Arcane Casters and non optimized spell choices

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

All The Sinners Saints

Arcane Casters and non optimized spell choices

Post by All The Sinners Saints » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:49 am

I am playing a sorceror, and several spells that are normally the "bread and butter" of arcane caster classes, like IGMS are not ones that I can terribly easily justify for my character, based on bloodline and concept. My question is that how much will not picking spells like this gimp an arcane spell caster in both pvm, and pvp?

RED GANOT
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Arcane Casters and non optimized spell choices

Post by RED GANOT » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:03 am

Not too badly. I have had two anti-evocation arcanists, and they did fine. Notably, they excelled in PvM. I do not have too many PvP encounters to judge from, but I believe I can think of a few viable strategies. Enchantment, abjuration, and conjuration are your friends.
When my brood and I soar on wings of fire, and wreak our scourge over Caer Callidyrr; your kith will fall and your kin will too- then what will all of Moonshae do?

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:12 am

I played a pure sorcerer to epic levels who had a total of 3 offensive spells (1 damage spell, 1 damage/disable, and 1 disable), not counting acid sheath. It's definitely doable. This was before sorc paths.

You won't be the most powerful sorcerer in the world, but if your RP is fun and entertaining enough, and you provide some good buffs, then people will want you along anyway.

Urch

Post by Urch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 am

It's always refreshing to see mages cast something that isn't a commonly picked spell. It breaks out of that mold that not all mages are carbon copies of each other.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:23 pm

Lorkas wrote:I played a pure sorcerer to epic levels who had a total of 3 offensive spells (1 damage spell, 1 damage/disable, and 1 disable), not counting acid sheath. It's definitely doable. This was before sorc paths.

You won't be the most powerful sorcerer in the world, but if your RP is fun and entertaining enough, and you provide some good buffs, then people will want you along anyway.
Now I'm curious. What spell foci?

My first instinct when people say they don't have disables or damage spells is, "they are either conjurors or necromancers."

Prove me wrong?
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:29 pm

Divination and abjuration. I had no creature-summoning spells at all.

I did have shapechange, but that was worthless with that character apart from as a defensive tool.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:57 pm

"Impressive!"
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Twily
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Twily » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Mage classes can definitely be experimented with like this. I made a lightning/frost true flame once, and had very few issues with it, despite having no fire or missile spells

Urch

Post by Urch » Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:32 pm

Truestrike + ghoul touch/vampiric touch is always funny. Works with Pale masters since they can get the AC to survive being closer in melee.
For only $1 a day you can sponsor someone with chronic altitis.

Another day, another Doug.

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:35 am

Believe it or not, sometimes the non-optimized route is in your benefit in pvp.

Some things some people consider "optimized" actually aren't that good, or come with too big a sacrifice to be worthwhile. Even if this isn't the case, a lot of people expect "optimized" in pvp and have already prepared for such.

Short version: sometimes "optimized" is predictable, and being unpredictable works in your benefit more than having high numbers on your character sheet.

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:09 am

is there any hidden benefit in using ranged or touch based spells? i read somewhere that if successful on a ranged touch you can bypass sr or spell immunity and hit for near maximum damage on your rolls? is that true?

or is it simply another check you have to bypass and saves and sr and damage rolls all work the same?
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

msterswrdsmn

Post by msterswrdsmn » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:34 am

Touch spells, both melee and ranged, ignore a good portion of the targets AC. Armor/deflection/shield AC is lost, I think? The downside with casters is that it uses caster AB to make an attack.

Beyond that, any further benefit would probably depend on the spell. I'm not sure about SR interactions.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:09 am

Touch spells hit your "touch AC" - this ignores all Deflection, Natural, Armour and Shield bonuses from your equipment and gear.

Dex bonuses and Dodge bonuses are retained.

Typically, touch-based attacks are pretty good against non-dex foes. Unfortunately, these are the guys without Evasion, typically, anyways.
Previous:

frightnight

Post by frightnight » Sun Mar 22, 2015 9:36 am

thx for that
"You have died...Your corpse has been picked up...Your corpse has been dropped..Player you thought was your ally has left the group."
(the ultimate betrayl..)

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:02 pm

On my wizard, who is tucked away atm, has foci in conjuration, divination (good for scrying, not much else) and transmutation.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat