Character Inventory, Quarter Chests & Reverting Servers

You have questions? We may have answers.
andthenthatwasthat

Character Inventory, Quarter Chests & Reverting Servers

Post by andthenthatwasthat » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:39 pm

I know this falls under "When bad things (and one mildly amusing thing) happen to mediocre adventurers like me", but I do have a question about server reverting.

How does reverting deal with character inventories and quarter chests (might as well add shops to the question)? Is there a procedure behind it and is there a priority to "save" some things over others? Or can anything happen and it is just random or dependent on the nature of the revert?

Yesterday, my character pulled out some runic materials and a massive amount of glass and coal from his quarter chest (and a few other minor items for his shop), and put a Greensteel shield in. Then crafted over 100 glass vials and bottles. Then went about his business and I logged out.

Today, I logged in and noticed that my inventory has been reverted (along with some small amount of lost XP). The glass vials and bottles are gone... runic material is gone... Greensteel shield (which I care least about) is back in my character inventory. I checked the quarter chest and the Greensteel shield is also in the chest (a duplicate).

It looks like the revert was selective, but this confuses me the most. Why? Wouldn't this cause exactly erratic behavior of missing and duplicated items? Why not revert everything including chests?

Hinty

Re: Character Inventory, Quarter Chests & Reverting Servers

Post by Hinty » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:30 pm

Characters are backed up twice a day, so every 12 hours or so.

I am guessing that stuff like quarters and personal chests, which the game was not designed to save, are stored on a separate file that was either unaffected by the rollback, or is backed up more frequently. Certainly there are FAR fewer personal storages, and they contain far far far less items than even a relatively new character, so backing them up would not be nearly so resource intensive.