Sorceror build.

You have questions? We may have answers.
SwampFoot

Re: Sorceror build.

Post by SwampFoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:44 pm

That, actually didn't help. It lists the changes but not the original bonus to spell focuses.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:46 pm

Found it. Bonus DC to saving throws. Would this effect a spell like Tensers when hit with a dispel?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:50 pm

No, but if you take Arcane Defense: Abjuration then it will boost your resistance to dispelling by 2 levels.

SwampFoot

Post by SwampFoot » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:04 am

Meaning one would need SF: Abjuration as well.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:16 am

Sure, but everyone loves SF/GSF: Abjuration. Missile Storms can be a pain without them.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:45 am

The above is why I disagree with the proposal of the missile storms as -musts.- They are good spells, but tactically speaking I would rather take ice storm (especially if you're going pure caster, as the scaling cold damage doesn't stop all the way up to 30) and chain lightning.

Chain lightning maxed will hit more targets and so do more damage overall to a crowd, and if I've got my math right at max level Ice storm is a total of 15d6 saveless damage AoE. Max that and you'll do way more than you will with a lesser missile storm, not to mention destroy anyone's energy buffer spell in one go unless they're toting some SR (but that would stop your missile storms, too.)
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:01 am

Even though some characters can block them, it's still good to have missile storms, because their damage can't be resisted. It's either blocked or it's not, and for the majority of enemies, it isn't.

Energy Buffer or Protection from Elements and Stoneskin will take the majority of the punch out of two Ice Storms. Ice Storm's biggest advantage is that its damage doesn't get spread out when used on a group.

I'd keep both handy. If you don't see a shield, go for missile storms. If you do, adjust tactics.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:32 am

Also playing a non-optimum sorcerer I can tell you, its still tons of fun and my sorc is still plenty effective. A cheap way to get by with low basic STR is to enchant rings/daggers/staffs with STR. My goblin being short, accomplishes this not with a staff, but with daggers - both of his daggers are enchanted with STR. (easy since in the UD you can roam about in the city with your weapons drawn)

I also learned the importance of buddies and/or summons, so if you can invest some in Conjuration, do so, or just get yourself a hunting/exploring buddy. Or buy a few golems.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Peppermint

Post by Peppermint » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:06 pm

Psst. Shield can be breached.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:48 pm

That was my first thought, when considering the effectiveness of missile storms, but Shield is #28 on the breach list. If you have Mords, you're good. If you have Greater Spell Breach, you have a good chance, although there are five commonly used buffs before you hit Shield. If you only have Lesser Spell Breach, chances are that you're going to eat Mage Armor and either Stoneskin or an elemental protection spell, and then your face is going to be smashed off while you go for a second casting.