The Time Update: FAQS/Read me!

You have questions? We may have answers.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Re: The Time Update: FAQS/Read me!

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:18 am

Flower Power wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:58 am
Another question came to me.

How will this impact properties leased to settlements via the auction system? Castle Gloom, Darrowdeep, etc.
We could expect to see 2-3 auctions per RL year for each property, but 5 IG years is now the better part of 2 RL years.

Will they remain on a 5-IG year timer, and thus be tied to a given settlement for over a RL year per auction, or will the duration of their lease be "dropped" to 1-1/2 IG years (which is precisely the same amount of time, 168 RL days, as 5 IG years used to be.)
Land brokerage property periods were updated along with the time change, which is sort of implied where it mentions that all mentions of IG years now refer to IG quarters, but that should have been one of the systems specified! I've updated the second post with those details, and here's a copy of the relevant info (both the original summary, and newly-added details about land brokerage specifically):
Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 am
[...]

You also may have noticed the inclusion of a row for "IG Quarters," or 3 IG months. To understand why, see below:

Length of one IG year (10x timescale): 33.6 RL days
Length of three IG months (3x timescale): 28 RL days
Length of four IG months (3x timescale): 37.33 RL days

It's much easier to keep track of 28 RL days than it is to keep track of 37.33 RL days. This also means that events which used to be yearly, can now be quarterly (which is way more convenient than doing something "triannually").

[...]

Settlements: Land Brokerage
All land brokerage areas have had their terms changed directly from IG years to IG quarters - that is to say, a land brokerage term of 2 IG years (used to be 67.2 RL days) is now 2 IG quarters (6 IG months) (56 RL days).

Done.

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:37 am

Good to know - thanks!
what would fred rogers do?

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: The Time Update: Events from 1372+ in Arelith

Post by CragOrion » Wed Jun 30, 2021 3:05 am

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:19 am
EVENTS FROM 1372 AND ON THAT HAVE HAPPENED ON ARELITH'S TIMELINE
Format:
Year it happened in the Arelith timeline (Year it happened in the WotC timeline) - The Thing that Happened

Example that you'll never ever see:
1373 DR (1385 DR) - The Spellplague begins

THE LIST:
**** DR* (1372 DR*) - The Resurrection of Bane*
**** DR* (1372 DR*) - The return of Thultanthar and arrival of the Shadovar*
**** DR* (1372 DR*) - Elminster trapped in the Nine Hells*

*NOTE: These events are unique in that they have been part of the established Arelith canon for many RL years, despite technically being 'recent.' Because it wouldn't make sense to suddenly refer to them as having been recent events, they should fall under a similar case of 'no backdating' as described above. It remains best not to refer to them in terms of AR or DR, and to avoid referencing them in a chronological context. This is no different to how we already treat them.
Hi there ^.^;

Hope you've all been well

So I'm trying to wrap my head around this and finding it pretty confusing, so sorry if I'm not understanding this right. It sounds like you're taking the cutoff date (173 AR) and making that 1372 DR and because that was the original year we stopped listening to WotC when the server was made and now its moved to a recent year, we have to be floofy in how we reference past events.

I guess I don't understand why we don't just say "1373 DR was year 0 AR" and then start counting upwards in tandem from there, making AR 173 = 1545 DR. Then we should have no issue referring to, say, the revival of Bane as something that happened a long time ago since, in the server's continuity, it was a long time ago.

Wouldn't that be a simple way to deal with it? (Again, sorry if I'm not understanding this properly)

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Because that was the original decision made over my head and I'm not redoing time again LOL.

Done.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:28 pm

But my brain T-T

https://bfy.tw/RCLu
:p

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

AddledPunster
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by AddledPunster » Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 pm

Hello!

I'm looking to verify how long it is from when one registers as a Citizen of a Settlement before they are able to vote. The Wikipedia currently says it's one in-game year, but I can't tell if that's based on the old system and hasn't been updated yet, or if that's still an accurate figure after the time change.

EDIT: My character's giving a lecture in civics so I'm pretending she's bothering Elder Harmon for the details so she doesn't look like a doofus when she's asked that likely question.

Previously Played: Cheryl Garrio, the Rat Witch of Guldorand. Gwenllian Auburnridge, Spelljammer enthusiast.

Pippo

Post by Pippo » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:03 pm

AddledPunster wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 pm
Hello!

I'm looking to verify how long it is from when one registers as a Citizen of a Settlement before they are able to vote. The Wikipedia currently says it's one in-game year, but I can't tell if that's based on the old system and hasn't been updated yet, or if that's still an accurate figure after the time change.

EDIT: My character's giving a lecture in civics so I'm pretending she's bothering Elder Harmon for the details so she doesn't look like a doofus when she's asked that likely question.
I joined as Citizen in a settlement, and one week or so after that I could vote for a leadership challenge.
Maybe they removed the limit?

Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:26 pm

Vote cooldown got incorrectly zapped it looks like! Am taking a look at some of the funky year skipping now anyway (don't panic, talking about the cosmetic one), so will include a fix for this while I'm at it. Fix will be in announcements once it's live, and will be added to my FAQ post here too.

Done.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 am

Question about 'dusk' versus night (mechanical 'night').
Wiki wrote:Spring (Months 3-5):

Dawn at 0700, Dusk at 1900

Summer (Months 6-8):

Dawn at 0600, Dusk at 2000

Autumn (Months 9-11):

Dawn at 0700, Dusk at 1900

Winter (Months 12-2):

Dawn at 0800, Dusk at 1800
Right now it's month 5 at 19:15 hours, but the sun is most definitely still a-blazin' in Sencliff. Is night always at the same time regardless of season? (I think like hour 2000?)

Maybe as a suggestion to go with: maybe when day or night officially arrived there could go with the tick 'The sun has risen. It is day,' and, 'the sun has set. It is night.'

Might be helpful for players to know when they can come out (or when they might want to go in :twisted: )
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.