Creating Content Change through RP?

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Creating Content Change through RP?

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:26 pm

So, I've heard a few times that exerting enough consistent and fleshed out roleplay toward enacting a change in one of the content instances of the server can sometimes result in an actual developer change. Sometimes small (like adding a permanent fixture), sometimes large (like adding entirely new entrances to an area or a shift to the thematic architecture).

One story I was told was that one of the factions of Andunor role played enough mining in the Andunor Silver Mines to convince the devs to create a second entrance to the area.

There are one or two changes I have in mind that I would like to pursue, what would be the best way to pursue those goals (both in terms of both in game actions and out-of-game application process)? I'm not looking for specific FOIG advice, more just asking for a general idea of what the team tends to recognize as compelling and valid steps toward seeking some RP created dev change.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Gouge Away

Re: Creating Content Change through RP?

Post by Gouge Away » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:45 pm

End of the day you're appealing to the dev's whims. Either one will be inspired to make a change or they won't, and if they won't there's no amount of effort or RP that will make it happen. I'm not saying this to be negative but that's the attitude you may need to take. There's no "earning" module change here.

Every now and then you do get noticed and someone says that's a good idea and feels like putting in the effort and it happens but that is pretty rare. It certainly wouldn't hurt to let the DM team and active devs know what you're up to (without nagging or demanding or flooding them with messages.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 pm

I've a whole essay on this written somewhere... but the jist is.

Yes, it can happen. But it's rare and depends on a lot of different factors.

Don't try for it because you want it to succeed.

Try for it because it's a fun thing to do. Try for it because you'll enjoy the process but, on an ooc level, be ready for failure.

If you try for a change because it's fun, then whether or not it happens is irrelevent. You had fun and that's what it's all about.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:39 pm

A fine example of chasing content changes is Benwick. A lot of groups, when discovering it and its previous history, want to revert it back to its original state. Noble, exciting, and overall just sounds like fun. In my 4-5 odd years of being on the server, I have seen approximately 3 groups quickly give up on that idea.

My current character wants to do the same but less for the reason of re-establishing it as a great bastion of light and more to preserve the ruins to be studied as a means to magically prevent something similar occurring again, discovering lost artifacts, and as a place of pilgrimage to remind individuals of chasing poor ambitions leads to.

If the staff told me nothing I would do would yield any changes, I wouldn't mind. I would make the best of fixtures (which is why I took carpentry, arguably one of the worst tradeskills) and enjoy what I did accomplish. Go in it with that mindset. In good sports I hope the DM that says no attempts to draw together a mini-plot to explain why you wouldn't yield any changes, and that resistance in itself would probably yield more fun than straight succeeding.

While it's now defunct, that's how the half-orc camp existed. Months of just using fixtures in/near Wharftown. At one point they were even struck with a tsunami of sorts (IC reasons behind it but could've been a deal breaker for some players) but they persisted and now that half-orc camp near the Crow's Nest exists.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:29 pm

Ack! sorry, forgot to actually reply to this thread that I started.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input. It was helpful to get a sense of what mindset and gameplay to apply when doing something like this.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"