Mid-Level Start Characters

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Hunter548

Mid-Level Start Characters

Post by Hunter548 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:29 pm

How will the starting gold/equipment be determined with the launch of New Guldorand? Will they have the same amount of starting equipment as a level 3? Will they be given some amount of gold to equip themselves roughly akin to their peers at whatever level they start at?
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: Mid-Level Start Characters

Post by Quidix » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:23 pm

And a follow-up question, can the award be used to get an instant mid-level commoner too? (that would seem odd, as it's probably faster to level up another character, get a normal, and then start a commoner)

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:45 pm

I only read about the normal reward. What’s this about mid-lvl characters?

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm

I have added a mid-level start location for non-ud characters. It is a normal reward option, and starts at level 14 with 30,000 GP.

There will be no mid-level reward option for the UD.

I think the first days and week in the city will be critical for its history, and a great time to get involved.

Remember too that the city is itself an extension of Skal, given the two will be connected by ship, with the latter, effectively being it's own low level environment.

The city is, in effect a consolidation of 3 existing server locations, Myon, Guldorand and Skaljard.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:22 pm

I'm so happy to hear that Skaljard is being tied to the new Guldorand. CONTINUITY is a huge issue for Skaljard characters.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:51 pm

Aha, Thanks for clearing that up

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:56 pm

Irongron wrote:
Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:30 pm
I have added a mid-level start location for non-ud characters. It is a normal reward option, and starts at level 14 with 30,000 GP.
30k GP feels pretty low; that's barely enough to buy a suit of mithril fullplate and a greensteel weapon at current market prices, or you could spend half of it filling your misc. gear slots with single +1 STAT gear.

Gold is easy enough to come by that I don't think I've played a single character in over a decade who hasn't been pushing 50-100k saved up before level 10; any chance of that number being revisited?
what would fred rogers do?

Gouge Away

Post by Gouge Away » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:50 am

It's lowish but maybe that's good. It's great incentive to find a faction who can help outfit you or to get crafting right away. On the event weekend in particular every faction looking to grow ought to have recruiters and ads up courting all these naked level 14s and offering benefits for joining.

And if some epic is flush with cash and wants to play being a loanshark here's a golden opportunity. I think you'd be lucky to break even since a lot of characters would borrow cash and disappear for good, but could still be fun RP.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:55 am

There with Gouge. The lack of full-blown independence could be a plus for encouraging the existence of large groups, which seems to be the intent for Guldorand given the assortment of group-driven NPC councillors.

Jagel

Post by Jagel » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:13 am

Honestly, I’d still consider that reward even if there was no extra gold.

Kobayashimaru

Post by Kobayashimaru » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:35 am

Experience tells me that some of the most enjoyable time in Arelith, for quite a few of my previous characters, happened from lvl 3-15.

On the other hand, it's nice to have the possibility to start already with a higher level, and aiming for some build or objective you have in mind, without having to go through all those levels.