what's possible, what's not, and what would be so hard to do that its not worth the effort. My biggest issue is how easy it is to do and not get caught. Stealing millions should be risky and difficult imo. Changes would also make it so at least more rp is put in to how you are going to pull the heist off. Again I am not against robbery, Heck a place like the underdark where so many evil people are about you would think robbing the treasury would be a constant threat to happen. Just in a place like Cordor how often it happens and how easy it is to do.

Again some of ideas are:
Log of who withdraws coin - Seems a town would want to keep track of its money somehow.
Only trade commissioner can withdraw coins or grant access to withdraw coins- this would have the benefit of if millions vanish people immiedtly know who to talk to. They would have to explain why the coin was taken out and who received the coin.
Limit on amount that can be taken out at once
As someone suggested make it so writs vanish after so many days. This would help the put dates on writs IG idea and make it actually enforceable.
Or worst idea would be before robbing the treasury you would need DM approval. Sending a PM on why and how you plan to do it.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Sab1 wrote:One of the issues with Writs from my understanding is once you have one you could use it 3 years later.
AFAIK writs are only valid for as long as both signees are still councilors.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:15 pm

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Sab1 wrote:One of the issues with Writs from my understanding is once you have one you could use it 3 years later.
AFAIK writs are only valid for as long as both signees are still councilors.
Nope. Not as currently implemented, though it's quite high up my list of things to change.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:36 pm

That is disturbing.

Morderon
Technical Lead
Technical Lead

Post by Morderon » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:31 pm

A councilor should be able to be granted powers.

It might take several writs to set them up (adding members.. adding the actual power(s).. changing the rank not that it's needed just keeps everything pretty).

But once they have the power to say revoke shops they shouldn't need the power again to revoke shops.

Sab1

Post by Sab1 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:50 am

But revoking a shop is a lot different then taking out coin from treasury. I have no idea if the script can differ between writs. But which do you think the town would prefer someone needing a writ everytime to take a shop or someone being able to use a three year old writ to clean out the town coffers?